• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 all menus grayed out

Explorer ,
May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop file after working on image all the menus go grayed out. Able to save file but can not select any menus. After you save the image quit and then reopen file works fine. This has happened 5 times today.

Tried the file in CS3 Photoshop and have not had this problem

Imac G5 2 GHz Intel Core Creative Suite Master Collection.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Preferences have been deleted, but the problem still occurs.

It only occurs on this one file ((I've sent the file to Chris Cox and Jeff Transberry if you'd like to try it yourself. They couldn't replicate it even with that same file.) Other files I can open and save and everything is fine.

It always occurs right after I save this one file, regardless of whether I use CMD-S, choose from the menu, or close the file and answer "Yes" when it asks if I want to save it.

When it gets into this state neither menus nor keyboard shortcuts work. To quit Photoshop I have to right click on its Dock icon and choose Quit from there.

--Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would appreciate if any of you could get a screen recording of this problem for us, so we could see what was done prior to this problem started occurring... Please use Jing (http://www.jingproject.com/download/) for this purpose. Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, I was finally able to repro in-house with your file. The key was saving to a sufficiently slow drive to bring up a progress bar for the save command. We're working on determining the exact cause and a fix. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear, Jeff. Yeah, I'm on a laptop, so it's a fairly slow drive. And it's a large file with tons of layers, so I see the progress bar for a long time when I save it.

--Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, excellent. Thanks again for the help and feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(and, of course, I'm testing on 8 core MacPros and rarely see a progress bar...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting a progress bar dialog while saving prior to problem started happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on a solution for this - I just bought CS5 a few days ago and need to print out the file I am working on urgently but all I get are the greyed out menus. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're working on an update. You should be able to use keyboard shortcuts until you're able to restart Photoshop to correct the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This won't solve to problem but I always proof from a file to the exact size of my final print flatten and reduce the 240 ppi

I then name it with the letter p t the end proceeded by the measurements like 8511 for 8.5 x 11.

This will actually save you ink and a lot of time spooling to your printer, since flattening won't save change your colors and the resolution will not effect the quality of the print you lose nothing but a small amount of hard drive space. Also did you try doing a save as instead of a save. If it is really complicated and is a large file as you say then doing a save as on your unit, I assume a laptop is going to help were as a save is only going to add to the problem each time you do a save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2010 Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, happened today twice. I have unibody macbook pro with 8mb ram and 2.93 processor, wouldn't say that my machine is slow. Moreover i can't zoom in with the shortcut CMD + is not working, but CMD - is working fine. Had to quit and reopen the application. As I understand there is no solution for this issue. Personally, wouldn't say that its a major problem which pisses me off, but closing down and reopening everything is a bit irritating. Did you guys track the bug in the code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to 12.0.1, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martinbay,

Your posts are blank, there's absolutely no text in them.

It happens often to users who attempt to use email to participate in the forums instead of accessing the web interface directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yet another totally blank post by martinbay:

Adobe_forums_blank_posts.jpg

Click on thumbnail

Try the web interface at:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_macintosh#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010 Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing out my blank posts.  Why have they been blank? The email generated by Jive Software indicates you can go back to the blog thread or reply via email.  Doing the latter generates a blank post.  Following the thread requires that you do another login if you have left Jive (appropriately branded). If you do not login again, the "reply" link does not appear.  Single sign on is a big issue and typical requirement at Fortune 500's.  So is having to repeatedly login.

As I understand it, the menu gray out issue will be addressed in an update. But if a relatively new iMac is too SLOW to use PS CS5, that is an Adobe issue, not an Apple hardware one.  This isn't 1994, when software upgrades virtually required power users to upgrade their hardware.

-- Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martinbay wrote:

Thank you for pointing out my blank posts.  Why have they been blank?…

Because Jive software is cr@p.  Period.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wo Tai Lao Le,

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.  I called jive "immature."  It behaves like an Open Source product -- a work in progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

martinbay wrote:

Wo Tai Lao Le,

Thank you for confirming what I suspected.  I called jive "immature."  It behaves like an Open Source product -- a work in progress.

It's actually obsolete software, not a work in progress.  Adobe decided to go with a substantially older version of the software at discounted prices rather than the current one at full price.  Adobe also chose not to pay for a customer support service contract and decided to go with the free support at the Jive forums.  It has been openly documented at the Adobe "forum comments" forum and in the public discussions at the Jive forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive used here is an old version... I stand corrected.  So there's no 'go forward.' Adobe employees, any comments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try posting here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=discussions&start=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing out my  blank posts.  Why have they been blank? The email generated by Jive  Software indicates you can go back to the blog thread or reply via  email.  Doing the latter generates a blank post.  Following the thread  requires that you do another login if you have left Jive (appropriately  branded). If you do not login again, the "reply" link does not appear.   Single sign on is a big issue and typical requirement at Fortune 500's.   So is having to repeatedly login.

As I understand it, the menu gray  out issue will be addressed in an update. But if a relatively new iMac  is too SLOW to use PS CS5, that is an Adobe issue, not an Apple hardware  one.  This isn't 1994, when software upgrades virtually required power  users to upgrade their hardware.

-- Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you have duplicate posts.

And the 12.0.1 update already addressed this issue.

It isn't that the machines are slow, but that a bug in the handling of the progress bar caused the problem.

Most people never even see the progress bar, so they don't see the problem. But if you have a slow system or a slow hard disk, or a really long operation - you will see the progress bar more often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr Cox, thank you for the stating the obvious about my duplicate posts.  You addressed nothing in my post.  Duplicate explanation: I experienced a high severity bug on the copy/paste function involving my index finger.  The difference is that I'm neither selling my finger as a market leader software tool nor offering it as a trial product before effective QA is complete.  The fix is in this message.

The menu gray out bug should have been addressed pre-release of PS CS5.  While I own the CS3 Suite, I downloaded a free trial or PS CS5, so the 12.0.1 update will not help me to the extent 30 days have just passed.

I've heard about my iMac being "too slow," and experienced UI issues with immature Jive blog software.    If you Adobe employees cannot be constructive on these matters, don't comment.  I know at least 5 publications that would take this Photoshop bug story and run with it.  Do you know what, "For Immediate Release" means?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines