Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Images Printing Red on Noritsu Printer

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic Info:

At our shop we use Mac computers for photo restoration, photo editing and design work. Larger prints, we use an Epson Stylus Pro 9900 - Printed directly from the Mac- these prints match my screen accurately.

When I save/export the images into JPEG form to our back printer (Noritsu Printer), they print with a red/magenta wash.

If the images are uploaded directly into the computer without any photoshop rendering, it's usually fine.

Is this a printer profile error? A saving error?

Our current solution is to add a green overlay to the images to hopefully balance out in the lab.

Does anyone have any suggestions on resolving this? We also print from Adobe or Photoshop onto a Xerox printer, which doesn't have the red overtone issue, either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2016 Nov 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you post in the Photoshop forum as you aren't using Acrobat.

When you do, I suggest you include the following information. Version of operating system. Version of Photoshop. What you mean by "save/export the images into JPEG form to our back printer", I can't save images to my printer and don't know what you mean. What colour management settings you are using.

You say you can "print from Adobe or Photoshop" but Adobe is the company. What is the first product? (Don't answer here, but clarify when you post in the Photoshop forum). Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion moved to Photoshop forum …

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the difference between the unedited image and the edited image? What workflow steps are messing with the colour?

Are the final images submitted to the Noritsu in sRGB colour profile values (with or without embedded ICC profile)? Are they in a custom colour conversion for the ICC profiled device? Are they in Adobe RGB or Pro Photo RGB profile values? Are the images in CMYK mode? Lab mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We scan these images in using Epson Scan. They scan in a format of Epson Standard RGB. When they are opened into Photoshop they turn into Adobe RGB. Anything that is scanned, when I save it, it gives the option to embedded profile (Epson sRgb). Should I have this unchecked? Other images that I send out that aren't scanned seem to come out normal. Should I reassign color profiles? With any normal editing, it suggests I embedd sRGB IECd966-2.1 etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean that you convert the scanned sRGB numbers into Adobe RGB numbers when opening into Photoshop?

After editing, the output file should be converted to sRGB if your Noritsu is not honouring embedded/tagged ICC profiles. This could mean that you keep a “master file” for editing in Adobe RGB and output a secondary “print file” that is converted to sRGB… Or this could be too hard to manage and you decide to not convert to Adobe RGB and simply to work in sRGB and then you could potentially send the “master” file to output as is.

The Noritsu is expecting some sort of “known” input. It either reads and processes an embedded/tagged ICC profile, which would mean that sending the same file converted to sRGB and the same file converted to Adobe RGB would lead to similar output… Or the Noritsu ignores any incoming ICC profiles and is “hard wired” to presume/assume that all input is in a certain colour profile space, which is often sRGB. The Noritsu does not actually output sRGB values, it would have an internal conversion from sRGB to the final output values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then if I open Photoshop>color settings

It should read:

Working spaces:

Rgb:sRgb (instead of Adobe rgb or Epson rgb)

Cymk: U.s web coated swop

And color management properties:

Convert to working rgb (instead of preserve imbedded files)

Convert to working cmyk

Convert to working gray

Does this sound consistent? That way anything that comes into Photoshop is converted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Before making any workflow changes, I would test to see if converting to sRGB helps, or not!

Try the current image, I’m presuming in Adobe RGB, this should be “too red”.

Then convert a copy to sRGB and see if this “looks correct”.

My expectation of submitting a wider gamut image to a device expecting lower gamut is desaturation, not colour shift.

Prepression: RGB ICC Profile Roulette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have two workflows with the scanner:

1) scan from Epson, edit, save, print noritsu or print Epson. Printing Epson does fine.(saves as Epson sRGB)

2) scan from Epson, send to editor, they save it as "documentancestors" according to the file info. Not sure what that means. But these come out fine as well, I believe

So I'm assuming it's just me not properly converting the color profile of the scanner to save.

Which should I be saving it as?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines