• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing image on uneven surface

Guide ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This a mountain with uneven surface. Is it possible to place the image on this uneven surface so that image also will take the shpe of the uneven surface? image also attached. if it is a flat surface I can use vanishing point.

2024-07-05_09-54-13.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from the perspective/angle, you are looking for the Displace Filter, with a "displacement map" (Google it).

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/using/applying-specific-filters.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the logo, create a new layer, and access the Vanishing Point filter. Define the perspective, paste the logo, and position it accordingly. Confirm the changes, and your logo will now be on a separate layer. Proceed to apply the Displace filter to the layer containing the logo as previously instructed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
12 hours ago 12 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean this one by Displace filter? because it does not come.

2024-07-06_05-01-39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
11 hours ago 11 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to make a map for the Displacement map to work on.

You could either do this manually painting white and black strokes — black to make the shape bend down, and white to bend up.  Or you could use a copy of the background to fudge it and get you started.

I have copied the cliff, made it B&W and increased its contrast.

You then right click and Duplicate to a New Document, and save that as a .psd file.  We'll call it 'Cliff Map'

Note: It is uber important that backward compatability is set to Always in Preeferences > Files (I think).  It won't work otherwise.

image.png

Place your shape and use Free Transform to get the perspective about right

image.png

Select the shape layer and go Filter > Distort > Displace

It opens this dialog box. When you hit OK it will ask you to load a map, so find and select Cliff Map

image.png

This is actually my second go.  I decided to add Gaussian blur value 2.0 to the map and save it again

image.png

I have used a tiny bit of Puppet Warp and ended up with this

image.png

What I like to do is place two copies of the map layer above the displaced layer and clip them to it.

Set one to Multiply, and one to screen, and adjust opacity to suit.  This gives us some shading, but we lose some contrast.

image.png

So to finish off, I've combined the displaced shape and the two shading layers as a Smart Object.

I have clipped a curves layer to that SO and given it some contrast.

Last of all I have clipped a 50% grey layer set to Overlay, and used dodge and burn (or a low opacity black or white brush) to reinfoce shadows and highlights.  It took me much longer to type this than to do it, so you'll be able to make a way better job if you take more time over it.

Good luck.

image.png

Here's the clever bit.  Notice I made the shape layer a Smart Object.

This means you can double click Displace  which reopens the dialog box so you can adjust the values.

You can also fine tune the map and save it again, or Save As with a different name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
11 hours ago 11 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Or you could use a copy of the background to fudge it and get you started.

@Trevor.Dennis 

Firstly, great tutorial! As there are so many online, I didn't bother with a bespoke one, so kudos to you!

I have always favoured using one of the image channels, calculations/apply image and blurs, curves etc. to create the displacement map file, inverting when necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
17m ago 17m ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

...Or you could use a copy of the background to fudge it and get you started.

@Trevor.Dennis 

I have always favoured using one of the image channels, calculations/apply image and blurs, curves etc. to create the displacement map file, inverting when necessary.

By @Stephen_A_Marsh

Hey, great idea Stephen.  I've never thought of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
5 hours ago 5 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't understand following.

"Note: It is uber important that backward compatability is set to Always in Preeferences > Files (I think).  It won't work otherwise." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
18m ago 18m ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't understand following.

"Note: It is uber important that backward compatability is set to Always in Preeferences > Files (I think).  It won't work otherwise." 

By @MahaB82A

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
39m ago 39m ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's brilliant Trevor, thank you!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines