• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop cut & paste leaves a seam

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I cut and paste to a new layer in Photoshop, I figured - since I'm pasting in place - that the paste would theoretically be seamless.  Yet I have a faint seam (see image).  Is there a way to avoid this?

Capture.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an on-screen artifact. When you merge it should be seamless again (try it).

However, you should be careful to not do any transforms or resizing in this state, because then it will be permanent. Copy/paste is safer than cut/paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»t's an on-screen artifact.»

I disagree.

A pixel at 100% opacity is not the same as the same pixel twice at 50% Opacity, so if anti-aliasing or a Feather are involved in the Selection there is actual damage. 

But your advice to copy/paste is spot on. 

And additionally I would recommend using a Smart Object for any transformations. 

Edit: The screenshot shows what happens with a feathered Selection and Layer > New > Layer Via Cut for example. 

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 11.55.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. I didn't check before replying, which I should have. It must be something connected to transparency blend gamma.

I assumed this was the same as the familiar faint lines you get with e.g. Auto-Blend, but it's not. There you have no choice but to trust that the lines disappear when merging - and they do (and they aren't there at 100%).

Everywhere else, I always err on the cautious side and assume it's real, so I copy, never cut, then paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DamienKeffyn_0-1681713207502.png

Hi, further to this guide, is there something I am doing wrong when trying to copy and paste a tile which is seamless to a separate file? I select all (cntrl A) and then paste into the new window.
I have flattened layers, and it still shows this. I print fabric so these lines can not be present when printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why copy/paste at all and not just create the Pattern in the original image (Edit > Define Pattern)? 

Can you provide the file for testing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines