• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop rotates images without being asked to

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having troubles with an image that I took, edited in Photoshop, and saved. Although this PNG views fine in Windows Photo Viewer, when opened in Photoshop (or placed in InDesign) it rotates clockwise 90 degrees. In InDesign, it actually shows that it's rotated by -90 degrees, so it's evidently an Adobe issue. Rotating it back in Photoshop solves the issue, and doesn't affect WPV, but I'd rather the issue didn't occur. I'm on a PC, latest versions of Photoshop and InDesign.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

The image most likely has rotation metadata in it, usually, this begins at image capture or may later be applied in software such as Adobe Bridge.

You can disable this in Preferences > File Handling:

rotation-meta.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Yes, if you follow the link in my previous post there is a Bridge script to remove rotation metadata. This can also be removed using other software such as ExifTool. Photoshop could also have a script written to process a folder of files without opening the files, however, I think it makes more sense in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image most likely has rotation metadata in it, usually, this begins at image capture or may later be applied in software such as Adobe Bridge.

You can disable this in Preferences > File Handling:

rotation-meta.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload the image to something like Dropbox so it can be examined.
Unlikely a Photoshop bug. Very likely as outlined earlier metadata after a rotation in a parametric editor like Camera Raw etc.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, thanks! Any way of deleting this metadata? It's still rotating in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you follow the link in my previous post there is a Bridge script to remove rotation metadata. This can also be removed using other software such as ExifTool. Photoshop could also have a script written to process a folder of files without opening the files, however, I think it makes more sense in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, your script worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines