• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prefer Photoshop 6

Participant ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't go back to my own personal Photoshop 6 and still use current operating system, use a new computer or to connect to the web, so I went ahead and subscribed. I really don't like the experience so far. Way too many dialog boxes show up. A few key stroke shortcuts were changed like lasso, command "F", smudge etc. for seemingly no reason, transform went wonky, brushes changed in ways I still have yet to figure out, oil paint was hidden, refine edge became needlessly complex and pink lines around everything were annoying. I slowly learned how to shut the distracting stuff off, got back legacy shortcuts. My problem was that I used Photoshop 6 for 20 years. That's a lot of muscle memory. Now, it seems things still annoy if, God forbid, I close Photoshop, even with my workspace saved, I still manage to forget something and it reverts back to confusing like the annoying intro page instead of just the file opening page of Photoshop. Every time I turn that distracting intro page off, it seems to come back after I close Photoshop and restart. Another thing, if I work for too long , Photoshop starts to get weird with delays and spinning balls, so I close it to trash my preferences upon opening it again and things work until the next time it gets quirky. Each time I have to find my saved workspace so everything doesn't go back to annoying. I wish I could have my own photoshop again and not have to subscribe. The software has done well for me, I just don't trust the changes, and, at least for me, it's buggy. For soemone new to Photoshop, I'm sure it's great. I'm a dinosaur, so it makes me feel extinct.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept a copy of my Photoshop 6 when I signed for the Adobe Photo 1 week trial subscription last year.

It didn't take two days for me to decide there was no going back.  Even some of the simple tools work better and the additions since PS 6 are a photographer's dream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no doubt. I'm an illustrator who used to paint, so I just paint with Photoshop and use some of its tricks. I do like things like layer styles, liqify and many of the filters work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems your referring to Photoshop CS6 instead of Photoshop 6?

I ask because you mention oil paint, refine edge and the fact that photoshop 6 on the mac side last ran on

Mac OS 9 circa 2001. The mac operating system before OS X.

You can get the old Refine Edge by pressing the Shift key while going to Select>Select and Mask

The pink lines are most likely Smart Guides, which photoshop CS6 had as well, but they may not

have been on as a default setting.

You can check and see by going to View>Show and unchecking Smart Guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually figured that stuff out. My main problem now is that even with saving my workspace, it seems some of the annoyances creep back in, and I can't figure out why. The spinning ball after about 20 hours is what is really getting to me lately. It may  just be becasue a need a new system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it was CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A contributing factor could also be that 22.2 had bugs that were later fixed in point releases.

The last updates to Photoshop 2021 or photoshop version 22.2 brought the version up to 22.5.9

It would be interesting to see if the 22.5.9 update makes any difference, but unfortunatly Adobe

doesn't make available the updates to any photoshop versions older than one version back from the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'll have to move up to the latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mark Fredrickson the latest requires Big Sur or later FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm old and resist change, but it's my livelihood, so I guess i have no choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creí que había publicado unas reflexiones en este hilo. El caso es que no la encuentro. ¿Fue eliminada?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found them. Very thoughtful and insightful. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't like the experience so far. Way too many dialog boxes show up. A few key stroke shortcuts were changed like lasso, command "F", smudge etc. for seemingly no reason

By @Mark Fredrickson

I just wanted to address some of these things, including the part about “change for the sake of change is not always desirable, and maybe don't fix something that aint broke.” This is a common reaction, and what I’m going to say is not directed at you personally, but just at that sentiment.

The statement assumes that the changes were done just to change stuff, and that things were not broken. Both assumptions are not true, and if that assumption is adjusted, then things make a lot more sense. A lot of things were broken, and they got more and more broken as both macOS hardware and software, and the entire world of image editing, advanced rapidly. Some things had to change due to other real improvements. Some features got changed because they became less important as others became more important, and sometimes the newly more important things (for most people) deserved to take over some of the finite number of shortcuts.

I’m not saying all of the changes were good. But a lot of them were justified or necessary, and over time you might find that things actually work better.

I understand everything about habits and muscle memory etc.; I’m not saying this as some 12-year-old. I’ve been using Photoshop for over 30 years, and I do think it’s been very rewarding to continually retrain, adapt, and build new skills (not just with Photoshop with all of life), instead of expecting do the same thing I was doing in the 1990s when I started using Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. I just have to adapt. Probably good for my 65 year old brain. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will be suprised how fast you will adapt and it will become second nature! There is always a learning curve, but stick with it and it will be worth it. My workflow changed dramatically with the introduction of Camera Raw, and now I can't think about doing photoshop without it. Just the DeHaze filter alone (in Camera Raw) made it worth it!

(And 65 is young!)

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines