• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preset sync crashes all the time (FIXED)

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I went for the Present Sync option but after a short while I had a memory issue on my MacPro: PS was using a lot of it. After a while the machine was not responding at all. When I tried to disable the option a message said the sync was still in progress while trying to quit PS would say that I had to wait until the sync was completed. This lasted the night then the app crashed.

In other words it seems I'm unable to get out of it!

I repeated the process on my laptop with the same results, even deleting the settings.

Any similar issues/solutions? thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Hello,

Just to be sure, here is what it looked like on my configuration. Just transpose the folders structure to MacOS' one. To me, there's is no reason that it could work on some Macs but not others. Especially if it works on Windows too.

yKwt8Is5KA.png

If you want to try my second fix, I would recommend to reset PS Preferences before renaming your computer (can you even do that on MacOS ?). In my case, I was on fresh Windows installation, so I don't know if it work on an already messed up PS because of Pres

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the June release of Photoshop 22.4.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 22.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue since I activated yesterday the preset sync option. I tryed to disable - but I couldn't. My Macbook pro is only running hot. The only oprotunity to quit Photopshop is by Apple Finder option (force quit) . Also I get error message, libary sync error. I tryed sign-in sign out, quit cloud app, I deleted the settings - nothing changed.

How stopping it? Any ideas, thanks for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the Adobe support team working on my computer (one of the coputers) a full afternoon but they were unable to find a cause/solution. I'm still waiting.

What I did to keep working (since PS had boceme slow and unresponsive) has been going back to the previous version with Time Machine and it is working fine.

I I try to update again the problem is there again. I guess they have to find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the same issues, a year and a half later after this post was created...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Same issue for me on Windows. It seems there is a major memory leak. And it's indeed a loop :

- Preset syncing activated = PS always says it will close after preset syncing but the sync never ends and memory consumption increases until the computer crashes (force quit before it happens is preferable...).

- Trying to uncheck Preset Syncing in Preferences = Yes/No/Cancel prompt for keeping/not keeping Presets on Creative Cloud but all choices (except Cancel ofc) lead to the same memory issue, without actually removes the Preset Syncing option...

- Reset preferences does not remove Preset Syncing.

- Reinstalling PS does not remove Preset Syncing.

So what do we do now ? The only way to use this version of PS, when the issue occurs for the first time, is to force quit PS via Task Manager/Apple Finder every time we want to exit the app. 

Please, Adobe, find us a fix or allow us to remove Preset Syncing without making Photoshop doing some dirty work in background that causes this explosion of RAM. My network isn't even used during this time (0.00MB/Sec) even though it's supposed to be a cloud sync. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I uninstalled PS 22.2 and installed 22.1 and it seems to be working much better. At least it's usable and I can close it without having to force quit on my Macbook. Until they figure it out and send an update, seems the most reasonable solution.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue since yesterday. I chose the preset sync option and now I can't close out of Photoshop without force quit and within Photoshop it's buggy too. The app has crashed several times and forced my new macbook pro to crash as well. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps. Like another user who posted on this issue, I also tried unsuccessfully to reset preferences but it does not remove Preset Syncing. I tried reinstalling PS but that doesn't remove Preset Syncing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I am facing the same issue since yesterday. Launching Photoshop 22.2 uses 99%  RAM and after 2 minutes my whole system was crashing. I was not able to edit the checkbox to remove the checkmark for syncing in the settings so I deinstalled PS and installed the Version 22.1.1. Now PS is working again.

My system: MacBookPro running Windows10, 16GB RAM

Sync-your-presets-preferences.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

First solution (verified)

Thanks to Peter-B who shared a solution provided by a Adobe employee in another thread, here's the first fix (works for both Windows and MacOS) :

• Close Photoshop
  • Create a text file an save this as PSUserConfig.txt
  • Add 'PresetSync 0' to PSUserConfig.txt and save the file. 
  • Move PSUserConfig.txt to the Photoshop Settings 2021 folder.
  • For MacOS : Open the finder and go by the menu to go/go to folder and type:  ~/library/Preferences/ --> There you will see the folder Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings.
  • For Windows : go to Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop [version]\Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings
  • Open the Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings folder and place there the PSUserConfig.txt file.
  • If the PSUserConfig.txt already exists, copy the file to a safe place, then place the new. The PSUserConfig.txt file with the PresetSync 0 rule, will force preset sync OFF.
  • Restart Photoshop. After restarting Photoshop, it should be possible to work with Ps 22.2.

Second solution (to be tested)

If, like me, you worry about the long-term fix and what causes the issue, I think I found it out. I reinstalled Windows two days ago. After reinstalling Windows, the memory leak caused by Preset Syncing option was gone. Today, I renamed my PC in Windows settings with the name I'm used to keep onto my succesive computers (and the name my computer had before reinstalling the OS). After restart, boom, the Preset Syncing option was back, as well as its memory leak. Ultimately, it seems that the option is tied to the computer's name. Changing back my computer's name to anything else caused the Preset Syncing option to be unchecked. 

Thus, I would advise to try renaming your computer to see if the option is gone at PS launch. It may be preventing eventual future bugs with the Preset Syncing option forced to off via the first solution, as with this solution you simply simulate a new computer towards Creative Cloud. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Works for me too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First solution  work for me!

Thanks!

Save my life!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First solution worked for me. Thanks for sharing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too, thanks !!!

kind regards,

Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So great, thanks so much, where wasting hours before i found your article. I had just on my MAC the Problem, not on my Windows PC so it was even more confusing - same Version, different Problem by same issue, thanks 😊 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! After 3 un- and reinstalls I was starting to despair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this!

Problem still present at version 22.3 though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, true! And we againg have to add this txt file to be able to use this buggy Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this on a Mac on the latest Photoshop version (22.3) and it doesn't work. The only solution I found was to reinstall the 22.1 version which does not have this stupid preset sync feature which drains all the RAM and messes the whole computer up! WTF IS ADOBE DOING? How can you guys release a new version and still not fix this kind of stupid bug?! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did work for me on 22.3 but I am on OSX Catalina 10.15.7 though...

But I agree that this is anoying indeed, still not as horrible as the liquify artifacts they did not fix for a very very long time..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try solution 1 of Little World of Photo. It has worked for me with version 22.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already tried it but it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines