• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop partially stops responding

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can work in Photoshop for quite a while but then suddenly it freezes and stops taking any input from my mouse and my tablet pen.

I can move my cursor (it stays as the default arrow) and I can use my keyboard shortcuts to select tools and I can select anything like layers, colours, menus and windows with my mouse, but I can't actually draw anything in the viewport.

No certain action seems to trigger it, I can save but I end up having to exit and reopen my file every time, it happens, which is usually every couple hours.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that, but Alt+Control+Shift doesn't bring anything up for me, can I get to that through the menus?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning"

Does it perform as expected without freezing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also getting this same problem in the latest Photoshop build. v24.0.1

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try Enable Flick Panning but why is this bug still not fixed years later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to reply to this thread, my bad. But I don't think this worked either, I'm stilll having this issue.

It's been quite a pain having to exit and reopen every couple hours for the past year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well and it's rather annoying.

On some files it used to be every ten minutes, others once every 2 hours so.

Still it's a nuisance and I want it gone and so far none of the answers online have yielded any solutions.

Using Photoshop 23.1.0 (yes, licensed version)

Windows 10 64bit (yes, also licensed)

GeForce RTX 2080 (NVidia Studio drivers version 472.84, latest)

Reseting/trashing your preferences achieves nothing but giving you a headache of having to reinstore your custom preferances all over again.

Turning off the GPU in performance is like telling someone to chop of their arm because it itches.

The only thing I've found to work (so far though, but hey it's been almost 2 issues without a single occurance)

Edit > Preferences > Performance..

Under (checked) Use Graphics Processor, click on "Advanced Settings..."

In the little pop-up menu disable "Anti-alias Guides and Paths".

I only have "Use OpenCL" enabled, the other two are disabled.

That fixes the issue for me.

I use Photoshop for illustration and some animation (which is just illustration to a beat :D),

so I can live without antialias and paths... (for now).

Please fix your app Adobe! It's ridiculously expensive and it doesn't work (as intended).

Meanwhile Clip Studio Paint is waaaaaay better for drawing at only a fraction of the price for Photoshop.

And it's 50% almost half of the time.

Whatcha gon' do Adobe, the ball is in your hands now.

Cheers everyone and merry Christmas, happy New Year

Have fun and all that good stuff, joy to the world and all around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem here in 2023. Usually happens after I use space bar to drag the photo around... I'll try the advanced settings for now. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines