Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 382 Replies 382
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. I'm going to work on this later today. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope they make new drivers for 10.5 too because turning off Open GL fixedmy problem there too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have the problem working with 10.6.4 but I lend my support for users that cannot upgrade to 10.6.x at this time as Open GL needs users who support the features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, either it isn't the fonts or nuking the font cache only solved it for two days. Just froze big time again. I think the most frustrating thing is that every app. freezes and you HAVE to restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any links to Apple forums that detail what they are doing on this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kdwmson wrote:

…any links to Apple forums that detail what they are doing on this problem?

Apple commenting publicly on something like this?

roflol.gif

Click on image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good one, Tai Lao!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

kdwmson wrote:

…any links to Apple forums that detail what they are doing on this problem?

Apple commenting publicly on something like this?

roflol.gif

Click on image

heh,heh!

the fix is rumoured to be doing the rounds with the beta testers right now, but my advise is when it's released, to let someone else try it for a while first!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am the guinea pig before we do an enterprise rollout in our art dept. I don't want to move to CS5 for everyone until this issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kdwmson wrote:

Well, I am the guinea pig before we do an enterprise rollout in our art dept. I don't want to move to CS5 for everyone until this issue is resolved.

Well, it a BIG shame to miss such tools as Repousse (which requires OpenGL turned on) because of bad drivers... So yeah, better wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From AppleInsider:  http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/08/13/apple_seeds_first_mac_os_x_10_6_5_build_to_developers.html

Friday, August 13, 2010

Developers report Apple has just made available the first build of what will ship as the free Mac OS X 10.6.5 update later this fall.

The new build, numbered 10H525, incorporates solutions to existing problems with Exchange Server support, fixes user interface issues with embedded WebKit views in applications such as iTunes, and includes the graphics drivers in the earlier Snow Leopard Graphics Update release.

Apple is asking developers in particular to test iCal, Mail, printing, OpenGL 3D Graphics, QuickTime and the X Window X11 subsystems.

The current release of Mac OS X was last updated in June following WWDC. The initial developer build of 10.6.5 was anticipated to ship nearly a month ago in late July, but has continued to slip as Apple continues to focus its efforts on NVIDIA graphics drivers and related issues.

I guess we’ll be waiting a while. The fact that I read about this on Friday 13th does not instill vast confidence.

— f9a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running 10.5.8.  I have 2 x 2.8 Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors, 16 GB 800 mhz DDR2 chips.  I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics card, and I have just cleared my font caches and turned off OGL. I have checked all my fonts and I do not have Font Agent.

I rebooted was up for about 30sec and FREEZE. I have this freeze several times per day.  We have several machines of the same design and all are doing the same thing.

All that I am reading is finger pointing, which is no help to your loyal users. I understand everyone getting upset about paying this much money and not being able to use it. I really don't care whose fault it is, I just would like it fixed.

Is my only option to able to work, is going back and reinstalling CS4?  Everything worked great with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sambojo wrote:

I am running 10.5.8.  I have 2 x 2.8 Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors, 16 GB 800 mhz DDR2 chips.  I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics card, and I have just cleared my font caches and turned off OGL. I have checked all my fonts and I do not have Font Agent.

I rebooted was up for about 30sec and FREEZE. I have this freeze several times per day.  We have several machines of the same design and all are doing the same thing.

All that I am reading is finger pointing, which is no help to your loyal users. I understand everyone getting upset about paying this much money and not being able to use it. I really don't care whose fault it is, I just would like it fixed.

Is my only option to able to work, is going back and reinstalling CS4?  Everything worked great with it.

anything in the system logs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if there is. I really don't know what I am looking at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the whole machine freezing, or just Photoshop?

If it's the whole machine, you're looking at an OS, driver, or hardware issue.

The NVidia issues in MacOS 10.6.4 were causing some system freezes, but the graphics driver update fixes those as far as we know.

And we don't know of any similar problems on 10.5.8.

Nobody is finger pointing - we're trying to help you identify the cause and get the problem fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the whole machine is freezing.  Sometimes if you wait about 30-45 min it will come back, but not usually. Normally I have to do a hard reset. And WindowServer shoots up to 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window Server is an OS process.

That could indicate corrupt fonts causing a problem, or a bad OS install.

My guess is corrupt fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Or corrupt caches. It does no good to remove corrupt fonts if you don't delete the font caches and reboot.

Doyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was DYP wrote:

Chris Cox wrote:

Or corrupt caches. It does no good to remove corrupt fonts if you don't delete the font caches and reboot.

Doyle

I tried that.  I checked my fonts with Font Book and Font Doctor. Font Book no serious problems found, but some with Table Usability and a couple of duplicates.  I cleared my caches with Font Nuke. I have froze 4 times today already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that.  I checked my fonts with Font Book and Font Doctor. Font Book no serious problems found, but some with Table Usability and a couple of duplicates.  I cleared my caches with Font Nuke. I have froze 4 times today already.

You may have tried some of these, but this is what I would do now.

With no applications running,

1. Delete CS5 preference files

2. Repair Permissions

3. Remove all fonts that the OS will allow from the Library/Fonts and System/Library/Fonts folders. Use your user /Library/Fonts folder for all known good fonts if you're not using a font manager. Do not place the removed fonts form Library/Fonts and System/Library/Fonts folders anywhere that the OS or applications can see them. You can always add these back one at a time, checking to see if any of these are causing the crashes.

4. Delete all caches. Download Onyx, which is free, to delete all caches. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582/onyx

5. Then reboot.

Also make sure you have no incompatible extensions, like for instance the Nvidia extensions that were installed with 10.6.4, Wacom etc.

If you still are having problem after doing this, create a new user account and run from that account. That will tell you if there is any corruption in your user account.

Doyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sambojo wrote:

I am running 10.5.8.  I have 2 x 2.8 Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors...

I was having the same issue with the same system. Disabling OpenGL did not work, but turning off font previews did. For me that makes PS unusable without them, so I put up with the constant freezing (window server 100% cpu). Clearing caches made no difference.

Then I setup 10.6 on another drive with all the latest updates, same fonts and everything, and its been absolutely perfect. Even all (well, at least most) the little interface glitches and lagginess is gone. Even Illustrator CS5 opens and saves files instantly now, while before there was ~4 second delay no matter the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evil Lair wrote:

sambojo wrote:

I was having the same issue with the same system. Disabling OpenGL did not work, but turning off font previews did. For me that makes PS unusable without them, so I put up with the constant freezing (window server 100% cpu). Clearing caches made no difference.

Then I setup 10.6 on another drive with all the latest updates, same fonts and everything, and its been absolutely perfect. Even all (well, at least most) the little interface glitches and lagginess is gone. Even Illustrator CS5 opens and saves files instantly now, while before there was ~4 second delay no matter the file size.

This may be my only option besides just reinstalling CS4.  I love CS5 for everything else, but Photoshop is killing me. I tried disabling previews, no help for me. I also tried OpenGL, it was no help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2010 Sep 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sambojo wrote:

Evil Lair wrote:

sambojo wrote:

This may be my only option besides just reinstalling CS4.  I love CS5 for everything else, but Photoshop is killing me. I tried disabling previews, no help for me. I also tried OpenGL, it was no help either.

Just wanted to give an update on my situation.  I ran out of options and being totally frustrated I backed up everything, and reinstalled everything. I upgraded to 10.6.4, reinstalled CS5 and all my previous fonts and FINALLY it is running smooth and fast.  I am wondering if there is a problem upgrading from CS3 to CS4 to CS5.  I reinstalled all my other programs and still going good, no crashes or freezes yet. I will let you know if something changes.  Good luck everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, but not anymore. The problem seems to be happening from some font that isn't getting detected in all those programs to find corrupt fonts.

I copied all my fonts into a separate folder and backed up my entire computer on an external. Then, I wiped my system clean and upgraded to 10.6.4 from 10.5.8. After that I reinstalled everything. I keep my previous fonts in that separate folder on my desktop so if I happen to need a font that isn't installed, I install it when it is needed. Then if the problem arrises again I will know what font it is.

Since starting over with a clean slate and only having the necessary and a small amount of fonts installed to do my everyday work, I have not had a problem. I would suggest anyone having problems to try this out. It has helped me tremendously by being able to get work done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2010 Sep 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of these issues are normally a permissions issues.

I fixed this by watching the console (in the utilities) folder and then finding the file and making it read&write. As soon as I had made the changes the freezing stopped.

Cheers,

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines