• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG thumbnails sometimes black sometimes white?

Engaged ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save out transparent PNGs, the thumbnails usually show white where the transparency is, but every so often the thumbnails show black instead of white.  The file itself is fine, with transparency intact. It's just the thumbnail that is wrong. I'm not saving the files any differently from one another, just using Save As and choosing PNG. Does anyone know what is causing this of how to avoid it?  I'm asking because I've had clients complain.  It must be their viewer app is showing black so they think it isn't transparent, even though it is.  It happens often enough that it's tedious time-consuming to have to re-save them in order to get a white thumbnail.  Any suggestions appreciated!  Thank you for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which app you are using to view PNG files? I can suggest you to view files in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Bojan.  My viewing the files isn't the problem, it's that my client sees the black thumbnails and thinks something is wrong, so I have open up those PNGs in Photoshop and again Save As and replace the file.  There must be a reason why sometimes the thumbnails look black instead of white, but I'm saving the same way for all files.  I'm just hoping there's a reason, other than just bugginess, so I can save time in the future. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a File Handling tab within the Photoshop Preferences that contains a File Saving Options section. This contains limited options for Image Previews and Thumbnail that may prove useful.

Have you tried resetting the Preferences? Within the General tab of the Photoshop Preferences is the Reset Preferences On Quit button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines