• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop–Smart Object Changes Size when Duplicated in a Different File

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am having this weird issue with Smart Objects, Adobe support has no idea and I really don't know if I am crazy or something is happening with Smart Objects in Ps. The issue is I create a square file in Photoshop, add a rectangular image which I position accordingly (my file is still a square) add text. Finally I select all the layers and convert to Smart Object and it is still the same square nothing changed. Now I bring the square Smart Object into a new file and the Smart Object is no longer a square but it's a rectangle showing my whole image. I am crazy or is something wrong with the Smart Object

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Could it be that the layer(s) you are using to generate your Smart Object have content that extends beyond the edge of the canvas? If these are pixels you don't need, perhaps delete/trim them before creating the Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that the layer(s) you are using to generate your Smart Object have content that extends beyond the edge of the canvas? If these are pixels you don't need, perhaps delete/trim them before creating the Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes it  has to do with the content that extends beyond the canvas. Trimming solves the issue. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent. I'm happy to hear you've got a solution. Best of luck with your designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Aga_P – Check the PPI resolution between the two files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for getting back to me. I think this was the content extended beyond the canvas, but thank you for your suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael Bullo - You're right. If a layer extends past the confines of the canvas, trimming off the excess before turning the image into a smart object will maintain the original canvas' dimensions when the smart object is placed into a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PBArtattack,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes this was the issue. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Aga_P Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Thankyou for getting back to me. Yes, I needed to troim the layer to size before converting to SO. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see bounding box outside of canvas? Thats your image which is larger then canvas, that is probably problem you have.

Bojanivkovi_0-1662526505389.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bojan,

Thankyou for getting  back to me. Yes this was the issue. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines