• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS3 color management "Save for Web" problem

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2007 Oct 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is getting the best of me.......

After spending 3 full days researching this problem, I am no closer to finding an answer than when I started. I still cannot produce a usable image through the "Save for Web" feature of Photoshop CS3. I have read web page after web page of "Tips, Tricks and Recommendations" from dozens of experts, some from this forum, and still I have no solution... I am exhausted and frustrated to say the least. Here's the simple facts that I know at this point.

I have a web design project that was started in PS CS1. All artwork was created in photoshop and exported to JPG format by using "Save for Web". Every image displays correctly in these browsers (Safari, Camino, FireFox and even Internet Explorer on a PC).

I have recently upgraded to PS CS3 and now cannot get any newly JPG'd image to display correctly. My original settings in CS1 were of no concern to me at the time, because it always just worked, and so I do not know what they were. I have opened a few of my previous images in CS3 and found that sRGB-2.1 displays them more or less accurately. I am using sRGB 2.1 working space. Upon openning these previous image files, I get the "Missing Profile" message and of course I select "Leave as is. Do Not color manage". CS3 assumes sRGB-2.1 working space, opens the file, and all is well.

The problem is when I go to "Save for Web", the saturation goes up, and the colors change. The opposite of what most people are reporting. Here's another important point... new artwork created in CS3 does exactly the same thing, so it's not because of the older CS1 files.

I have tried every combination of "uncompensated color", "Convert to sRGB", "ICC Profile", etc. while saving. I have Converted to sRGB before saving, and my monitor is calibrated correctly.
I have tried setting the "Save for Web" page on 2-up and the "original" on the left is already color shifted before I even hit the "Save" button. Of course, the "Optimized" image on the right looks perfect because I am cheating by selecting the "Use Document Color Profile" item. Why do they even have this feature if doesn't work, or misleads you?

Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening here? Why is this all so screwed up?
CS1 worked fine out of the box.

Final note: I do have an image file I could send along that demonstrates how it is possible to display an image exactly the same in all 4 of the browsers I mentioned with no color differences. It is untagged RGB and somehow it just works.

I am very frustrated with all of this and any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks,
Pete

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 683 Replies 683
Explorer ,
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been said, most Web users have uncalibrated monitors and have no idea what calibration is all about or why one would want it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm glad it's debunked then, and that you took the initiative to tell him. I wouldn't mind to remove the link myself if there was a way I could on here. Btw, it wasn't intentionally posted to reck someones work flow. I ran across it trying to fix my problem, but it wouldn't of helped me anyway. good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

g

Many thanks for this thread and your page. I have a Dell 2408 on mac and was going crazy with the cartoon colors. It works well on Firefox3 thankfully, but pretty much in all other apps, it looks idiotic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ramon

It is about saving MY eyesight and sanity - I don't give a damn about others. You should see reds and greens on the Dell 2408.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, that problem came to light on this threads.

here is a much shorter read on using wide-gamut monitors on Macs
> g ballard, "Wide Gamut Monitors" #1, 8 Sep 2008 5:36 pm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2009 Aug 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. Great thread.

I too have a problem with SFW since CS3, which I never encountered before in previous versions of PS.

Quite simply, when I try to use SFW, the color shifts. If I toggle between the Original and various Optimized tabs in SFW you can see the shift clearly (see screen shots). It is therefore impossible to use SFW.

I have read and read and experimented with lots of settings to no avail. CS3 SFW is handling color differently than previous versions. Period. Or I've found a bug.

To prove this, if I take a file (see link below) and do a Save As to JPEG, the colors do not shift. If I take that same image into SFW the colors do shift, plus as you'll see from the screen shots there is a display bug in the Optimized view of SFW:

http://www.vidiotsvideo.com/whatsnewtest.html

I don't feel this is a monitor or calibration issue, even knowing these certainly effect output, but regardless of that, how can the same file output correctly using Save As... and be wrong using SFW if there isn't an issue, if not a bug, with SFW?

Thanks for any help, as SFW is not usuable for me.

Regards,
Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shmerls wrote:

I don't feel this is a monitor or calibration issue, even knowing these certainly effect output, but regardless of that, how can the same file output correctly using Save As... and be wrong using SFW if there isn't an issue, if not a bug, with SFW?

Thanks for any help, as SFW is not usuable for me.

Regards,
Steven

Well that statement says to me you don't have a calibrated monitor. Photoshop uses the custom monitor profile to display your image correctly on your computer.

with CS3 you need to convert to sRGB before using save for web. Now that browsers are becoming color managed include the profile.

If you read this whole thread you would know all this, you would also know that very few people have calibrated monitors so most of the people viewing your images are not seeing what you see, and wide gamut monitors are a bit over saturated. So if you have a Wide gamut monitor that is part of your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Buko. I calibrated the best I could. I have a HP LP3065 30" flat screen. The problem is that HP doesn't have calibrating software for this monitor that runs on Mac. And the Mac calibration software doesn't seem to address all the aspects of a full calibration for this HP. But I am no expert here.

I got a great price on this montitor and they are rated very well. But I wish I had had the money to stay with Apple brand for my monitor.

But my SFW issue I think is the convert to sRGB as you say as found in the flyout menu in the SFW interface. I did miss this you were correct, but have now found it and after unselecting it see that the color shift has ceased!

Thank you for you kind help and concern. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have this issue 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines