• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Neural Filter Smart Portrait eye direction help!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you in advance for reading my post!

When trying to use the eye direction neural filter I am getting very different results to what I see online. When changing the eye direction it appears to overlay a totally new set of very different eyes altogether. It looks like it's unmasking as totally different image from underneath. Similarly I get the same results with the hair thickening filter. It also appears to be the same face everytime regardless of who's in the photo.

I've been wracking my brain uninstalled and reinstalled and cannot find anything online about this. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear back! I've had the same issue on PS Beta and PS 2023, both clean installs on a Windows machine. 

As a lightroom user 90% of my PS purchase was driven by the need to use this feature as my little nephew and nieces are never looking at the camera! So its been a little sad not to get this working. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jay8686 can you share a screenshot of your project including the neural filter window showing your settings and the error on screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thank you so much for your reply, sorry for the slow response on my end I was on a long haul flight with the family over the weekend.

Hopefully the 3 images attached come through:

- One is the original image (as a controlled experiment I borrowed the image from a youtube video demonstrating the eye direction tool here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csh7PKw6yIs

- The next is the image with only the eye direction neural filter applied at "+1". As you can see even at just +1 it's already applied a totally different pair of eyes!

- The final image is a screenshot of the neural filter settings, indicating the only thing changed was the minimum to eye direction.

What is strange is that it appears to show the same face when applying the filter regardless of the subject of the photo.

Many thanks once again for taking a look!

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not used it before, but I have just had a play and it is very effective, and surprisingly fast (for me).  What I did see, is when I changed eye direction, it sometimes did not show any change untill I adjusted one of the other parameters, and then it would show. 

What might be useful is to either make the layer a Smart Object so you can toggle Smart Portrait off and on.  Or maybe better still, copy the layer, apply Smart Portrait, and zoom in to 100% 1:1 zoom ratio.  Also try setting the edited layer's blend mode to Difference which make even tiny changes stand out.

OK, I have played with it some more, and sometimes it takes a few seconds for a change to show.  Maybe five seconds, but I am using an i9-13900K with 64Gb and RTX4800.  So try giving it some time, or hit the OK button and see if changes show after a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Trevor,

that's really very kind of you to have a play with the feature just on my behalf- thank you! I can see from the results online that others have had that it should be a really effective and convincing feature.

I also had a similar issue on the changes not reflecting until I play with another parameter and then change back, but unfortunately it didn't fix the strange eyes. Even when setting the slider to just +1 it makes a drastic change to the eyes themselves (i.e. they look like they belong on a totally different person! but also strangely the same person regarless of who's image I use).

You are running a beast of a rig! On my side I have a current gen Ryzen 7, 32G Ram, the processing is still not bad, it's more that it has a very odd result. see the original image vs. +1 eye direction setting (which should in theory be very minor).

Example Original:

Original image.jpg

Eye direction set to +1:

Neural eye direction filter set to +1.jpg

 

For the purpose of the above I borred the image from the youtube video linked here, as you can see the author got a very different outcome.

Thank you for taking a look once again!

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines