• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop has upgraded to 2023; should I delete the 2022 package?

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop has recently upgraded to the 2023 version, but the entire 2022 package is still there in my Applications folder. Should I delete this folder and its contents? Normally when applications upgrade I am asked if I want to over write the existing app, but this didn't happen, so I now have 2 versions of Photoshop.

I'm on a Macbook Air running Ventura 13.0.1.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The install policies changed to leave the previous version in place. You can chnage the behavior in the CC app settings. That's also from where you should correctly uninstall any such older versions instead of just trashing them. Regardless, reinstalling 2023 once more may be necessary after that.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Mylenium  
It's strange because I just checked my CC settings, and both PS and Bridge are set to 'remove older versions', but this hasn't happened. I guess I should just leave the 2022 version however, as @gener7 says, something could go wrong with the new version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always roll back a number of versions using Adobe Creative Cloud.

If you wish to roll back to an older version, use the Creative Cloud application, click on the three dots (...) and select “Other Versions”.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always good to have backup. Something goes bad with 2023, you'll want that previous version in place. And since you have MacOS, you have Time Machine.  Set it up if you already haven't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can uninstall the old version / package

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't need the older version, and when deleting it, please DO use the uninstaller in the CC app, as @Mylenium says. 
THAT being said - I always keep the older version installed (they don't interfere with each other, they just take up space), until I've put the new version through its paces. Having the older version gives you a "backup" to use, should something be not as expected, or just not working, in the new version. 

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines