• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop horrible performance since last CC Update (April 2019)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last CC Update, my Photoshop performance is extremely slow and barely useable.

The problem seems to be that photoshop doesn't want to use any resources.

CPU usage never goes above 10%, Photoshop uses 1GB Ram at maximum, GPU isn't used at all.

I've checked the corresponding settings in photoshop itself which are still allowing the program to use up to 24GB of Ram and GPU accelleration.

Does anyone have a solution besides downgrading to the version before?

Best regards

Lennard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lennard,

Sorry about the performance issues with Photoshop CC as it is not using the available system resources to deliver equivalent performance.

Could you please uncheck the option "use graphics processor" under the Preferences> Performance menu in Photoshop and see if the application performance still doesn't improve.

Also, take a look at this article Optimize performance Photoshop CC  and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not using the GPA decreases the performance even more. I've already resetted the preferences, but that didn't help either.

I'm running Photoshop on Windows 10, my drivers are all up to date.

According to the efficiency monitor, Photoshop is at 100% efficiency. I've tried all tips from the performance optimization guide.

Reinstalling Photoshop didn't help as well.

I'm working specifically with multiple layer Tif files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not having any issues with Photoshop CC2019 running on Windows 10, have you tried resetting Photoshop preferences

What operating system are you using

Reset Pref.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most likely a buggy video driver (yes, even with GPU off the driver is still operational for basic stuff). Other likely candidates are third-party plugins or extensions, font managers and so on.

It has to be something specific to your system. The rest of us don't have these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I'm having the same problem. PS is very sluggish. I have updated my GPU driver, and updated PS to 20.0.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem. Brushes are close to unusable.

I'm on a Mac.

Strange enough, the clone tool doesn't show any of these problems.

I even had Photoshop turn off the graphics card once.

As I have no problem running Final Cut Pro X it can't be the graphics processor.

Code that is related to how Photoshop uses the graphics processor seems to be faulty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using any third party software in Photoshop, so I can rule that one out.

I'll try rolling back my GPU driver to an earlier version, but the rest of the CC that I'm using (Lightroom, Premiere, AE) seem to work fine. So Photoshop seems to be the only one making problems and they only occur since the last update. I didn't have the time yet to roll back Photoshop as a whole and install an earlier version, but I'll do that as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you had this problem in 20.0.3? It seems 20.0.4 is causing problems with some users.

I would suggest you roll back to 20.0.3

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.15.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.18.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back may be a good option.

I'm getting increasingly wary of updates. So often they are worse than the previous version (e.g. the unusable Bridge 9  - horrible interface that cannot be customized and blurry previews).

And not push updates that break things. Especially on a Mac, where there aren't that many or that different versions of computers.

And make sure older computers are compatible. Adobe has listed 5 and 6 year old Macs as incompatible with Photoshop - can you believe that?

They listed a great number of graphics card used in retina MacBook Pros as no longer supported.

Adobe is very rich and should have enough coding staff to properly test and also make sure that older computers are being cared for. Because it no longer makes sense to buy a computer every few years. People are keeping their computers longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sake of comparison I tried PS at home & at work. My home PC specs are

Intel i7 3770

16GB RAM

SSD with 67GB for scratch disc

GTX 1070 GPU drivers current as of April 11

WIN 10 current build

Work is

Intel i5 6500

8GB RAM

Standard HD 5200 RPM

Built in graphics

WIN 7

Both running PS 20.0.4

At home, a simple selection - cut out - resize is choppy, sluggish and slow. At work, same file and same workflow is snappy and fast? So, maybe a combination of Adobe & MS not playing well together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the same issues of extremely slow performance making Photoshop barely usable & it's so frustrating.  Nothing else has changed in my system other than the latest Windows & CC updates.  I've reset preferences, made sure scratch discs were still set, still, it's painfully slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah me too, in June 2020. NOTHING IMPROVED SINCE CS6 only went down hill from there.
All they added are just some useless things nobody uses and slows down your computer.
Just making it more accessible for non designers whit their useless 'rich tooltips' and animated zoom and crap, geez.
Adobe, what the hell are you doing? By trying to please everybody you'll start to seriously displease the pros.

Every update I hold my heart because I know it's going to be slower, weird stuff's going to happen and settings will be lost. I wonder why... for €650 a year, it more and more seems like a very bad cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, pretty same. Still in 2020. Slow performance, now its 21.2 and still very slow. 

Im have 100% ussage of one core and about 30% for others core on my i7-8700k but just draging of image by the screen (one layer, 20mp) - very laggy. Im have no problems in other aps so its PS issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is amaizing that you succeeded with update at all Adobe does not provide adiquat bandwith so your updates can take dayes many dayes. If our politicians ware not owned by corporations we would have some reasnable level of consumer protection and Adobe and other corporations could not get away with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is a couple of years old. Do you actually have a question or did you just want to rant?

BTW, I've had no trouble with installing my updates--certainly doesn't take "many days".

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought blaming Adobe for poor internet bandwidth was pretty good... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at all of the four comments this fellow has posted to these forums, it is clear he/she has an agenda and is trolling.

A moderator can take care if this if anyone desires but best to simply ignore.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just checked out of curiosity moments ago, and I was able to download Photoshop (1.7 GB) from Adobe in 103 seconds...

Hopefully that's fast enough for most people? We do have a gigabit connection to our house so that helps, but there seemed no limitation on the speed by Adobe's servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines