Photoshop process doesn't end when app is closed

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 20.0.1

Lightroom Classic CC 8.1 build 1200465

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with SP1

My typical workflow is to select several images in Lightroom, launch them as layers in Photoshop for stacking, then closing the apps when I'm done.  Lightroom shuts down fine, but Photoshop never fully shuts down.  The app UI is closed, but the Photoshop.exe process remains, and holds onto all the RAM it was using (usually over 4 GB).  Photoshop will not re-launch as long as this condition persists.  I have to end the process using Task Manager before I can re-launch Photoshop.

This did not occur before the most recent update to Photoshop.  How do I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answer after 2 years, that kinda sucks. I have about 7 processes to kill EVERY TIME I close photoshop, which is several times a day.  Been this way for a couple years, annoying as hell but I am kind of used to it.  Adobe seemingly has no empathy for those of us that can't afford a megacomputer. I also have to restart my computer every couple hours if I am really going at it on photoshop, because the temp file gets so huge photoshop crashes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like you are critically low on disk space, which can quickly cause much bigger problems than Photoshop closing.

Photoshop is a professional-grade application, and it is, as always for any professional tool, the user's responsibility to ensure the necessary resources are available. Photoshop makes no excuses.

For non-professional use, they offer Photoshop Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe there is a bug! There is nothing wrong with my PC an I'm an IT professional. If I open Photoshop, then close it, it still shows as running. If I double click a .CR2 or .CR3 file, it opens and when I close it it is still running in the background using memory, so I can't re-open until I end the task. I have hundreds of gigabytes of space and 128 gig of RAM. There is a bug which Adobe clearly need to sort out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'There is a bug which Adobe clearly need to sort out.'

Adobe will only be able to sort out such a 'bug' if they can replicate it. I cannot replicate that here, I've checked three separate systems (two are mine and one other). On all three closing Photoshop closes it completely - no Photoshop processes are left running.

Perhaps you should give more details of your system and the exact steps to replicate.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand where you are coming from, but there are so many people with this issue there must be something going on. I use my Adobe Cloud on my PC and then when I'm mobile on my laptop. I don't have this issue on my laptop but do on the PC. I believe it does clear eventually but I am not sure how long it takes. It sits in memory for a good period of time. I will endeavour to work out how long. The bottom line is, if I double click on one of my .CR3 (or .CR2) files, it opens in Photoshop as the extension is associated. However, if I then edit and save and close PS, it remains in memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just opened it then closed it. It stayed in memory using 15% CPU and  about 1.7 gig of RAM for 10 minutes, then it closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are so many people with this issue there must be something going on

By @Philfy Phil

I can't reproduce it either, and I can't off the top of my head remember any other cases reported here except the two above (but of course my memory isn't perfect).

Anyway. A bug is by definition something that happens to some people some of the time under some circumstances. So if you want to call it a bug, I suppose that's technically correct. But it may not be an Adobe bug, it can just as well be an OS bug. Hard to tell.

The only way to find out, is to reproduce it on another system. So post it under the "Bugs" tab, and include as many details about your system as you can. Often the key is in the environment (other installed software etc). If it's a widespread problem, others will chime in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, but if you google it, you will find more cases.

PS - I can't fault you responses though, very fast! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tyried exactly what I am doing?

If I open Photoshop from either Creative Cloud console or from the default shortcut in Windows, then close it, it does not remain as a running task.

If I double click on an associated file (mine are Canon RAW files, .CR2 and .CR3), after opening it opens in Camera Raw. I then edit, select done, then close photoshop.

It then remains as a running task for about 10 minutes using quite a lot of resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem. Reset photoshop preferences fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines