• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop shortcuts and "tilde" (~) shortcut, in an AZERTY keyboard.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'd like to know were I can find the "tilde" (~) shortcut in an AZERTY keyboard ? (The shortcut that allows the user to toggle in between the brush tool in "normal mode" and in "clear mode")
And is it possible to change that shortcut to another one that suits my AZERTY keyboard ?
Does anyone know about this matter ?

By the way, I find it a bit odd that a lot of shortcuts are very difficult to access when you don't use an English keyboard.

Thankyou very much.

Merlin PARDO.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Shift plus which is to the left of the w. I think that's the tilde equivalent on AZERTY keyboards.

The tilde key toggles between the brush tool and the eraser tool when pressed. (Since Photoshop 2020).

As I understand it, this is a dedicated shortcut like the Tab or Esc key and can't be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gene, Wikipedia has a number of different images for the AZERTY layout depending on operating system, but most of them show a modified number 2 key.  I don't know for sure what the blue culour signifies.

image.png

@Merlin.Pardo  Check out this old thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/how-to-access-the-tilde-key-with-a-french-key...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AZERTY

janee_0-1659751226963.png

Tilde

• The tilde is available under Windows by using a combination of the  Alt Gr  +  Ã©  keys, followed by the letter requiring the tilde.
  • On Macs, the "ñ" can be obtained by the combination of Alt + N keys, followed by the N key.
  • In the Belgian AZERTY layout, it can be generated by a combination of  Alt Gr  +  = .

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis 

I picked the Apple Support Community's answer even if it was tagged "MacOS and Windows" and the answer given here as the solution.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3775219?answerId=17740205022#17740205022

Going to the Brush/Eraser hotkey, it's actually the `/~ key on a QWERTY keyboard and selecting only the brush first, then pressing that key will flip it to the eraser.  ` and ~ will do the same thing.

While QWERTY Photoshop uses this key, I'm guessing the AZERTY Shift +  >/< key would be the equivalent, but not sure if it has been adopted yet as the Brush/Eraser switch key.

We will need more information as to what AZERTY keyboard he has if it's not the French keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For windows user :

Workaround 1 : change your keyboard location (language) per application in advanced keyboard parameter. After that you have to change language once whenever you use an app then it will remember it.

Workaround 2 : remap your key using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator on official microsoft website. I have a french keyboard and remaped the ² key to ` key (accent grave, which unicode is U+0060). Validate layout and name it, test it, build package, open created folder, intall.exe, then log out windows, log in, change to your new keyboard layout (win+space) et voilà!!! works great and my layout still azerty ! (works with win 11 even if not mentionned on website)

And you can remap any (more or less) key you want with symbol and other not available in your language, you can use charmap.exe (included in windows) to find them and their unicode. ((!be careful, works also with windows login password)

(but sadly workaround 2 does not work with tourbox, so still waiting for a proper fix...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines