Exit

Pictures suddenly look grainy in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need your help, please

grainy.jpg

When I load my photos into photoshop, they look grainy and undetailed. It is very weird.

When I look at the camera raw filter, they look fine, like they should be!

The pictures have been edited on another pc with photoshop before (with the camera raw filter), but I never had something like that happen. Now it is happening on every picture that I load into Photoshop. I haven't found a solution and need a fix for it fast. Can you please help me out?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

I finally found the solution for this error and I will post it here in case someone googles it and has the same problem.

You have to go to the nvidia settings and find the 3D-Preferences tab (don't know how it is called exactly because my windows is in german). There you will find this:

solution.jpgSet it to "Sharpening off", and your pictures will be normal in Photoshop again. I do not know how this affects other applications, but at least Photoshop works fine for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more info: When I export the picture, everything is fine again. the resolution of this displayed picture is 1280x1080...so not that big. But it happens on bigger and smaller pictures as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell the difference in your screenshots. Maybe the noise is showing up a little better in the PS view than the raw view, but really they look the same to me.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But they are not the same, not even close. This might not be the best selected picture for showing the problem, so I will try again.

Here is the original picture:

scene2.pngAnd this is how it looks in photoshop:

photoshop.pngWhen you look at the skin and the amount of grain in the picture I think that it is very visible, and it does not only bother me but affects my work in ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Cache levels setting in Preferences > Performance.

When set to less than 4, it can make images appear grainy.

Cache levels.png

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked that already. It is set to 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - that doesn't look good at all. Something's definitely wrong here. You're even viewing at 100%, which is normally the way to avoid any artifacts and give the best possible display.

The only thing I can think of is the video driver. Can you update it? In the meantime, try to uncheck "use graphics processor" in preferences. Just as a test; not as a fix.

Also, just as a shot in the dark, check "legacy compositing" in preferences. I doubt that will do anything, but does no harm.

Does this happen with all file formats, or just PNG? What about PSD, TIFF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're right. Weird. PSD and even JPG files are not affected. Only Png seems to be. Checking/Unchecking use graphics processor does not fix the issue for now. I will try to update my graphics driver, will do anything at this point. But can the driver be the issue? I mean, until today it just worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have updated the driver, it still does not work. It is so weird, because in the Camera Raw Filter tab, the picture gets displayed normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally found the solution for this error and I will post it here in case someone googles it and has the same problem.

You have to go to the nvidia settings and find the 3D-Preferences tab (don't know how it is called exactly because my windows is in german). There you will find this:

solution.jpgSet it to "Sharpening off", and your pictures will be normal in Photoshop again. I do not know how this affects other applications, but at least Photoshop works fine for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines