• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop save as jpeg no longer works as an action

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create an action to save an image as a jpeg, because of the new 2 step 'save as copy' functions it no longer works. Instead of saving as it's own file name it saves as the name of the file I first created the action on. How can this be fixed? I need it to process about 200 images and don't fancy going through the 'save as' process individually. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must edit your Action such that it uses Files > Save a Copy instead of File > Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot of the expanded Action in the Actions Panel? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both. After much testing it seems if you manually click FILE > SAVE AS COPY, instead of the shortcut (command shift S) and selecting SAVE AS COPY from there, it works. So it must be a glitch that after using the shortcut, by selecting 'SAVE AS COPY' it refreshes and saves as the copy of only that file name.. so you can't then run the action on different files because each time it 'saves' it overwrites the file name of the original and you end up with only one out of the whole batch – the last file, but named the first file name.

@c.pfaffenbichler screenshot below, seems usual and doesn't mention a file name, just location as it should. Yet it overwrites the file name anyway. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 8.43.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a simple way around all this, since you already have an action:

As the first steps in the action, flatten and convert to 8 bit (as well as anything else you want done). Then you don't have to use Save A Copy, but can Save as per usual.

Don't include file name in the action, just save to folder. Then it will retain the original name and they won't save over.

As the last step, after you've saved out to your destination folder, close the original file without saving. This is to protect your original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, unfortunately that won't work as my original files are PSDs and I save out low res jpegs for client approval as I go. I need to be able to keep working in the PSD, not then have to close a flattened jpeg, and reopen the PSD. At the end I flatten and save as tiff all in one action, but the jpegs I need to be copies as it also helps track the stages of edits. 
I've never had any issues with this until this week, so it must just be in the latest update. 

Recording the manual FILE > SAVE AS COPY has worked though, so fine for now, but maybe a fix is needed for the shortcut in the next version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try File > Export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save a history snapshot before the flattering step, then select the history snapshot after saving. This is recordable in the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that will save me a file in a folder on my desktop to send to the client?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Studio 12 wrote:

I've never had any issues with this until this week, so it must just be in the latest update. 

Yes, it's in the latest update: 22.4.1

See here for the "why""
https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/ 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so basically I need to make a new shortcut for the 'save as copy' command, rather than going through the usual 'save as' shortcut?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever figured out? I'm in the exact same situation. - Really dont fancy saving out 200 folders on 5 seperate Psd's, manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're going to do this with actions, just include steps in the action to make the file comply with the jpeg file format specification first.

Then Save to jpeg works like it always has, no need for Save A Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines