• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop does not convert CMYK smart object colors color of master document.

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not convert CMYK smart object colors (with assigned ICC profile) to master object color with another ICC CMYK profile keeping appearance of colors. Instead it keeps values but destroys appearance. Conversion between different modes (RGB to CMYK, CMYK to RGB...) works fine - it keeps appearance, changing the color values. But CMYK to CMYK isn't working correctly. PS assigns profile, instead of converting. In the file attached you can see the same values when smart and master have different profiles assigned.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Taras_S. We need to know more please

Perhaps you mean that, in an image made up of smart objects and other layers, when you use Edit>Convert to profile - only the non smart objects are converted correctly and the smart objects get the new profile assigned but are not converted so now they look wrong? 

It's not entirely relevant to your question, but please be aware that its better to archive the layered document then flatten a copy before converting - say from RGB to CMYK. Converting CMYK to CMYK or CMYK to RGB is something we generally try to avoid. CMYK to CMYK really requires a color server to work right otherwise black only areas may end up as 4 color.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
Help others by clicking "Correct Answer" if the question is answered.
Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not certainly in that way. I have a CMYK document. I add a new layer to it (for example, by dragging another CMYK file with "Alt" that creates linked smart-layer. Also it has the color profile different than that of the master document). What is the expected behavior of Photoshop under these conditions? I think it should convert the colors of the nested smart-object to the master object's color space in order to preserve the color. This always happens if the color mode of the smart-layer and the master file are different (eg LAB-RGB, RGB-CMYK, CMYK-LAB etc).

But in case of CMYK-CMYK there is no color conversion. Photoshop does not convert color to preserve appearance. Instead it just keeps values of the smart-layer distorting its color.

I illustrated this effect in the attached file. There is shown this unwanted PS behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RGB and Lab are only 3 channel colour models. Combinations of the 3 channels can only make 1 discreet colour.

The 4th channel in CMYK makes all the difference, now the same colour can be made by multiple colour combinations.

Does one honour the channel values or the ICC profile "label" of what the values equate to?

The choice isn't so simple or universal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm. This needs to be moved to "Bugs".

To demonstrate that this is not a gamut limitation (which was my first thought) - here's the same procedure run both ways:

test_SO_01.png

test_SO_02.png

(The original was first converted to a smart object, then converted to a different CMYK profile).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I move it to the bugs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A moderator needs to do that (I'm not). I was hoping someone would pick it up.

If nothing happens, repost in Bugs and link to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines