• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Timeline is Completely Unintuitive

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does creating a new frame in "frame animation" not create an associated layer or group? (give you the option to select one, and set say opacity)
Why cant I drag and drop layers or groups onto new frames to set the frame?
Why cant I drag a new layer on to the timeline to create a new frame?
Why cant I toggle between frame using the arrow keys?
Why cant i delete the entire timeline and remove the frame animation from a menu ON THE TIMELINE?
Why when i create a frame animation the default frame time is 5 seconds? That will very rarely be needed.
Why when i create or swap from frame animation to video timeline, do all my frames STACK ON TOP OF EACHOTHER?
Why do i have to key a layer to a frame by toggling visibility?

Most importantly, why did you, Adobe, add a timeline and animation system to Photoshop, and then make it complete and total unintuitive crap?

If i am being DEAD honest, your timeline feature complete garbage. Fix it. Make it usable. Make it reasonable. MAKE IT INTUITIVE.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Hi Gearhart, 

Wow, it seems like you are really frustrated with the timeline feature in Photoshop. I have my students use it to create short and quick GIFs files. They find it fun. We also create animations using After Effects and Animate. These programs are made for animation. We use Premiere for video editing. Those timelines are intuitive for video, animation, and GIFs. Sometimes we create an animation in After Effects and then finish it in Photoshop to save it as a GIF. Some of these things

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gearhart, 

Wow, it seems like you are really frustrated with the timeline feature in Photoshop. I have my students use it to create short and quick GIFs files. They find it fun. We also create animations using After Effects and Animate. These programs are made for animation. We use Premiere for video editing. Those timelines are intuitive for video, animation, and GIFs. Sometimes we create an animation in After Effects and then finish it in Photoshop to save it as a GIF. Some of these things might make what you are trying to do easier.

I am not Adobe, so I can't answer your questions. However, I want to share some ideas and our workarounds with you. I have my students use it to create short and quick GIFs files. They find it fun. Some of these things might make what you are trying to do easier.

Not sure what you were trying to do, but maybe you could try some of these ideas in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up here searching about "Adobe Photoshop Timeline is garbage" . It's ridiculous. Compared to Image After and After Effects I have serious doubts they have ever actually used the function themselves. We really regressed, didn't we? Photoshop WAS better a decade ago. And like you when giving lessons it's sad to make myself look like a fool because the software has turned against me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Compared to Image After and After Effects"

Hi MagnusKallas,

If you did not read Andrea's excellent response to the question you found with your search, please read it now. Note that Photoshop is at its core an image editor with other capabilities. As Andrea says, After Effects (and Animate CC) were made for animation, so by all means use After Effects for animation since you have it and know it.

Can you tell us what "Image After" is? 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. Been using Ps since 5, Pr since 1.5, Ae since CS3. Professional media creator for a fortune 200 company. Ps animation/timeline/video is just ridiculously dated and counterintuitive. Done with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you assume someon'e frustrated for only telling the hard truth?

It's rude and unpolite!

One exoects from photo manipulating program to be able to have intuitive tools, not this obscure insanity of no options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE SAME HOLDS TRUE FOR AFTER EFFECTS. SUPER BIG TIME WASTER. 

THINKING ADOBE IS FOR ROBOTS NOT ACTUAL ARTISTS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know that many animators who work in Ps use this add-on to help make things easier: https://www.animatorstoolbar.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you should split your questions into different suggestions:ideas threads so that others might pile in and vote for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The real question is: why animate in Photoshop at all? There are dedicated and easier-to-use apps out there, including free ones. And improving Photoshop's animation features are assumedly a non-priority in the minds of the developers, seeing that After Effects, Animate, and Premiere are part of the CC suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines