• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Crashing at 99%

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running a mac with latest version of catalina 10.15.3 and photoshop.   Since running Catalina  I constanly have issues saving files to my external SSD.   The crash and stop at 99%.  I have seen other post but is there a fix to the issue.   Please don't ask to save LOCALLY.   This is not a standard practice anymore.  The Local drive is more for running system and apps.  SSD can't handle the number of images I work with.  I use an external SSD to save all files.   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I recently I saw a thread in which the way a drive was formatted made the difference (I think APFS was the one). 

How did you format the SSD? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't use apfs for this drive it needs to be exfat.  Anyway exfat should not be an issue.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try and see if the issue is absent with APFS (and I cannot make promises about this) or you can wait for some other advice/solution, it’s up to you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot use an ExFAT drive currently unless you save to a Mac-formatted drive then copy with the Finder. Photoshop on Catalina will not save.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue and please do NOT ask me to format my drive to somehting else. Its Ex-FAT and has to be as I use it for Mac and PC work.

This really needs to be fixed and it's driving me crazy. I've reverted to an older version in the meantime!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably you're running Photoshop v 21.0.2 under Catalina?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Catalina issue.

Please read the attached article on why the new Mac OS security requires different formatting for your external HD:

https://iboysoft.com/ntfs-for-mac/how-to-solve-external-hard-drive-read-only-mac-without-formatting.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Catalina-only issue.

Please read the attached article on why and how to remedy the external HD issue with the OS:

https://iboysoft.com/ntfs-for-mac/how-to-solve-external-hard-drive-read-only-mac-without-formatting.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read the article and this has nothing to do with the issue of not being able to save to an exteranl Ex-FAT hard drive.

All my permissions are fine and everything is ok.

There should be no problem writing to external ExFAT drives and the only issue I have with doing this is within Photoshop. Every other piece f software is fine. This is not a Catalina issue!

But thanks for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It all comes down to speed and volume of information.

I've had files fail out and corrupt when saving large databases out of Office so it's not only Adobe.

The core issue comes down to the added security in Mojave and Catalina (Catalina is much worse).

When saving directly to an external, Photoshop saves faster than the drive can write with the new Catalina security restrictions.

Add to that the incompatibility with certain drive formats NFTS, etc. and it will cause Photoshop to buffer at 99% until saving is completed (if it ever does).

If this was a Photoshop only issue then you wouldn't be able to save to your local without issue as well.

It's not like Photoshop is going "oh this is external so I'm going to change my save protocols".

The reason saving to local and copying over works is it writes at the same speed as the drive.

Other users on different posts have noted that connecting using a different USB format (C or B) has made a difference with this issue.

Until either Apple addresses this new security issue, NFTS and ExFAT will continue to have issues with Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read here it is a known issue:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html#Savingdoesntcompletewhensavin...

So I wonder if it is supposed to already fixed or waiting. I will have to get in the habit of using my PSDs on my inetranl drive (only 128Gb!) and copy back when I have finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines