• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop makes straight lines when drawing curves?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only had this issue for I guess about a week, but it's seriously impeding productivity. Whenever I try to use any brush tool to draw a freehand line (most noticeable when drawing curves quickly), more often than not part of the line or sometimes even the whole line will be rendered as if drawn holding shift. This issue only ever happens when drawing lines immediately after hitting step backwards (command+z), and its also easily replicable with a mouse or just my laptops own trackpad so I don't think it has anything to do with tablet drivers. I've also tried to map step backwards as a keystroke to one of my tablets express keys, since I thought it had something to do with the command to move feature sometimes being stuck right after command-z, but the problem still persists.

I'm using Photoshop 2020 on MacBook Pro 13' with OS Big Sur, and a Wacom intuos pro medium and pro pen slim. (Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling older drivers and updating to latest drivers, though nothing helped. Photoshop 2021 also seem to have this exact problem.)

1FE1CE5F-F97F-4C6A-BBF4-7A35571D634A.png

Does anyone know of similar issues and how to go about fixing it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

It's called a 'shoelace artefact' but I thought the issue was fixed a couple of version updates ago.  This screen shot is from the Lazy Nezumi Pro website showing the artefact.

image.png

It was caused by problems with the Windows Ink, and Wintab APIs, so whichever one you are using, try the other.  AFAIK Windows Ink is the preferred API now, so open the Wacom Tablet Properties > Mapping and if Windows Ink is not checked, do so.

This old post shows where the PSConfig.txt file is located. Find the file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did you find a solution? I'm stuck on this exact same issue for a week. It seems worse after stepping backwards like you say. I am on pc with ps 2022 and I can reproduce with wacom or mouse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's called a 'shoelace artefact' but I thought the issue was fixed a couple of version updates ago.  This screen shot is from the Lazy Nezumi Pro website showing the artefact.

image.png

It was caused by problems with the Windows Ink, and Wintab APIs, so whichever one you are using, try the other.  AFAIK Windows Ink is the preferred API now, so open the Wacom Tablet Properties > Mapping and if Windows Ink is not checked, do so.

This old post shows where the PSConfig.txt file is located. Find the file and open it in Notepad.

If it only has the following line, you can delete PSConfig. If it is doing other functions, delete the line below and save it.

UseSystemStylus 0

If you still have an issue then come back and we'll look deeper, or you could try Lazy Nezumi which will fix that issue and give you a zillion other functions.  It's the best $30 you can spend to improve a graphics tablet, and it works with all drawing/art apps.

https://lazynezumi.com/home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines