• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: When images sizes are the same iin two files but copying brings them up different.

Participant ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I am copying an image that's in a layer into a layer in another image but the %sizes are different (bottom left screen) even though the image sizes are the same.  so I copy from one to the other and images sizes aren't matched.  I've checked the canvas sizes too and they are the same.

Can someone please help?

Myf McLean

[Moderator moved the thread to the correct forum]

Myfanwy E S McLean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show screen shots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll get that to you tomorrow. Goodnight.

Myfanwy E S McLean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I suggest you post in the forum for the Adobe product you are using. This is the Adobe Stock forum. Maybe the Photoshop forum? https://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sizes are you comparing: cm/inches or pixel?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks your reply was closest to helping. A teacher at uni helped the rest of the way.

Myfanwy E S McLean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't work in physical size units. It works in pixels.

When you copy/paste, you copy pixels. One pixel grid aligns over the other.

If the ppi figures (resolution) in the two are the same, they will also match in size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite helpful reply. I found where that was my problem from help from a teacher.

Myfanwy E S McLean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a pixel editor. If the two document  canvas have the same number of pixels and the sames aspect ratio then the document canvas are the same size and their  and their background layers will be the same size as their canvases.  However other layers can be any size and have any aspect ratio.  Also object in layers can have a different scale.  If the camera is close to you  your picture  background layer will be a face portrait.  If the camera was 20 feet away your full self  will fit on canvas.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll Check layer sizes and aspect ratios because in this case I want my layers from different files to fit over others exactly.  E.g. square on square on square.

Myfanwy E S McLean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the layer bounds has a 1:1 Aspect ratio like the document you can scale the layer to fit exactly on the documents 1:1 aspect ratio canvas.  Only a document Background need to be Canvas size.  Photoshop background layer does not support transparency.  It is because of this that a Background layer will be canvas size. All pixels  in a Background layer  will be 100% filled and have 100% opacity. If it is not the only layer in the document the background  layers visibility can be turned off.

Other layers in a document can have any aspect ratio. Be any size an have any shape.  Other layer can be scaled via a layer transform to fit any size canvas. If the layer transform is not a constrained transform the layer image will distort.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was happening to me too and I just figured it out. Both images have to be pixels per centimeter or pixels per inch. Either one, but they have to be the same. Then, the resolution needs to be the same (300 dpi for instance). I had one file that was pixels per centimeter and the other was pixels per inch that I was pasting into it. I changed the one to pixels per centimeter to match but then had to also change the resolution back to 300 dpi because it will change when you change the inch/centimeter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines