• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Picked colours automatically are background colours, but I want them to be foreground colours, why??

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for maybe not being clear enough, because my English isn't that good, but here's my problem:

Yesterday I was working in Photoshop and all of the sudden when I picked a colour (through the dropper or in the swatches panel, didn't make a difference), instead of the picked colour automaticcaly being the foreground colour (don't know if that's the correct word), it transferred as the background colour.

Of course I could just switch them, but when I pick a new colour, the same problem occured. So every time I want to paint in a certain colour I have to switch the background/foreground colour.  I don't understand what I did or what I should do to solve this. Because I just want to have a picked colour immediately be the foreground colour.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Hi

Open the Color panel and click here :

clipboard_image_0.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Color Panel (Window > Color) which is selected, the Foreground or the Background Color? 

Please post a screenshot including all pertinent Panels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just selected the green colour, you see that it is set as background colour. I have to change it to foreground colour now.I just selected the green colour, you see that it is set as background colour. I have to change it to foreground colour now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this is the one with the drop down menu 'window > colour' (it's in Dutch)Sorry, this is the one with the drop down menu 'window > colour' (it's in Dutch)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Open the Color panel and click here :

clipboard_image_0.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaaah, Thanx! I think this just solved it! Such a simple solution, oh my God! I was clicking it in the more left part and that didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

the color chosen by the eyedropper (foreground/background) is determined by which swatch is

active in the color panel. The active swatch should have a black square around it.

If all else fails, resetting the photoshop preferences might set things straight.

Hold down the Shift+Alt+Ctrl keys while starting photoshop until you get a dialogue

asking to delete the Photoshop settings file and click Yes.

OR Go to Edit>Preferences>General > and rest photoshop preferences.

clipboard_image_0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has been bugging me for ages! I seldom if ever use the colour panel, I just use the direct colour pickers for where I'm working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines