• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop TO Lightroom

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a picture I've been editing in Photoshop, and I really want to export it to Lightroom to make some final adjustments.

No matter what I do, I can only find ways to transfer files from Lightroom to Photoshop. I need the opposite.

Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are misunderstanding how lightroom works. It is a database that points to the images on the drive. In the database is a thumbnail and metadata for that image and thats all.

So You can save the image to anyplace you want on your drive. Preferable a folder that normally is used with lightroom. Ex. create a folder called graphics. Then in lightroom you use file>import to select that folder.

Now every time you add any images to that folder, all you need to do is sync that folder in lightroom and it will add those images. Syncing will also remove any images from the database that are no longer in that folder. So it works both ways to make sure the folder and the database are mirrored hence the name sync.

A bit of caution though, when you edit images in lightroom that edit is stored in the database not the file. So you need to select that image(s) {more than one image can be saved at once} and save. ctrl-s(windows) cmd-s(mac)

A sync will overwrite the metadata of either the database or the files on the drive. It is up to you to make sure they are the same before syncing to make sure you don't get any unwanted surprises.

As long as you saved the metadata to the files you are good to go for syncing the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure how that answers the question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does answer the question and you do misunderstand how Lightroom works. Images are never "in" Lightroom - they are out there on the disk and the Lightroom catalog keeps track of where, by importing the files.

Now. Here's what you're specifically looking for: If you "edit in" Photoshop from Lightroom, and you then save the file from Photoshop, Lightroom will continue to track the file and automatically add it to the catalog. For this to work, Lightroom has to remain open throughout the process.

If you have closed Lightroom and want to go back to the file, you have to follow standard procedure and import it into the Lightroom catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Silkrooster and D.Fosse are correct.

One other thing to add though - if all you want from Lightroom is the adjustments - then you can just select all layers, Convert for Smart Filters and use  Filter Camera Raw within Photoshop. You get the same adjustments with no need to open Lightroom at all.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like that idea better where the image can have the benefit of lightroom filters without all the saving and opening and then there are conflicts etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No hes not misuderstanding (Abuse removed by moderator).  His question is very simple. How do you take something created in photoshop and move it over to Lightroom? For example when creating a contact sheet and altering photos... Just answer the question or don't say anytthing at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being abusive is not the best way of getting help, it also breaks the forum rules.

However, to answer your question, you don't move a file to Lightroom. Instead, in Photoshop just save the image to disk, then go to Lightroom and import it. That will add it to the catalogue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense! Just wish it could have been posted
when question was first asked by several.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johnnie! I was checking this question and saw how irrelevant the answers were! After all those called 'professional' seem to know but the catalogue and don't improvise to know what people mean! Hey professionals, Adobe is about creativity, don't limit your mindsets to shortsighted instructions! Although the question was so easy: "Is there a way to send an image you are editing in Photoshop to complete editing in Lightroom" we know there is the possibility to go vice versa (from Photoshop to LR) but the LR to PS is not yet possible, I hope Adobe can provide this function.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As was answered above it is possible in both directions.

If starting in Lightroom, i.e. with an image that is already imported to the Lightroom catalogue,  use Edit in Photoshop. Then close and save and the resulting edited image can be edited further in Lightroom.

If starting in Photoshop, save the image from Photoshop. Then go to Lightroom and import it to the catalogue. Now you can Edit in Lightroom or round trip to Photoshop if you wish to.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late to the party but I agree you did not understand the question. Let me clarify what the OP was intending to ask.

No one is talking about where images are stored.

What the original poster was trying to ask is if Photoshop has a simple and seamless option of clicking your mouse and opening your photo back into Lightroom.  As you know (i hope) Lightroom (for what, a decade now?) has the drop-down menu option to SEND PHOTO TO LIGHTROOM.  

It appears PHOTOSHOP does NOT have this one click option, versus doing the 1980s method of saving the photo independently and re-importing into Lightroom in what is probably several different steps.  

Do you get it now?  I am in this situation right now.  Been using Photoshop for nearly 15 years and Lightroom since the beginning and I always use your method of saving then re-importing but you know (or so I hope) that's *NOT* what we're talking about here.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You don't need to re-import back to Lightroom. If you started in Lightroom and used Edit in Photoshop then just keep Lightroom open. On" Save" your photo will be updated in Lightroom. No other steps required.

The only time you need to import separately to Lightroom is if you started outside of Lightroom e.g. as File New in Photoshop. Then you do need to open Lightroom and import as Lightroom will have no record of it.

You can always raise a feature request at the link below if you want that second operation to be one press :
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

I completely agree with what you are saying, however I found that since the last system updates to both Lightroom and Photoshop, this doesn't happen. I edit back and forth often - usually working primarily out of Lightroom and then making tweeks in Photoshop.  When I would SAVE the image from Photoshop, it would save the copy of the edited image to Lightroom...which was perfect!  It doesn't seem to do that anymore just via SAVE from Photoshop.  The problem I have then is that if I try to pull the image from the saved file(where it was saved from Photoshop to my computer files) it won't allow me to do it because it's a duplicate image.

If you know of another way to make this happen, would you please explain it to me? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this! This answered my question perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering this. When saving in photoshop with the intent of bringing it back to lightroom, what format do you save the photo under? I've been saving it as a TIFF but am not sure if that's correct..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Joanna5E4C wrote:

Thanks for answering this. When saving in photoshop with the intent of bringing it back to lightroom, what format do you save the photo under? I've been saving it as a TIFF but am not sure if that's correct..

IMHO, TIFF is ideal. At least more ideal than PSD and here is why:

http://digitaldog.net/files/TIFFvsPSD.pdf

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose I have a similar question. When I am working with an image in Lightroom and decide I want to do an edit in photoshop, I click ā€œopen in photoshopā€ and it does so. Then, when Iā€™m finished in photoshop, I ā€saveā€ (cmd-s). j donā€™t close Lightroom while Iā€™m doing this. When I then click back to the still-open Lightroom in the dock, I canā€™t find any evidence of having made any changes in photoshop. So add me to the list of those who donā€™t understand how Lightroom works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a couple of youtube videos to get you 'up to speed' with the interaction between Lr & Ps-

Opening Files from Lightroom into Photoshop ā€“ FAQ - YouTube

Lightroom 5: Moving Between Lightroom and Photoshop - YouTube

Most common problems that cause the "can't find..." symptoms are-

*Having a Sort Order like 'Capture Time'.  The Ps file (from a RAW file) is a new file (captured now!) so it will always appear at the end of photos sorted 'Capture Time'.  Changing Sort Order to 'Filename' will keep the Lr Original and the Ps Copy next to each other (alphabetically) in the Grid.

*If the Lr photo was in a 'Filtered' list (eg. by keyword or a smart Collection) then the new Ps file may not conform to the 'filter' and hence will not be visible.

*Passing a file to Ps by [Edit-In] will have different results depending on the type of file sent. (RAW or RGB, JPG, TIF, etc)

A RAW from Lr will always create a new RGB file in Ps.

An RGB file from Lr has more complications depending on the option you chose. (Edit Original, Edit a Copy, Edit with Lr edits)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I know exactly what he is talking about! If I START  EDITING a picture in Photoshop and finish what I want to do there, and then, I would like to put it lightroom for some other things, it is very difficult, unless one knows the exact steps to doit!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported my photo directly into Photoshop from my memory card. Then when i was done I clicked Share under File menu on the top, and once you click it has an option to share to Lightroom Photos. I clicked that and it appeared in my photoroll in Lightroom in a few minutes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG IT WORKS!!!

THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so sick of all these [abuse removed by moderator] people answering and not one person actually answers the question...

[Note from moderator: please follow forum rules to be kind and respectful.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's two abusive posts in one thread. I've answered your question above.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 points for patience there, Dave šŸ˜‰

I was tempted, but thought, no, let him figure it out for himself...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines