• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 version 13.0.6 x64 on a IMAC running 10.14.6

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if the "64" in the version of CS6 means 64bit? If so, will it work with Catalina OS?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does mean 64 bit. Photoshop has actually been 64 bit for the Mac since CS5.

However CS6 cannot be installed on Catalina due to shared components such as the installer which was still 32 bit.

After a decade of notifications from Apple, Catalina was the first version of macOS to support 64 bit software only. All 32 bit support was removed.

Mojave was the last macOS version on which CS6 could be installed.

One exception would be if you already had CS6 installed on Mojave and then upgraded to Catalina. CS6 would still run since you would not need to run the 32 bit installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do already have CS6 installed on Mojave. So it will work for me? What about Lightroom? Thank you so much for the information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Lightroom? Version 6 and later were 64 bit only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Version 6. I have had Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 6 on my Mac for about 10-12 years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any reason for upgrading to Catalina at this point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need safari to be updated - What should I do about the notice that came up during install?

notice-install-Catalina.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What @Test Screen Name said. Don't upgrade to Catalina.

Seems that CS6 definitely won't run on Catalina, even if it was previously installed on an earlier macOS

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided not to upgrade after I saw the last post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can use a different browser (such as Chrome) if you have concerns about Safari. Apple use Safari as a lever to get people to upgrade macOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were two big changes in Catalina. 

1. Removed all support for 32-bit apps. Everyone knows this one. (The installer for CS6 is 32-bit so you couldn't run it).

2. Required "notarization". Almost nobody knows this one, but it's a killer too. This is a special thing that Apple need all developers to do, and it only started in 2019. Old apps therefore didn't do it. Only notarized apps can be installed. Now, CS6 might be "inherited" into Catalina without checking notarization, but Apple (not Adobe) are tricksy - they sometimes check the notarization of installed apps too. Bang! 

So, just don't upgrade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

CS5 and CS6 are on life support. But they can still be activated providing you have the following:
1. your original media (disks or downloads) you received at purchase and a way to read them,
2. a legitimate serial number for that version, language and platform (Win/Mac) and if it was an upgrade, a qualifying serial number from an older product,
3. an older operating system that can support legacy 32-bit installers.

NOTE 1 : Creative Suite installers won't work on macOS Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave without terminal workarounds. See the help article below.
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/install-creative-suite-mac-os-sierra.html

NOTE 2: Legacy Creative Suite will never run on Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura... Nor will it be tested on Win 11. Only the latest Creative Cloud products are compatible with newer systems.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really need the extra security of the more recent Safari, perhaps a dual boot of macOS Mojave 10.14 and macOS Monterey 12 or macOS Ventura 13 would suffice.

Since macOS Catalina 10.15 is no longer supported by Apple, it doesn't recieve security updates.

Apple usually only provides updates to the current and prior two operating systems, those of this

posting being Big Sur 11, Monterey 12 and Ventura 13.

Big Sur

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211238

Monterey

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211238

Ventura

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213264

Use more than one version of macOS on a Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of my previous business commercial photography on "My Passport" That's important. The Machintosh HD is my Boot Drive. The My Passport Pro is the "Time Machine" backup drive. I can delete a lot from my Seagate Drive. Which drive should I use to partition?

See attached

current drives.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave wrong information above. The My Passport is the Time Machine drive and the MyPassport Pro is the drive with all my photography on it from my previous life/business. Since I am retired, I could probably delete a lot of the photography which doesn't serve me anymore. "Out of Sight, out of mind"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "My Passport Pro" does not show on the above screen grab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would want to partition the internal boot drive Machintosh HD, but you don't have nearly enough free space to make that practical.

What year and model is your Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something that Safari on macOS Mojave won't do that you need a more updated internet browser for?

Maybe another browser like Firefox, which is still being updated for Mojave 10.14 will do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My IMAC is late 2012 running Mojave. Is there a way I can update Safari without updating the OS? The Machintosh HD has all the operating software on it. I suspect I can do without an updated version of Safari. Sometimes I get error notices that Safari needs to be updated for one thing or another. I can't think of anything specific.

my imac specs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, your 2012 iMac is too old to officially upgrade past macOS Catalina 10.15.

I would try a more updated browser like Firefox and see if you still have issues.

I don't think it's worth all the trouble of upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15 and/or dual booting Mojave and Catalina only to find out Catalina has the same Safari issue, since Catalina is very much an outdated OS in Apples view and Safari may or may not have been updated enough to avoid the messages about Safari needing to be updated. Plus you would lose access to CS6 and Lightroom when using Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is good advice, thank you for your input. I will not be attempting an upgrade afterall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you're ready to get a new computer, be sure to budget for new software too. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At my age I will not be replacing my IMAC. I'm good to go with this one since It is serving me well. I have been barking up the wrong tree to think I needed to upgrade. I appreciate all the good advice from everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines