• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Crashes on File Opens in macOS Mojave

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday, I upgraded my Macbook Air to Mojave and I've run into a major issue: any time I try to open a .psd file, Photoshop crashes instantly.

I'm able to open the program on its own and create new .psd files, but I can't successfully open any existing .psd file, which is very frustrating. I'm able to open non .psd files (i.e. PNG, JPG) in Photoshop with no issue. It seems to be specifically tied to opening .psd files.

I've gone into my Mac's settings, into Settings & Privacy --> Accessibility, and checked the box for Photoshop there, but it hasn't helped. I've also downloaded a free trial of Photoshop CC, and it works fine, but I'd rather use the program I've already paid for, rather than have to pay monthly for a new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

I have had the same problem for months until I ran into this solution. Try it. See if it works for you:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-wont-work-mojave-photoshop-3684425/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The System Prefs/Security & Privacy fix got Photoshop to at least open all the way without crashing, but I still couldn't open any PSD files. This auto-hide menu bar seemed to do the trick and now I can open PSDs. Super weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! It worked! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, BradB. Your suggestion save my life. I'm very happy that I don't have to pay the monthly fee for Photoshop. So happy I found your fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bradb, this worked like a charm for me! thank you for taking the time to share this with us! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much Brad - this was so simple and it worked!  yay!!!

Here's the link you posted in case someone can't find it:  https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-wont-work-mojave-photoshop-368442 5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "accessibility" fix always worked for me ... but I just did a recent Apple upgrade (to 10.14.5) and now it doesn't work again. I can run actions I have created but any attempt to resize or other changes results in a crash. Anyone have new ideas (other than buying the subscription)?? I do have an old computer I can use but my job is fast-paced so switching devices will be tough.

UPDATE: Fixed it myself with help from another board. This may be in here too, but in case it's not. Download the old Java and install that -- it seems to be working again! What a relief: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US​ -- I think Photoshop used to prompt you to do this, but it did not prompt me this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was it. Thanks Emilie. I've lost count of the number of times I've downloaded the "Legacy Java" in my life, probably 10-15 times already. Photoshop did used to tell you about this issue, but it seems not any more. I downloaded, installed, and restarted Photoshop, and now it runs 🙂 Big thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I am having the same problem, I gave PS access on security & privacy and also installed a new suggested java runtime. However PS still crushes since upgrading to Mojve almost all the time right after opening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrade to the current version of Photoshop to run under Mojave..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, CS5 is an old version of Photoshop which was bought as a set not a subscription. So there is no update available. I could purchase a new subscription, which I don't really want, as it worked perfectly fine on previous operating systems of Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to roll-back your OS or maybe instead get an old Mac for using Photoshop CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but Apple change each version of Mac OS. Apple do not have the aim of keeping old apps running: Apple's aim is to force change (and sell updates). Your luck has run out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no question that we will have to drop 32-bit apps like CS5, but fortunately, not now. We can still run CS5 in Mojave! The solution I mentioned earlier fixed my CS5 PS crash problem! I am thrilled that I don't have to run PS in a virtual box (that was the other solution I came up with). You can download Parallels Lite from the App Store and install an earlier version of Mac OS X in a virtual space (and run CS5 there). It works, just not as conveniently as running it natively in Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same problem.  I updated my Mac desktop to the Mojave Operating System.  Then, I opened my CS5 Photoshop.  It crashed.  It would open, then shut down.  Then I was able to open an image, and it would crash again.  I was NOT happy.  I edit my artwork and more in Photoshop.  I NEED photoshop!  After doing some online research, I became increasingly aware that CS5 is not compatible with Mojave, and that I would need to upgrade to the most recent Photoshop application.  The only way to do that is to go to Creative Cloud and download the application.  On Mac, I got the .dmg file for Photoshop and Lightroom as that is what I signed up for.  None of the .dmg files would open.  I was really upset by this point, so I called Adobe and spoke to a representative.  While on the phone with her, she said "do any other .dmg files open, or is it just Adobe .dmg files?"  Interesting question.  I opened my "Downloads" folder and scrolling through a million downloads I saw AdobeFlashPlayerinstaller.dmg, just for the heck of it.  Not only did it pop up and install, suddenly, my Photoshop and Lightroom .dmg files popped up and started loading as well!  FINALLY!  Adobe was no help at all really, but just by chance I clicked on that one .dmg file for flash and they all started working.  That said, if you are having difficulty getting the installer to run on your Mac Mojave desktop, install Adobe Flash Installer and see if that helps you like it helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened my CS5 and had the same problem, but once I changed the Accessibility setting it seems to be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask why this question is prominently marked as "Not Answered"? in soulpopped's original query?  This question has indeed been answered and solved, as detailed in bradb27251197's reply and subsequent feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not worked for me on my MacBook pro ... CS6 runs, but CS5 crash after any manipulation. I do the trick, and change to original classic interface. Nothing to do.... The problem is I need to use this version to my students, because they have a CS5 in class computer.
 Any other tips to try ? Thanks for your help. Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me was downloading the new flash player. So far, so good anyway.

Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dual boot of an old system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iMac running Mojave and PS CS5 version 12.0 x64.  Although PS does open and appears to be working it will crash as soon as I quit the program.  I know the recommended solution is to go into Accessibility and check the box Photoshop CS5.  This may work for some users while others it doesn't work. I even tried to install a newer version of Adobe Flash Player and that didn't resolve the issue.

I have completely uninstalled Adobe CS5 suite.  I installed a strip down version of CS5 suite only installing Photoshop and no extra stuff.  Unfortunately, that doesn't work either.

I think the best solution is to downgrade the macOS or install a newer CS version one that is compatible with Mojave.  The other option is to use something similar to Photoshop but is compatible with Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines