Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop is ignoring every single keyboard shortcut

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually going crazy now.

Photoshop suddenly stopped reacting to any keyboard shortcuts. I've tried like 30 different ones and nothing happens. Modifier+mouse interactions seem to still work, e.g. I can alt+scroll to zoom and ctrl+drag to copy.

I can't reassign shortcuts either, no key presses are recognized when I'm in the assignment window. But Photoshop is definitely capable of reading my keyboard, since I can still perfectly type in text menus, i.e. when renaming a new layer.

• I have a bunch of other adobe programs installed and they're all working fine.

• I have rebooted multiple times both into safe mode and with all startup programs disabled.

• I have restored Photoshop preferences by launching with Ctrl+Alt+Shift

• I must have reinstalled Photoshop like 6 times now. Ranging from version 2018 - 2020, all with the same behaviour.

• I have tried 3 different keyboards as well as the Windows On-Screen keyboard and made sure to unplug everything else from my PC.

I don't think I have ever faced a technical problem this persistent. My last option seems to be to reinstall Windows, so I figured I'd post this to see if anyone else can think of literally anything.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Experiment , iPadOS , macOS , SDK , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this post to be quite helpful and intriguing. We appreciate you sharing your unique opinions with us. I will most certainly share this with my peers. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-is-ignoring-every-single-ke...

If you’ve been looking for a good relaxing and entertaining game as much lately, just come Fun Games 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am going to ask obvious questions, so bare with me and don't get mad. 🙂

You have reinstalled Photoshop and reset Preferences.  (Reinstalling does not reset Preferences unless you use the cleaner tool.   Come to think of it, it might come down to yet another reinstall, but use the Cleaner Tool between uninstalling and reinstalling, but hold in reserve for later.

So reset Preferences again, but do it manually. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Do you use custom workspaces?  If yes, set and reset the Essentuals Workspace.

Are the default shortcuts there when you open Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts?

Do you have any plugins or extensions installed?  Try opening Photoshop while holding down the Shift key.  This forces only Photoshop to load.

What processes are running in the background, and could they be stealing focus for the shortcuts?  This one is a stretch because of the global nature of the problem, But Nvidia Geforce will definitely overight some of Photoshop's shortcuts as a for instance

You have tried different keyboards, but whaty about keyboard drivers?  I don't know this for a fact, but Photoshop does seem to hanndle some APIs differently to other apps.  So do you have a gaming keyboard or mouse, for instance, and do you have an interface like Logitech G-Hub or Options, or Corsair iCue or Razer Synapse?  I have used all of them and they can all lock out some functions, but IIRC it's usually with a key.

So good luck, and we await to hear how you  get on.

My gut is that another reinstall, but this time using the Cleaner Tool is your best bet.

I think 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines