• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4 vs. CS4 Extended Student Edition

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2009 Feb 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CS2, and it's incompatible with Vista on my laptop. At this point I'm going to buy some version of Photoshop CS4. So here are my questions:

- What's the difference between Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop CS4 Extended? The extended version Student Edition is significantly cheaper.
- Should I just buy the regular Photoshop CS4 Upgrade or is the student/education edition of Photoshop CS4 cheaper?

At this point it's a matter of what to buy and what's the least expensive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2009 Feb 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, but are you a student in the sense of being entitled based on Adobe's terms and conditions? If so, the question should answer itself. In that case it wouldn't even matter, if you own a previous version...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2009 Feb 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe to help clarify or repeat myself, my main question concerns the Education store.

I noticed that two products seem practically the same but the price difference is large:

Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended - $299
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended Student Edition - $199

What is the difference here? By getting the Student Edition am I losing more of the software's capabilities for price or is it just the label of 'Student Edition' that's lowering the price?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Student version prohibit commercial work...academic versions allow it
and come with full upgrade rights.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2009 Jul 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice you were communicating with someone else about the difference between student and education versions of cs4.  i too am confused. I'm not fussed about being able to use cs4 commercially.  I am a student - but don't know whether to buy the student version or the education version.  I just want to make sure I will be able to get the updates they occasionally produce.  Can you offer any advice? Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2009 Jul 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pennie, the software is all the same. All licenses can be updated with patches for free and upgraded to a newer version for a price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood the only difference between student and educational versions was that only the educational license could be used commercially while the student edition cannot. When the student edition is upgraded later, it becomes a regular retail/commercial license.

>What is the difference here?

There is no difference in the content of the software (student, educational, site license, or retail). The difference is the license that controls what kind of work you can do with it and where you can install the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And whether you're eligible to buy it.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Student edition is not eligible for any upgrades whatsoever?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2009 Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what the upgrade policy is for student editions. Check with
Adobe.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2009 Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were to get the Student edition, would I be able to post my work/artwork online, galleries, etc.? Or is that considered commercial?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2009 Feb 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only if you're getting paid for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2009 Feb 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the clarifications..

ok,, so function wise there are differences...

i need to understand one thing..

i am a photographer..
if i want to sell my photos which had been processed/edited by this edition...
(personal benefit)
is that against the license?...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2009 Feb 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be commercial use...prohibit with the student edition.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reviewing the EULA for PS CS4, and particularly in searching for all contextual use of "education" or "commercial", I see nothing whatsoever that bars the commercial use of Photoshop by someone who has purchased under the Educational discount program. In fact, even ignoring the educational purchase limitations (such as license transfer), I see nothing stating anything with regard to commercial use of the software except in regards to fonts.

The closest restriction I see to falling into this area of concern is 2.5 Restrictions on Secondary Use by Volume Licensees, yet that paragraph specifically excludes educational licensees from being affected.

I suspect that so long as one meets the requirements as a qualified educational end user, then they are entitled to use Photoshop in whatever manner they see fit. This only makes sense, given that one does not need the latest and greatest version of any software to use it in a professional capacity. For example, if a full-time student in their last year or two of college bought a full version of Photoshop or any other Adobe software, and continued to use that software in a professional capacity upon graduation, then I see nothing that gives Adobe the rights to prohibit such use. I also consider it 1) highly unlikely that Adobe would ever become aware of whether an individual's use of PS is for commercial verus non-commercial reasons, as well as 2) never would seek to stop such use since continued use of their products would likely encourage a future upgrade.

Bob, if I've missed something that you know of in the license agreement that bars commercial use of Adobe software purchased under the educational discount, I'd sure welcome your pointing that out. I don't want to offer bad advice to anyone, but will certainly encourage purchasing the software at the best possible price for which a person is eligible.

Mika, in general, I would say that if CS4 Extended is signficantly cheaper than CS4 Standard, then I'd go with Extended. But, I think this also would require you to purchase the upgrades for the Extended version in the future, which are considerably more expensive than Standard. So, you should really review the feature comparison at http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/compare and decide if the extra features of Extended warrant purchasing it a lower price now, while potentially finding it more costly in the long run to to the upgrade costs. I'm sure that for a great many Photoshop users, the Standard version is as much as they need, but I think too there may be some features that are common to both Standard and Extended, yet more still offering more capabilities in Extended, and that doesn't appear to be clarified in the comparison table.

Another thing...while I say there is a greater long-term cost in owning Extended and upgrading it, I vaguely recall someone (Dave Milbut??) talking about upgrading from CS3 Extended to CS4 Standard, and being able to do so although that is not shown as an allowed upgrade path. So, if you wanted to upgrade in the future from CS4 to CS5, 6, etc., but downgrade in capability from Extended to Standard, perhaps that can be done through coordination with Adobe, and that would render my point moot about the cost of long-term upgrades if you start from CS4 Extended.

Regards,

Daryl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daryl,

The student version is different than the education/academic version.
Commercial use is prohibited.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah...thanks for the clarification Bob. I so quickly jumped in my mind from Student Edition (which I've never heard of) to thinking of the education/academic version, that I missed the difference.

I just found a different upgrade eligibility table (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/upgrade/?view=available) from what I first saw, and it does show one can upgrade from CS3 Extended to CS4 Standard, but it does point out Adobe must be contacted for that particular upgrade path.

Daryl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only mention of Student in the EULA is that if the student buys a student version then that student can never transfer ownership. The student can only install the software on one computer period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, if you go to the "United Kingdom" student site and read the very bottom: Sums up to be commercial use is not allowed.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/students/studentedition/eligibility.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is worth noting that these EULAs are regional and not every area
allows commercial work with the academic license.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Bob, it is definitely worth noting, and unless Adobe has made an oversight on their USA website, the commercial use restriction doesn't apply here or I've just yet to find it. I've given up searching for it and have only found a detailed page on eligibility that seems to be written up mostly pertaining to educational use, presumably both Student Editions and educational/academic licenses, and it states no commercial restrictions. But, to be more specific and go to the PS CS4 Extended - Student Edition purchase page, the "Restrictions on use of Student Editions" states the following: "You may purchase only one license of any Adobe Student Edition product. This license may be used only on your privately owned computer. Student Edition products may not be resold by the end user."

I'd say that unless Adobe clarifies this, a student is free to use the software for both educational and commercial reasons.

With regard to an earlier question about upgrades of the Student Edition, I found that yes that can be done as per http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/openoptions/student.html. While one cannot upgrade from one Student License to another when a product version is updated (e.g., CS4 Student Edition to CS5 Student Edition), a normal commercial upgrade (e.g., CS4 Extended Student Edition to CS5 Extended Upgrade) would be permitted.

Regards,

Daryl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daryl,

I'm trying to figure this out, as well. I'm interested in purchasing the student version of CS4 Design Premium soon because I am a college student, but want to know if it can be used for commercial work once I get a design job. I've been searching Adobe's website all night and can't find any specifics on commercial use. I found restrictions listed for the student versions, but they say nothing at all about commercial use like you say; just restrictions on license purchase and use only on a private computer. Some people say you can use it, others say you can't, so I'm getting conflicting information. It's weird, because the U.K. site specifically says you cannot use student versions for commercial use. I know it differs by region, so why isn't Adobe more specific about it? I suppose if Adobe doesn't say specifically in the EULA about it, then it's okay, but I really want to make sure before I buy it.

I hope this becomes more clear in the future. Maybe I'll just get the academic version, although I really don't want to spend any extra money if I don't have to.

-Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/students/studentedition/faq.html

Does the Student Edition have restricted functionality?

* No, however, Adobe Student Edition software is for installation
solely on private computers and for noncommercial purposes only.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2010 Sep 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I followed that link and it was a bit confusing. http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/students/studentteacheredition/faq.html

Also it had "uk" in the link... does that link only apply to the United Kingdom?

Perhaps the link has changed content since it was last linked because this is what I saw posted on there:

Does the Adobe Student and Teacher Edition have restricted functionality?

Adobe Student and Teacher Editions give the end user all the features and functionality of the commercial         versions. The software may be used only on a privately owned computer, and the end user may not transfer or         resell ownership of the Adobe Student and Teacher Edition license.

And

Can a student or teacher use the Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?

Yes. Those who purchase this product can use it for personal as well as commercial use.

What are we supposed to think?

Why do they name them "educational/academic" and "student" anyway? Up until now I thought they were labeled "student" and "professional." That would make a lot more sense if you ask me. Or instead of professional, name it commercial.

I don't expect anyone here to have the answers to this, but I just thought it was funny I've read like a page of comments about the gray area involved with the usage and then here in black and white it says it can be used for both?? That doesn't seem right.

edit: I didn't see jpope's comment til now. I live in the US, so it sounds like commercial/student use is considered okay, but seems weird they would set it up that way. I'm not a student, but my husband is, so technically he could buy it, even upgrade it after he graduates, and it would be on the same home computer that I use. I think this would be against the "ownership" rules, but isn't the whole thing stupid? Living under the same roof, using the same machine and getting different prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I suppose if Adobe doesn't say specifically in the EULA about it, then it's okay

that would be my read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines