• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor GPU performance

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only been using Photoshop a few weeks, and have become aware that it runs significantly slower on my newer computer than it does on my older (6 years old) computer.  

Operations are chunky and slow, such as resizing my brush (Alt+Rt-click); I have to move my mouse very slowly to not overshoot the size I want.  Same with zooming the image in & out, it's very chunky.   But on my much older computer, these operations are quite smooth.
My new computer is an Alienware laptop, x15R1.  Specs:

• Windows 11 Home
  • Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
  • Installed Physical Memory (RAM)             32.0 GB
  • nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop, 8GB GDDR6
  • Monitors: Dual Samsung LU28R55 4K UHD
  • Latest nVidia drivers, latest Windows updates

I've found that if I turn off GPU acceleration, Photoshop actually runs more smoothly on this computer, but when I enable GPU acceleration, it's slower.
I have tried the steps on this page: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/set-up-gpu-for-high-performance-in-ph...
No improvement.
I've re-installed Photoshop from scratch, no improvement.
I've turned my memory usage all the way up in Preferences -> Performance, no change.

Can anyone advise please?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Happy to report this seems fixed!
Disabling my Intel graphics chip was not something my computer liked at all, and I ended up having to turn it back on.  However, in Device Manager, I noticed something I had forgotten: I had installed something called "SuperDisplay", so I could use my Android tablet as an external display when I travel, and SuperDisplay was listed in the display adapters along with Intel & nVidia.
I disabled the SuperDisplay, and that seems to have been the cause of my grief!
So th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dual graphics? That's always a problem and the main reason PS often performs poorly on laptops. You may need to completely disable the integrated Intel GPU. See section 6 & 7 here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html 

Dual GPUs sounds like a good idea, and it works well for gaming and simpler applications. But content-creating applications like Photoshop use the GPU for actual data processing, and the result returned to Photoshop for further processing. It's not a simple downstream flow. There can only be one GPU in this equation; you can't send data to one GPU and get it back from the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to report this seems fixed!
Disabling my Intel graphics chip was not something my computer liked at all, and I ended up having to turn it back on.  However, in Device Manager, I noticed something I had forgotten: I had installed something called "SuperDisplay", so I could use my Android tablet as an external display when I travel, and SuperDisplay was listed in the display adapters along with Intel & nVidia.
I disabled the SuperDisplay, and that seems to have been the cause of my grief!
So thank you, very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines