• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6—many problems. Slow.

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping someone at Adobe can address the numberous bugs and general slowness in Photoshop CS6.

Before installing (MacBok Pro 2010 Intel i7, 8GB Ram) I whiped my drive and installed OS Lion. So CS6 went on clean.

What I'm finding:

1. General slugishness all around.

Layered PSD files I was using just fine in CS5 are now extremely slow. An examle is a small (20mb) web design file. So it has many layers (maybe 200, not 2,000) mostly comprised of typographic elements—not many layered effects to speak of. Not many image layers, either. Layer folders are slow to move, folders can't be moved using the shift + arrow key consecutive times, making it difficult to move a range of folders xxx pixels to the left, for example.

Things that were pretty snappy before, are now slow. This is very similar to the problems I and many others saw with the initial relase of CS5—in the next version (12.0.1 I think?) Adobe fixed the issue.

2. Problems with type, example keybaord arrow keys stop working many times when toye is selected. Frustrating.

More of a general rant here, but insted of (at least in addition to) a lot of other 'features' like video in PS extended (why not use Premiere?), 3d, etc., it would be really smart for Adobe to make core elements work better: A big complaint among interactive desigers is that type renders so poorly compared to CSS html. Maybe this could be addressed, as photoshop is used for the design of most all websites.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 404 Replies 404
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was try Photoshop CS 6 but very slowly. i cant open new document

Whats problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ ssirav06,

at this moment the awnser is

1-new computer

2-latest OS & drivers

3- latest version of photoshop

-> Further more, it's now 2h30 in the morning where i am, last problems were at 20h, so at this moment all goes wel,

hope it keeps up untill 3 ( as that's the time my server shuts down )

Actually when it's running Ok, it's pleasant working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pff,

To paraphrase worlds best sold fictional hero story: " -Photoshop- works in misterious ways" ;

i can not understand how it works, and when it works perfectly, yesterday night it worked like a charm then i thought ooh well its good, BUT t today, it constantly eats up processor speed, i can not get to understand it...  Whatever i try..

phoeh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tpye Tool big problem. if i select type tool, photoshop cs 6 speed slows down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ssirav06 wrote:

Tpye Tool big problem. if i select type tool, photoshop cs 6 speed slows down.

Any chance you could quantify that a bit better, ssirav?  I've seen major slowdowns with the new Paragraph Styles feature under some unexpected circumstances, but so far I seem to be able to type text perfectly interactively into Photoshop.

Are you editing big blocks of text?  Lots of layers of it?  Any particular fonts?  What operating system?  Are you seeing a niggling little slowdown, or seconds-long waits?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slow editing big blocks of text, Lots of layers of it, Any particular fonts  &&

i will 2 mins. wait for add new layers

OS X 10.8.1

macbook pro 2.8 ghz

8gb ram

SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've lost interest in trying to pry more specific information out of you, such as file size, pixel count, actual number of layers, etc.  Good luck with your problem.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks julienlanoo - I will open up expressions media (I have EM 2) and see what I can do with that - I would love it for reading the xmp sidecarrs in terms of applying those to the image thumbnails - I didn't know it could read the adobe adjustments and preview them on teh image thumbnails - for the work I do I am quite dependendent on seeing accurate edits including thse on CMYK files (which bridge does a great job if only it wouldn't be so consumptive on my system caching and recaching and buiding preview extractions repeatedly.... which it should have already done from the last time I had bridge open to the same folder (not havigng cleared or compressed the cache or added any new images..) ... but I digress and am just being bitchy) I like others here just want things to work seamlessly as possible with out hang-ups and delays... its why we all bought top of the line systems or close to that when we did (though, obselessence comes quick these days).

My workflow has been the following: Tethered commercial shoots into C1 Pro (newest version at any given time) and from there after raw conversions, exporting as very large TIF files - lately bringing those Tiff files into ACR CS 6 version for more tuning before going into PS for final post edit work. For everything non tethered I just go from Bridge to ACR to Photoshop. I have Aperture but never warmed up to it - discarded use of DXO for color inconsistencies I was getting and that DXO TEch Support couldn't resolve (program processed too slowly anyway for my workflow) and although I do use Lightroom 4 on occassion it is not part of my work flow - and I lost trust in it with the "lost books" debachal in the books module -[ that was a nasty user forum - another nest of angry Adobe customers who felt the sting of a serious release flaw]. Now I just stay with InDesign for my book publications which means I rarely touch Lightroom but for quick turn around on familly and friend pictures... but nothing professional - just not inot the work flow in Lightroom as I have it down, tried and true, for dual monitors with Bridge and Photoshop and ACR - BUT THE RESOURCE SUCKING issue is big. During this forum I switched back to CS5 just so I could work without frustration (though I had to give up the great new RAW conversion to go backwards.... ) I have loaded the 13.0.1 update but just haven't opened any of it since (trust issue) as I decided I needed to get work done and not be frustrated by softeware that is suppose to make my life eassier and more free in creative possibilities. I appreciate all you have posted in this forum - and Noel and the rest of the gang - thanks everyone.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good. I still believe in the product and would like to see it realized especially after all this time and effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mhm, i think the next wacom-pen i distroy by throwing it against the wall from frustration and tieredness at 4 oclock in the morning, i'll search for other stuff,  there must be something that suites me out there ,

I see it like having  assistants, 3 chances if used up, they know where to find the door...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, while I can appreciate venting making you feel better, do you have any specific observations that can be dealt with?

Just generally saying Photoshop on your system doesn't work well is a bit like saying "I don't like riding in my car".  Not enough info.

From my perspective, though 13.0.1 hasn't fixed all the bugs, it has fixed some of the egregious ones and I honestly now feel it to be the best version of Photoshop ever released.  But I have a different system than you do, I do different things than you do, and I may even have different expectations than you do (though I doubt I expect less of it).

Since 13.0.1 is just out, maybe it would be appropriate to go over the specific things you're finding wrong with it again?  Even start a new thread.  You can be sure the engineers are going to be ignoring everything in this thread up to the point where 13.0.1 was released.

If your computer system has grown outdated, and it simply struggles to run Photoshop well, maybe it's time to start thinking about getting a new one?  Every year or two computers double in power.  How old is yours?  Was it the top-of-the-line model when it was new?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, i think i explained already extreamly widely on this forum what i found in my experience with photoshop..

- you see again an ' it's your system that's at fault' explenation..

My computer is now 5 months old ( bought when PSCS6 came out the same day i bought CS6), specially to work with PS CS6, not over do it normaly enoug,  it's a mac mini, with a kingston 555mb/sec SSD, and yes it was the top of the line, plus there's 16GB in it now.. ( it's faster than the low end mac pro ) -> Its more than enough, according to the photoshop requierments... every thing is up to date on it..

I also already asked in THIS forum, what's the system Adobe works on - says it works perfectly on ?  ? i'll buy exactly the same one.

CS 5.5 works fine on it.. C1PRO perfect, etc etc..

Any how, even tested it on our Video Machine,  a Top of the line 12 core Mac Pro and 64 GB of ram ( wich frankly is overkill for photoshop) and also only 7 à 8 months old, he has exactly the same complaints and experience with cs6 as my machine...

I also said, that since the 13.0.1 update, it worked Better than de 0.0.

As with the 0.0 version it was sluggish all the time, and since 0.1 ( on exactly the same machine) it's sluggish only after a bit of time ( a few hours, so workable)...  it's not faster it's normal..
And when the the logs and caches of bridge are deleted, (or after reboot) it works fine again.. As now the graphics processor is on (Basic) don't dare more yet..

So untill now my conclusion is ( since the update ) that there was a performance problem but they've pached it untill a better solution is found..

Complaints are now: After a few hours of useage ( before it was all the time) sluggishness, mostley when using Brush, Healing bursh. Or Bridge ( mini Bridge) ..  And some times freezing also when using the same tools...

The overal feel now is OK, if it could be lik this all the time ( and not have a hissy fit every 6h), it would be great...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been making an effort today to keep Photoshop running all day, without closing and restarting it (which is far more likely on a Windows system than a Mac, as actually closing an application is a normal occurrence).  I'll try to keep this up to see whether I'm getting any difficulties after 6 or more hours.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well 13.0.1 runs ok,

All i do is masks, stamp, healing, and cropping..  ( yeah, color and curves ofcourse..)

Use Bridge also all the time, you'll see... with larger number of images, around a 100 or so..
Mine are pritty high ress ( 60mpix),  my estimate is that the CS6 Bridge cach fills up 10times faster than the CS5.5 Bridge, with bigger files.. 

I think it's a multiple of problems, where they solved a few of..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also mini birdge waiting for Bridge is a constant, ( well it works now and then)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rixie1:  Can you tell me which GPU you have in your iMac?  I'd also suggest turning Use Graphics Processor back on but set it to Basic instead of Normal or Advanced.  Does that help in your case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam, PS says 'Detected Graphic Processor: GPU is ATi Radeon HD 4670 Open GL Engine'.

I had already tried the Basic option, to no avail, before switching it off completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Zebra, why not just do all your adjusts of your raw in c1pro?.. Its much more powerfull than you think... And use PS for composition work & cleaning up, and some finishing up the Overall colours...( or precise mask work ...)

Also not shure if cmyk profiles are accurate in media pro,..

I just use it as a catalogue of the finished images,.. To find the quickly...

@ Paul, keep kalm, inhale , exhale...

Like Noel said, no use just telling it doesn t work,

Its much more helpfull telling us what doesn t work..

I am not Adobestaff, but member of this community, and we are all looking to find whats wrong and how to help it...

@ rixie, mine doesn t say what the graphics prosessor is ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ rixie, and every one,

No stress, its normal

We are lucky to have a 12 core fully loaded,

And today tested it with a brand new 999 euro Nvidia Geforce 690,

It isn t much faster than on the wonderfull mac mini:p;

So having a 10K euro machine isn t much help 😛

- might i add, some thing i realy miss in PS(ahum) is databases, emailclient and instant messaging- could that be added ?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'@ rixie, mine doesn t say what the graphics prosessor is ...'

julienlanoo, I got this in the PS preferences - when I go to switch off or change to 'basic', etc. PS tells me what is detected. I am by no means a techy so I wouldn't have had a clue if it wasn't spelled out for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run into a lot of stress because of Adobe. Their HORRIBLE customer service through cs5.5 not working, then DAYS wasted with that trying to get a refund, ONLY to have PS6 not run right when I finally get it. (weeks later) which lead to wasting more DAYS. I have so many wasted hours because of photoshop and Adobe, it's sickening.

I have the same problems as many on here, so I'm not going to list duplicates when others say the exact same things. Photoshop is SLOW and hang up the entire system after working in files. Doesn't matter the size, or layers, after so many minutes, I have to reboot the whole machine to fix it. I stated that several times in several places.

Photoshop has/had a memory leak that should've been caught before it was released. 90% of the people using it do not have  mega memory machines that are dedicating just for graphics. Photoshop shouldn't need 16GB of memory to run to accoplish simple things. Part of that is why video and 3D makes NO SENSE. I do not want photoshop to do video or 3d because I have other programs for those. PS6 is buggy and a memory hog without worrying about those additions. There needs to be a completey separate product for video and 3D instead of the slap happy crappy implementation in PS. I tried it several times and it SUCKS. Besides my machine locking up, it is non-intuitive and I just go back to the dedicated programs that work. So I will always ask, why these thing in PS?

Those letters spell "PHOTO"Shop. not "3D" shop, not "Video" shop. Photoshop.

Another rant over. I have had way to many of those directed at Adobe. I cannot wait until someone comes out with a sustitute, because i would switch very fast if it did what i needed it to. I'm sick of giving my money to Adobe and them using it to hire people from India to try and upsell me instead of actually using it for good.

I updated PS and after twenty minutes no issues like before. Hopefully 13.0.1 fixes them. I will report back after  a week of working with photoshop on and off. I refuse to spend any more time on PS to get it to work. If this doesn't help, i'm just going back to CS4 and wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Paul - I feel your anger and frustration - I feel exactly the same way.I know others do too.

It is cool this forum exists so we can all try to fix our problems and I think ranting is valid too as I do think Adobe needs to become aware of public relations - in the end, business is about community and relationship... and trust is necessary for long term relationship.

I have said your exact words of switching to another program even though I already have many other FINE programs with which to work in. I unfortunately LOVE the gradient tool in ACR which no other raw developer has (yet) even C1 Pro (to answer Julienlanoo [withwhom I agree C1 is a great program with a better color engine than ACR]) - but I love and am relient on that gradient tool and even developed a style around its capabilities.....and I also have 10's of thousands of processed raw files that have been adjusted/edited using proprietary ACR adjustments - I do not feel like re-processing them all over again using other software....Paul - as for photoshop itself and working with layered files in post...I agree about alternatives. A friend of mine sent me this information for Pixelmator: http://www.pixelmator.com I do beleive that alternatives to Adobe will emerge and Adobe should be aware of their market share and the potential to loose it - such loses to giants of an industry are historical - usually happens when they stop being concerned for their smallest customer. I am one who has bought into the Adobe Suite of programs and actually bought into the year of Creative Cloud... I use Premier for video, InDesign for layout and print work, I would use fireworks for web design (if I was doing more of it - as is, it is faster for me in PS because I am used to PS, but my web designer friends swear by fireworks for web design), Dreamweaver for website updating....I would like PS to work as it should and I, as most here, would not be complaining.

I for one care not to be bashing Adobe because they are the "government" and I am for the people 9so to speak)... but they are blowing it and I, as a customer, am just tired of them as are others on this forum who relie on the product to work. I have a friend who has no problems with Photoshop CS6. He doesn't feel he pushes it as much as I do - I think he does - but he doesn't spend all day in it with Bridge open simultaneously as I do working through hundreds of files. We users, just want the problem fixed because our workflows are dependant on it. Neil was right when he wrote that no one comes into these forums to talk about how great the program is running ( I think it was Neil who said that - unless it was Alex) - probably because the only reason we come to these forums is to find a solution to why it is not working as advertised. Otherwise we would all be busy doing our work and the world would hum along as normal. Being frustrated with tech issues is not normal - or at least not expected.

Any way - I downloaded Pixelmator as a trial but have not loaded it. Partly because i am set in my habitual workflow and do not want to spend the time relearning another system of flow.... I'd rather be out shooting pictures or honestly - painting... Learning a new system or trouble shooting - it is the same to me - they both take me away from getting my work done - slowing down prolificancy (if that is a word). Memory leaks need to be fixed and codes need to be streamlined to remove bloat. I am impressed with all that the engineers do in designng these programs - it is truly amazing - but that is not why any of us are here. That conversations usually takes place over coffe somewhere relating how awesome the new software is... I am waiting to have that cup of coffee.

If anyone here trys Pixelmator before me - let me know what you thiink. Until then - I am rooting for Adobe, but not happy with them. I have already given up on Tech support... reading the forum instead. I have already stated my system and workflow and problems that result so now it is just watching and learning.

PS

I was briefly in CS6 Bridge and PS today for 15 minutes with out a hitch (13.0.1) - but shut it down immediately not wanting to push my luck - like Paul, I don't want to spend time fussing with it until I hear it is miraculous. These next couple days require I be in InDesign to finish a couple books. I did do all my CMYK conversions and sharpening for print in CS5 - without problem. Would have done it in CS6... but, you know all know... just want to get my work done - that is all these toools are here for, and I use the ones that work.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think all anyone contributing here want is for Adobe to make a reliable Photoshop like they use to before CS4.  Since CS3 Adobe Photoshop's quality has gone down hill. Adobe only seems to fix bugs that effect most of their customers the rest and growing number of bug seem to get deferred to some future release of Photoshop.  We are getting emotional and tired of waiting for that release and we are trying to let Adobe employees and Adobe Photoshop user that read these forums know this. We like Adobe know there isn't a viable alternative to Photoshop but there is no reason Adobe should stick it to their loyal customers like the do.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well , honestly i never had any problems with 5.1 , never, or 5.5 , that's working perfect...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users use features in Photoshop all the time that many never use and other hardly use. So Photoshop users have different experiences using Photoshop the others.  Other don't even realize they have been bitten by a bug.  The incorrect operation of Photoshop go un-notices by them.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines