Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 382 Replies 382
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2010 Jul 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry, didn't mean to take all the fun out of it;  I had a headache from trying to resolve these issues for two days and I had some photos due to a client so I needed to get Photoshop up and running to finish them. My apologies 

The update that was available this morning for Photoshop and Bridge seems to have fixed the problem; I think. Photoshop isn't freezing up anymore.

I did start running Safari in 32-bit mode and it is also running okay [so far]

You are right, I probably don't have enough of what's needed to run these newer upgrades. Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see what my machine was capable of though. In Terminal, I inputted the code "ioreg -1 -p IODeviceTree I grep firmware-abi"  and "EFI64" is what came up; I took that to mean I could run in 64-bit.   I tried an experiment of shutting down the computer then holding the 6 and 4 key while I restarted it back up and under "Software" in System Profiler, it said that I was "not" able to run under 64 bit mode. I honestly don't know enough to understand how to interpret the Terminal reading and the System Profiler listing so it didn't help much. But, I do know I can run in 32 bit so I put Photoshop back into 32 bit mode and it now reads "ver.12 x 32" instead of "ver.12 x 64" and it isn't freezing up anymore [this could also be due to nothing more than the updates this morning; I don't know].

Also, I did get a message in Photoshop that there wasn't enough memory to run a filter on a 3.5mg jpg file which I never had that problem with CS4. I think I am going to have to go back to CS4 if I am going to be getting these memory problem messages; I don't know what else to do about it.  I have had scratch disc message in the past but not memory.

I run my scatch disk with the C drive and an external drive as a backup and that took care of the scratch disc problems I used to have.

Unfortunately, the MacBook Pro 17" [late 2007] will only upgrade to 3gb of memory. Strange, I know, but I can use one 2 gb card and then only a 1 gb card; wont take 2-2's.  This machine is really becoming antiquated and being a laptop, I am limited in what upgrades I can get for it; the hard drive and memory is all that is upgradeable [that I am aware of] but I really like it. I like it much better than the new ones  but it may get to a point of having to get a new machine if I can't run my software anymore or staying with the versions that do work.

I will try running through the fonts and see if there is a problem there [I don't use text much; just photo work] but you never know.

I do think you resolved it for me. I think the answer is,  I just can't run these programs that are memory hungry and between PS5, Safari 5 and Lighroom 3, I think I have overtaxed it's capabilities.

I wonder if I can get a refund for the  Photoshop upgrade .......

Thanks so much!

Nicole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't be fooled into thinking it's your equipment, Nicole. Photoshop CS5 has major issues with some systems. Months after its release and I still can't run the application I paid for. Adobe blames Apple.... Apple blames Adobe.... Engineers blame users.... in the end the paying customers lose out. All CS5 apps run great here.. EXCEPT Photoshop CS5. That app alone runs horribly on both OS10.5.8 and OS10.6.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and these upgrades are not cheap at all. $200 for something that can't be used. I have a Nikon 9000ED scanner that I paid over $2,000 for. Nikon for some reason chose not to update the firmware for this model. It's now worth maybe $25 to someone who is maybe still running very old versions of the scanner software. Now that really hurts; $2,000 for supposedly professional equipment that I probably couldn't even give away now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nicole anjolie wrote:

I have a Nikon 9000ED scanner that I paid over $2,000 for. Nikon for some reason chose not to update the firmware for this model. It's now worth maybe $25 to someone who is maybe still running very old versions of the scanner software.

oh, hey,

if that's a nikon coolscan 9000ed then it's supported by a very nice 3rd party scanner software called vuescan http://www.hamrick.com/ you can have it up and running for $39.95!

that's for mac, pc, and linux

I don't work for them btw! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes it is and thank you! I didn't know about VueScan and that is such good news- I am going to get it asap.

thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ve Scan takes a little getting use to and you will not have the exact type of interface you are use to but you can adjust the image very well fro the get go. Also less memory problems than the Nikon Software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update that was available this morning for Photoshop and Bridge seems to have fixed the problem; I think.

What updates? I don't see any. Can you provide a link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday morning, there were 2 updates for Adobe showing on my menu bar. I downloaded them from the Application Manager but here is where I just found them listed on the Adobe site:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

I wasn't shown the date of these updates through the Application Manager but the Adobe site said that they were from July 1st. But, the issues that are listed are exactly what showed up as needing to be downloaded yesterday from my computer. Why they showed up for me as new downloads almost a month later, I don't know.

I run PS5 so maybe these updates are for this version of Photoshop and the same with the Bridge update. If you are running the extended version, maybe that is why you didn't get an update notice?

I don't know anymore than that but it has fixed my problem with PS freezing up.

Hope this helps.

Nicole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2010 Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am current with version 12.0.1 and still have the freeze problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2010 Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will apply to anyone but I took my machine into Apple because the screen went black and the computer couldn't be rebooted. It ends up that in the year 2007-2008 they had a bad batch of the nVDIA 8800M GT graphic cards and they will replace these cards for free if they kick the bucket and extend your warranty.  I already had had my machine in twice before for repairs so instead of repairing my old machine again, they ended up giving me a brand new 2010 17" Macbook Pro.

I haven't had a chance to reinstall my software so I don't know where I am with the freezing problem; I just wanted to let people know about the free exchange on the above graphic card.

Nicole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and it is listed as Multiple Languages in the title but corrects a number of problems and the Bridge update says it is just listed as an update CS5 4.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to find the updates?

Did you already have these downloaded?

Nicole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay,  I just unwittingly uploaded brand new CS5 Design Premium w/Photoshop Extended this morning.

My machine:

MacPro Dual Quad Core (Xeon) at 2.8 GHz

12GB Memory @ 667Mhz

OS X 10.5.8

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Graphics Card

Problem:  Exactly as has been described over & over in this forum.  Launch Photoshop CS5 no problem.  Click on Type tool.  Machine freezes and takes 10-20 minutes to Force Quit.

What should I do?  I read through about 70% of the posts, and have little confidence that a helpline from Adobe is going to be a productive use of my time.  Do I need to just keep using CS4 til a fix comes?  I'm OK with that, but others I work with may not be.

Thanks for any possible assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read Chris Cox's posts; he mentions that there is in fact a problem with some fonts  in the CS5 and has addressed this in several posts.  There seems to be several problems going on; fonts and graphic cards and Apple not working with Adobe correctly.

He mentioned nVDIA cards as having problems; I don't know about the Radeon cards though.

Nicole

ps. You may need to use CS4 for awhile but I'm no expert and who knows how close they are to a fix but get ahold of him anyway and read his posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do believe that there is an update that takes care of the bug but as I understand it you can not get updates for a trial version I find it hard to believe that Adobe would offer a trial version without already including the update That would put off many potential buyer.

Anyone experiencing the freeze problem may conclude that there equipment cannot handle the new CS5 so it would be to my puzzelment that this would be the case but it maybe so. I think that a quick check of what version was dowenloaded may give you the answer.

I am running a PC so I cannot tell you if you have the update included with your dowenloaded version. Maybe someone on the Mac side can Pobox119 signing off     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trial patches with the updater just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed the 12.0.1 update and ran the font cache deely bobber instructions and I still have the same problem.  At least with the update the Force Quit doesn't take so freaking long to complete, so as a card-carrying optimist, that is definitely a bonus.  Oh well, Illustrator & InDesign are working fine, as well as FireWorx,  so all is not a dark heap of despond.  : - )

Chris, I installed from the CS5 Design Premium disks this morning, so the trial version is N/A here.  I think you've handled a lot of these issues with aplomb, and I appreciate that.  However, I work for an awesome non-profit where each dollar is donated.  And I cannot help but feel that I spent a few hundred of these dollars somewhat needlessly.  My coworkers confidence in my RFI reports will perhaps now take a serious blow.  And I am not loving that possiblity.

So, I know you're not Mother Theresa, but are there any miracles out there left for my CS5?  : - )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, most of the crashing and freezing issues that we're tracking are Apple bugs, and we have no ETA on fixes from Apple.

We are working on other bugs here at Adobe, but don't have any news at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I've just found that discussion since I'm struggling with crashes on my OSX - 10.6.4. Seems like PS CS5 Extended freezes&hangs up whole system (need to turn off cpu and launch again) while I'm having OpenGL turned on. I get used to it (workflow is really impressive) so it's a shame to turn it off... ;/ I thought it was up to the heat issue but it is more frequently and random. Sometimes it just hangs everything, sometimes just PS crashes with messed tabs, masks and everything...

I read that it's due to Apple but wondering if someone here has found similar issues which are rather NOT related to font issues, like some of the uses noticed.

My machine is MBP i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

OSX 10.6.4

Thanks for any advices!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

i know of 3 problems (assuming you've already upgraded your photoshop to 12.01 with the recent update)

1 the font thing

2 the gpu thing (the nvidia drivers on snowleopard 10.6.4 are badly broken- there's a fix in this thread i think)

3 there's an obscure wacom crash that disables mouse clicks, it initially looks like your computer has crashed but you can still use the keboard (expose, dashboard etc)

also, 4 there's a drawing bug in the multi proccessor plug-in, but that causes a crash not a freeze

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously got all updates. Seems like Gpu thing is what I'm struggling with - PS and whole system freezes so badly so I have to turn it off manually...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am assuming you have the NVidia card.

Revert to 10.6.3 or just replace the 10.6.4 Nvidia drivers with the ones from 10.6.3.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2962075#2962075

Doyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding my breath, but clearing all the font caches with FontNuke has made the problem go away, at least for a while. Been working for 30 minutes or so with no problems and never did that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Fontfworker is just for 10.6 system. We received few bugs during CS5 development cycle, but this was Apple issue.

I am glad to hear that FontNuke worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After one week with turned off OpenGL I can truly say PS didnt crashed or freezed even once (working with the same files). Unfortunately I get used to new zooming and such so really can't wait for new official drivers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines