• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop not recognizing Pen Pressure

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop CS6 64-bit with a Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet.  I've already tried fixing/resetting the tablet numerous times, and I've come to the conclusion that the problem is with Photoshop, not the tablet.  Important points of my problem

1. Whenever I completely reset my computer, photoshop recognizes the tablet and uses it correctly. The problem arises after I close my laptop or unplug the tablet.  When I try to use it again, it gives the triangle warning box that says pen sensitivity is not available without a pressure-sensitive tablet.

2. The tablet with Pen Pressure works in Manga Studio 100% of the time.  This is why I'm posting this in the Adobe Forums, not Wacom.

I've tried several fixes, I must have reinstalled different versions of my Tablet Driver 10 times at least, it always comes back to this same problem.  No matter what I do, it works for awhile, but when I put my laptop to sleep or unplug the tablet, photoshop no longer recognizes it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on an Intuos4 / Windows 10 / Photoshop CC2015.

Wacom's control panel recognises the pen pressure, so it's not a Wacom issue. PS gives me a little warning "!" triangle next to the brush size jitter control when it's set to pen pressure. Illustrator senses the pen pressure fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happens to me anybody has any idea how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I'm having the same problem with my Wacom Intuos on Mac as well

have you found a solution for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The proper solution is this.

Open Notepad, or any text editor of your choice

As long as it can save files with the TXT extension.

Type the following lines in the file:-

----------------------------

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

----------------------------

The first line is not really necessary, as it’s a comment. And it just tells Photoshop to use Wintab on its own.

Save the file with the name PSUserConfig.txt

Place this file Into Photoshop settings folder.

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\<Photoshop Version>\<Photoshop version> Settings\

( Or wherever your appdata for Photoshop is, with this you do not need to worry about the whole issue with windows / other software interfering with the pen and you do not need "Use windows ink" turned on anymore. This should be a standard function with photoshop )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the nib worked for me too - not intuitive but great suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Despite the continued claims that this is a driver issue, it is not a driver issue. This is entirely a Photoshop issue. If you open the Photoshop application with a mouse click, Photoshop recognizes all input as mouse input with the same settings as your mouse. If you open it with a pen click, Photoshop will successfully recognize it as a pen and will allow you to use pressure sensitive controls.
Replacing the nib has no effect. Changing the driver has no effect. Reinstalling Photoshop has no effect. It all comes down to how you actually open the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you just blew my mind. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my recent experience, I just needed to turn off my wireless microsoft mouse, and the pen pressure and everything around it worked correctly.

hope that helps someone

Bv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh god i tried so many things..and i tried what you said. I turned off my wireless mouse and it worked ! Thankyou so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried all above. still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2015 Nov 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found a solution that worked instantly for me.  I tried replacing nib, didn't work.  I tried launching PS with pen, didn't work.

Go into the Wacom Tablet Properties screen where you make adjustments to the pen.

Make sure to add Photoshop to the Application section.

As soon as I added Photoshop, the exclamation point disappeared and the pressure function start worked.

Hope this helps everyone.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave !

Your fix worked for me. As stated it did work as soon as I added Photoshop in the applications list. I did not even had to close the Wacom Tablet Properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it also seems that the Use Windows Ink option under Mapping has to be checked for the Photoshop Application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the Windows Ink is a real pain since it constantly opens contextual menu (long press on Windows 10).

If someone has an idea how to fix this...

Actually I found the answer when writing this message: Go to pen and touch settings and tweak as you wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome help thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the one that worked for me!! Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave's answer worked for me after everything else failed. Thanks, @flyboyusa!

flyboyusa  wrote

I just found a solution that worked instantly for me.  I tried replacing nib, didn't work.  I tried launching PS with pen, didn't work.

Go into the Wacom Tablet Properties screen where you make adjustments to the pen.

Make sure to add Photoshop to the Application section.

As soon as I added Photoshop, the exclamation point disappeared and the pressure function start worked.

Hope this helps everyone.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMFG dave you beatiful soul this worked. A whole work morning lost but it seems fixed thank you! I kow this is old or w/e but still relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave's solution worked for me. Thank you Dave.

Corporate photographer based in Calgary, Canada and Oviedo, Spain. Making portraits, architectural, industrial and advertising photography for national and global brands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this was the only fix to Photoshop's bug, and the jokers from adobe who always try to pin their shortcomings on other "drivers" are just pitiful really.
Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possible solution:

In Wacom Tablet Properties add the Application Photoshop and in the Mapping tab check 'Use Windows ink' this should fix the pressure.

Now this is done it has the annoying circle that appears when clicking called Press and hold that acts as a right click. To disable this go to Control Panel > Pen and Touch and disable press and hold for right-clicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally worked for me. Googled my ass off for finding a solution. Following this fixed it.

Cheers mate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this 'use windows ink' option? I've never seen it. i'm running Windows 10. I've scoured the wacom control panel and settings, i've never seen it!

-Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wacomsettings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines