Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Suddenly Taking *Forever* to Save

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all! 

I have a pretty simple workflow for basic product photography, usually just a levels layer, a layer for healing/cloning out dust and product flaws, and occasionally some other adjustment layers. Typical file size ranges from 250-500mb on average working in 16bit.

I've had the same workflow for almost 2 years now, but for some reason out of nowhere my save time has gotten ridiculous, in some cases 5+ minutes per file. This would make sense for more complex composites or heavy duty retouching, but that feels excessive for just a few adjustment layers and some cloning.

I tried deactivating file compression in my preferences and that doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Did something happen in the recent update to cause this? Is there some random setting that got changed, added, or flipped on?

Working on an ASUS ProArt Studiobook with Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor, 32GB of Memory, and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Laptop GPU.

Any help would be appreciated!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving directly to an external drive, and if so, how is it formatted? exFAT or NTFS? Do you see the same when saving to a local drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saving locally to the main laptop HD. Also, it seems to be completely random, sometimes taking only a few seconds to save, while an identical file with the same layers taken in the same format will take 5+ minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slowness while saving files or exporting assets

• At the OS level, tweak system virtual memory/page size. Consult the documentation for your operating system (Windows or macOS).
  • Ensure that your computer has adequate free hard disk space.
  • Ensure that you have write permissions to the location to which you’re saving the file.
  • Ensure that you’re not saving the file to a network drive. That use case is unsupported.
  • Add scratch disks for Photoshop’s use (Preferences > Scratch Disks).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the checklist! 

My virtual memory is currently set to auto - this has not changed, so I'm not sure this is the issue but willing to mess around with it if you think it will help.

I have just under 700gb available of 1.86gb on the harddrive.

Yes I have write permissions - there have been no major changes to my workflow and this is my personal laptop.

I am saving to the onboard harddrive.

My scratch disk is set to the main harddrive, so it has previously mentioned 700gb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Woops...that should say 1.86tb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines