Exit

Photoshop save selection not working

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8rpHKWO.png

Image content cropped (proprietary).

I want to trim off the white edges at the bottom. I use color range to select and invert it. How do i go about cropping it off now? I tried copy merged and paste to new but somehow it pasted with the unselected white edges as well.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you make a selection then use Image>Crop. Your document will be the size of the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What i did was:

1. select near the bottom region (to avoid color range affecting main parts of the image)

2. Select > color range > pick bottom edge color > invert selection

It seems like i'm not properly selecting the image with the above steps? Crop has no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the sliver of white is quite narrow, enlarge the view (strike Cmd + several times) and then click in the area with the Magic Wand (Tolerance in the Options bar set to 8px, checkmark Contiguous) to select the white and strike the Delete key. Then return to your previous view (Cmd -). followed by Image > Trim > Transparent pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am not sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to fill the thin white strip at the bottom with black like the rest of the background or are you trying to select the green bordered area and have that be your full image?

If you make a selection using any selection tool and then go under the Image menu and choose Crop, the image becomes your selected area and the rest is cropped off.

If you make a selection and then go under Select and choose Save Selection, you are just saving the selected area as a new Channel into the same image. And yes, in this case the white area would still be there because you have not really cropped anything or changed anything in the image.

If you want everything outside your selected area to be a different color, you can make your selection, then go under the Select menu and choose Select Inverse. This "selects" everything but what you had before. Then you can go under Edit and choose Fill and fill the "inverted selection" with another color - like black in this instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines