• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pop up when using Photoshop with a Wacom tablet

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a Dutch television show, we are using the Wacom Cintiq 16 tablet together with Photoshop, so our guests can illustrate a graphic of draw on a photo. Most of the times this works properly together with the Wacom Pen. But sometimes there is a pop up saying: Can't use the move tool because the layer is locked. Does anyone know how this happens and how to make it stop? It only happens when one of our guests use it. I have tried to trigger the pop up many times but it did not show up. We don't want that pop up during our TV show ofcourse 😉

(Attached file is in Dutch)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so im guessing you are giving them the tablet, and choosing them a paint brush and picking a colour etc, and then hoping they can just draw away on top of an image you previsouly opened....

the message is basically popping up because the user is triggering the selection of the 'move' tool (which will swap away from the brush tool you probably want them to have) and photoshop thinks you want to 'move' something instead of draw.

The move tool is then selected and them clicking or pressing is telling photoshop you want to move whatever they are clickgin on (i guess the photo underneath) so the layer that is on is preusmably the 1st / background layer which is always 'locked' by default - hence the 'layer is locked' message.

so you need to do 1 of a few things..

presuming you dont actually want the user to 'move' something on the design on screen then you need to ascertain why the move tool is being selected. most likely this is due to a button on the wacom pen, or the tip itself being assigned to 'move' or to 'select' or to a keystroke shortcut that executes the command to select the 'move tool'. the 'v' key selects teh move tool normally

so go to wacom prefernces for your tablet and pen and turn off the 'buttons' on the side of the pen, and disable all the buttons on the tablet so no accidentaly taps occur. disable any slider bars, touch wheels, or 'touch'  gestures etc that it may support too if you only want them to have a dumb paintbrush they cant mess up with.

If it turns out that you actuallt DO want them to use the move tool i.e. to move an existing drawn element around on the design, then you need to ensure that a layer other than background is selected, this needs to be the layer you want to move things around on. they would still need to be careful that they dont click anywhere other than the contents of that layer though, as clciking somewhere else would both select another layer and try to move it. unlocking the background layer could help with this, but i'm guessing this isn't what you want anyway so wont go further with these options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the reply. Our guests are just doing a dumb paintbrush with the pencil so we dont want them to be able to move any object. All the buttons on the Wacom Pen are locked on Undo so when one of our guests makes a mistake, he can Undo it himself. The tablet itself has no physical buttons except the on/off and the tablet does not respond to fingers on the touchscreen. 

It does indeed feel like our guest triggers the move tool, but we cant figure out how. When a pencil is used, you see the circle on the screen and somehow it sometimes jumps to the cursor and thats the point where it switches. This is after a short pause but sometimes while drawing.

I will give your answers a shot, but most things are stuff I already tried, thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok given that you are a TV show and presumably have some budget, is it worth just buying an ipad Pro, and a copy of procreate? you're only looking at about £700 for a large ipad pro and a pencil once you claim the VAT back. your only worry then is to keep them charged up, and turn off notifications. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

have you checked there are no 'gestures' assigned to the tablet too? like a certain shape drawn, something like a left V shape can trigger undo for example.

also check on your computer system. if you are on windows ive always had to turn off some settings for touch input, so that Windows recognises the wacom tablet as a mouse rather than thinking it is a touch screen, as that adds weird 'touch' input rings whenever you click too, which is super annyong but also makes it behave differently. Google for wacom, windows, touch inputs, mouse clicks, rings and see what you find, sorry it's a while since i had to fix that on my pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines