• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop data merge with relative path

Participant ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Mac version of Photoshop CC 22.2. I'm trying to set up a data set for the data merge function, using relative paths. I'm following the steps from this document:

http://www.richmediacs.com/user_manuals/RMCS_PS_Training/Using%20PS%20Variables/UsingVariablesInPS_E...

It says that "Path names to images can be absolute or relative to the folder where the images are located (i.e., images)." 

I have tried using the format given in their example to create relative path names, but I cannot make it work. Photoshop complains with an error, "Could not apply data set because the replacement file was not found." Of course the path names from the example I linked to are for Windows, and I am using a Mac. I have tried:

• Links/TEST1.jpg
  • /Links/TEST1.jpg
  • ./Links/TEST1.jpg

None of these work, even though the "Links" folder is present in the same folder where the Photoshop document exists, and the filenames in the data source document are correctly spelled and the correct case. None of them work.

If I select the image manually by clicking the Select File button in the Data Sets dialog, it puts in the full path relative to root, and it works. But of course that is tedious to do and is not portable from one machine to another (i.e., the data merge set up on one Mac wouldn't be guaranteed to run on a coworkers's Mac since the full path may be different). 

If anyone has done this successfully on a Mac, can you tell me how you set up your relative paths?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't comment on the relative path at the moment, I have always used full paths on the Mac. I'm guessing that the colon : only works in full paths?

Regarding absolute path, with a simple regular expression based find/replace, or with a spreadsheet concatenate command, or a website such as TextMechanic it should be easy enough to batch insert the root path to the relative path. Yes, this is not portable, however it is better than doing things manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using colon does not work, at least not "Links:TEST1.jpg" nor ":Links:TEST1.jpg". But that's a very old notation (back to OS 9, I think?), so I am not surprised.

The other option is a workable one, but it's still another step that I hope to avoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also confirmed that it does NOT work even if I move the images from the subfolder into the parent folder. So, for example, the path in the data file is simply the file name "TEST1.jpg", and that image is in the same folder as the PSD – Photoshop still gives the error that it cannot find the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue too. I read here  that "You can use a relative path for the image location if the text file is in the same folder as the image file." But I am still getting the missing replacement file error not matter what I try (txt, csv, ect). I hope that Adobe can fix this as it's proving to be a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines