• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Crashes on File Opens in macOS Mojave

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday, I upgraded my Macbook Air to Mojave and I've run into a major issue: any time I try to open a .psd file, Photoshop crashes instantly.

I'm able to open the program on its own and create new .psd files, but I can't successfully open any existing .psd file, which is very frustrating. I'm able to open non .psd files (i.e. PNG, JPG) in Photoshop with no issue. It seems to be specifically tied to opening .psd files.

I've gone into my Mac's settings, into Settings & Privacy --> Accessibility, and checked the box for Photoshop there, but it hasn't helped. I've also downloaded a free trial of Photoshop CC, and it works fine, but I'd rather use the program I've already paid for, rather than have to pay monthly for a new one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

I have had the same problem for months until I ran into this solution. Try it. See if it works for you:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-wont-work-mojave-photoshop-3684425/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya its crazy! I did the suggestions in the above responses. Although it does work its not 100 percent. I cant use the photomerge, or I can't use the text tool without it crashing. I suppose there may be other issues as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not get the same results until I changed the security settings in both versions CS5.1 & CS5 try that if you have more than one version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading iOS to Mojave, Photoshop CS5 would not open. I restored High Sierra but soon CS5 began failing in small increments; it opened, but various functions and shortcuts began to fail. Initially I tried to reinstall CS5 using original CD, but to no avail. Same problem remanned in the reinstalled version. Decided to downgrade my iOS and discovered that you can view the iOS saved in each Time Machine backup when you enter recovery mode during restart. Then, when selecting Restore From Time Machine Backup option, iOS associated with each backup is shown on the right side. I reinstalled OS X El Capitan and Photoshop CS5 finally works as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom line, if you MUST use CS5, keep an older Mac around running Sierra or High Sierra and use it there. Trying to get old apps to run on a new, incompatible OS is a fool's errand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having this problem using Photoshop CS5 with Mojave OS. I'd open a Photoshop document, then Photoshop would crash as soon as I tried to click on the document.

I tried the Macworld solution, same. It didn't fix the issue.

Finally, I closed down Photoshop, in Mac Finder, option click on "go" in the pull down menu, select "Library", open "Preferences", remove or delete all Adobe Photoshop preferences.

When I re-launched Photoshop ... NO MORE CRASHES!!!

Of course it moved around my windows and changed some of my settings ... but at least I can use Photoshop CS5 again. I will NOT be upgrading to the next major Mac OS platform that only accepts 64bit apps until I have no other choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one worked for me. Thanks for the info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find the photoshop preference folder. PLEASE HELP! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Mac Finder, option click on "go" in the pull down menu, select "Library", open "Preferences", remove or delete all Adobe Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find no specific adobe photoshop prefs in the main Library folder. The only Adobe prefs there are-

com.adobe.acc.AdobeDesktopService

com.adobe.CSXS2Preferences

com.adobe.headlights.apip

com.adobe.PDFAdminSettings

are you sure you don't mean the user Library prefs folder? I see extensive Adobe prefs there, including for every version of Photoshop CC I've gone through, the CS5 present is Adobe Photoshop CS5 Paths nd a folder of settings prefs.

The difference may be that I did not have an existing CS5 intalled before updating to Mojave, I'm trying to get a new install of CS5 working on Mojave, which was already installed. Any suggetiopns on what to try to trash from above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See ToonsTent reply from May 26 2019 it actually works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did exactly what you said, and the Security & Provacy let me check Adobe Photoshop CS5. But it didn't work. I still get the message that says it quits unexpectedly. It happens every time. Is there anything else that can make this work? It's now January 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a constant irritant for me since upgrading.

I believe I've accidentally stumbled across the solution: Go offline.
Photoshop CS5 now works perfectly for me as long as my WiFi is off!

I'm suspecting that Adobe is causing it to crash remotly to try to get people to upgrade and pay their monthly licensing fees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I upgraded to Mojave I had to go into Accessibility to add PS CS5 and it no longer crashed. After a while it began to crash again after trying to open and work on an image and then I saw this tip above about the wifi so I tried it. I turned off wifi, opened Photoshop and it worked fine, no crashes. I do not have to turn off wifi anymore to use PS, just that once. Good find! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious if any users can verify whether this solution works or doesn't work?

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-wont-work-mojave-photoshop-3684425/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're still reading here and looking for a solution to this years later, here's what fixed mine (I had the same problem): Deleting FontExplorer X plug-in for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines