• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Crashes After Quitting on macOS High Sierra - Any Solutions?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CS5 (mostly for drawing cartoons & comics) and when I was using macOS Sierra, it would crash after I quit the application, other than that it was working fine. I was able to fix it by changing the folder name “CS5ServiceManager” to “CS5ServiceManager.bak”.

However, recently I’ve Just updated my Mac to macOS High Sierra and now I’m having the same problem again and I don’t know how to fix it since the folder name is still the same “CS5ServiceManager.bak”. I was thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop CS5 since I still have the disk but I’m not sure if it'll fix it. So far, Photoshop only crashes when I’m quitting the application. (Which I find odd since how can a software crash after closing it?) But as long that I’m still able to use Photoshop, that’s all that matters right? Or am I better using an alternative software for my art?

And so far it’s only Photoshop that‘s having the crashing problem, I did a quick check on Illustrator and Flash and they don’t crash after quitting the applications.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to dianed34433322 & cirtbrethren!  I joined this support community just now specifically to leave this comment because that's how much you just fixed my life.

Renaming the ScriptingSupport.plugin//Contents/MacOS/ScriptingSupport to "ScriptingSupportOLD" worked for me, currently running CS5 on 10.14 Mojave.  I kept getting the crash on quit for 10.12 Sierra and up and have been dealing with this for years and just ignoring it but FINALLY I can use my otherwise perfectly functioning software in peace on a modern OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 on iMac (27-inch Late 2013) 3.5 GHz intel Core i7 Graphics NVIDA GeForce GXT 780M 4096 MB Macintosh HD CoreStorage Logical Volume • Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I use High Sierra 10.13.6, because I have spent a LOT of money on Software and a lot of my Software dose not work when I install later Apple Operating Systems after High Sierra. 

I suppose when your a million-aire Apple Programmer you don't think or care about how nuch you spend on software.  

I Deleted the File:/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-ins/Extensions/ScriptingSupport.plugin

IT WORKED !!! Now my Photoshop CS5.1 closes without an annoying error message.

Your a Genius.   THANK YOU !     THANK YOU!     THANK YOU !  

This problem has been annoying me for many years.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me with PhotoShop CS5, but what about ID and Illustrator? I don't see that file in their Application folders, or maybe it's just in a different spot that I'm not seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applied the fix noted above for PhotoShop but I had no issues with InDesign & AI CS5. They just work.  

Mojave 10.14.6  with CS5 V 12.0.4 X64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what do we do who have PhotoShop CS5 after we now upgraded our mac?

So far for me, this means a full stopping using PhotoShop CS5 since I am unemployed since many years ago now after I became handicapped in an accident.

I am not a student so cant pay as a student but for many years photography and using PhotoShop CS5 have kept med clam and a reason to get up in the morning so I had the life quality that made me want to continue living.

If PhotoShop CS5 don't get a patch to work on macOS Sierra higher I may as well sell the mac and camera and give up as it was the only thing I had, Making stuff and learning the skill with the dream that someone one day world like my work and give someone with my handicap a bone.

So I just wait and see and if nothing happen thank you adobe and apple for making this decision a bit easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm afraid there won't be any patches made available from Adobe for CS5, the only option that I can think of is to downgrade your MAC OS

More info

How to Downgrade from macOS High Sierra to Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply but I do not have the knowledge on how to do it I looked at the link and I can give it a try if I find the solution in the app store as well or I go for the other option I been given here sell camera and make then I can top myself later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you may as well sell the Mac and camera. If you upgrade the system expect to have to upgrade the Mac apps too, that's part of the joy of Mac ownership, and a key part of budgeting. It should not come as any surprise. CS5, CS6, CC, CC2014, CC2015 and CC2017 will NOT get fixes for new Mac systems.

Or, run these apps on your old Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a quick reply.

You have made it very clear and helped to make this decision a bit easier.

I will do that and use the money for something I wanted to try and say my goodbyes in good time so I can pass over to my mother and father and be united with them.

I take a screenshot of the shat before I log out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need to upgrade. Apple is notorious for not providing backwards compatibility for a lot of applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also consider an option you did not mention: Photoshop is the leading professional photo editing software but there is a huge amount of other software, at many price points, aimed at consumers to semi-professionals. You may not have to give up your hobby, just Photoshop as a result of unwisely upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone asked about InDesign – InDesign CS6 (and below) is not supported by Adobe running under High Sierra. Those who need it and want to run under recent OS should subscribe to InDesign CC2017/CC2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did any of these suggestions solve your issue? If so, please update the forum so that we can assist you further if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as per a number of respondents above, the Photoshop CS5 ScriptingSupport.plugin is causing the crashing. If it is disabled, the crashing is solved. Unfortunately, processes that require the plugin (e.g. Image Processor) will no longer work. The plugin will need to be added back to make those processes run. But then crashing (during quitting) will come back. There are no other solutions that will work to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem today. This is what worked for me so far was: "uncheck "font preview size" box in Photoshop > Preferences > Type box".

Got this answer via: After Mac Mojave Upgrade, Photoshop CS5 Crashes when Type Is Selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these worked for me on Mojave. But:

I looked at the crash report, it referred to frameworks in Dev tools Xcode apps of iPhone simulator. I dragged the Xcode uninstaller app in its directory into Terminal with sudo, and emptied trash. Basically uninstalled Xcode apps, which were old anyway. No more Photshop crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same question and concern. I was a mainframe IBM computer programmer for many years. There are protocols a programmer needs to follow when getting control from the OS and relinquishing control back to the OS. Also, they are standard protocols for invoking system services from the OS.  As long as these protocols were followed and you didn't make programming coding errors, your program wouldn't experience a problem. In the world of desktop computers the errors blamed on software release level incompatibilities is flagrant. I it causes users to upgrade and spend moola unnecessarily. If the OS deveoloper is at fault, wouldn't very many more applications be failing for the same issues instead just a very few. That doesn't seem to be the case. Something doesn't smell quite right to me. I believe it is quite possible developers are dropping the ball through sloppy coding or it is deliberately being done. Does anyone else have any ideas about the issue?

Good luck all you big spenders out there and this one right here before you! 🙂

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines