• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print Presets Won't Save on Mac in Photoshop or Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem for a few months. I am using Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1 and Photoshop 2023 or Lightroom Classic. I have long used presets but now, after I save one, when I come back to it the next time, the saved preset does not retain any of the settings. I tried uninstalling Photoshop 2023, rebooting, then re-install Photoshop 2023. The presets still don't retain settings.

I've also tried deleting my P5000 printer from the system settings, and then re-installing my Epson driver. Again, doesn't fix the problem.

I also tried printing from Safari and made a preset in Safari and this one does work as it is supposed to. If I then switch back to Photoshop, the preset created while in Safari works properly in Photoshop. I tried one more time to create a preset while in Photoshop, but it still will not work.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Hi @evanNow hold the space bar down when going to File/Print - that will reset just the print dialog box instead of the entire program, does this solve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert Thanks for the reply. This worked! I have saved a couple of presets from Photoshop after doing this and it worked. I was losing hope so thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have setup a new M2 Studio Mac. I print directly from InDesign and have exactly the same issue! My old iMac had no such problem for 10 years! None of the printer presets hold any recollection at all, and they are reset to the same default. I saved presets for Canvas and Matte Photo paper. If I select my presets for my paper type it automatically defaults to Lustre Paper! Tried everything from reinstalling drivers and InDesign. I have also tried making presets from Photoshop and same same! The only way I'm able to print is to just leave it on default and manually check each time for the paper profile. If not my Color profile and paper type distorts the colours badly! Very annoying. Tried calling Adobe, Apple and Epson and not one person has any clue. Wasted two weeks and many sheets making colour profiles. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue! I will try resetting the printing system, or holding the space bar, if that actually works next time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem: try Epson Print Layout. Excellent driver/app with PS and LR plug-ins. No more problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will try it out to see if it works. My printer is an Epson SC P8070 and I generally like to print from InDesign because that's how I layout my photos. I have never had any issues before. I would probably have to export everything as PDFs to use that, which is more time wasted. With InDesign I can drop and change photos on the fly to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm tetsing the Epson Print Layout now and it does let you load up an exported JPG from InDesign. Which is ok and you can save the presets in Epson Layout. It does let you use a color profile which is all good.

You can't change the print density, or DPI however that I can see.

The only problem with printing from InDesign is it's not letting me save the paper type preset! It does, but always reverts to Lustre Paper as a default if you use the preset! The only way around this is not to save a preset. Very annoying. 

I haven't tried to print the file from Epson Print Layout yet so can't comment on the print quality, or color accuracy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print density is a function of the pixel count and image size. You can use PS or a plug in to resize the image at whatever image size and PPI you want. Import to EPL and print the image at the same size and you will see the PPI appear in the menu as you resized it. Make the image smaller and the PPI goes up and vice versa. The nice thing about this driver is that it links the paper presets to the right paper profile, so no mistakes made (like I’ve done a hundred times). The EPL manual is very good on all of the specifics. For photographers, a much better thought out application than Adobe’s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That said, the only issue I’ve found is that when you customize the paper setting that requires a certain percentage decrease in color density, the profiles and adobe’s driver is in percentages while the EPL scale is a numeric scale. I just approximate the number based on the range of the scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll try to print and compare. The Adobe print preset is all over the place. I can't save the preset as it keeps reverting back! Have to check every print setting. Before it was very quick. I didn't even need to look. Just print!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fotomarc "The Adobe print preset is all over the place"

Jus
FYI - there is no 'Adobe Print preset', those presets are saved within the printer driver, that’s the software supplied by the printer manufacturer. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Epson Print Layout again. It does print fine, but I don’t like the way it changes the dimensions of your final print! It puts borders around your border! Altering the size!

As for my preset issue, which was changing the color of my print. 

I have wasted a lot of test prints to find the answer to my problem. 

First of all when I print through any Adobe App the print dialogue box doesn’t let me save a preset that works.

It switches back to the default of Lustre Paper! When that happens the color mode activates when it should be off, since I’m using my own profile!

Finally my color is as it should be. But I have to check the paper type and color mode every time because the preset only saves in the App. Which is useless! I would need a preset for every paper size!

Calling Epson support I was told they tested it and couldn’t find the same problem with saving a preset! Did they test it on a Mac Studio M2? No!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fotomarc I think this is a macOS Ventura issue. Saving presets inside the Epson driver seems to be an issue. 

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also happens on OS Sonoma beta! I have contacted Adobe, Apple and Epson who all deny there is an issue with their software! Adobe acknowledged it was happening, after screen sharing and blamed Epson. Epson passed the blame to Apple! I have also sent feedback to Apple. Not much help! The best thing you can do is don't save a print preset, or you will have print problems!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really ridiculous, I think it all boils down to Epson/Apple pointing fingers at each other while the bystandering Adobe and its users suffer. Clearly Apple's the biggest culprit since it did something under the hood for its new masOS's. Epson's not innocent since it had time to adapt to Apple's print driver developing guidelines since Beta release. I really hope that both of those companies do put on big boys pants and appoint reps to get together to figure this issue out, rather than blatantly say to its customers "not my problem"

-//side note//-

This kind of going back and forth has been going going on since, as far as I can tell, Big Sur

I had my printer profile disappear after an update, deleted and reinstalled printer at the spot (printing ID photo), found this article(linked above), was fine for some time and then at one point along came one OS minor update that obliterated this fix. 

-//end side note//-

-//presonal note//-

My M1 Mac mini didn't have any trouble before Ventura (it's been downgraded and remaining still on Monterey).

My stupid M2 Pro Mac mini is %%%%%%% stuck on Ventura even if I wanted to go back to Monterey. I moved to Sonoma thinking I've got nothing to loose. But the printer preset problem is still there so I'm eternally %%%%%% until the said companies come to senses.

-//end personal note//-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a risk and updated to Sonoma last week. You can no longer save a preset in InDesign! The good news is that it does remember what settings you have used. I have to check each time to make sure no color Manangement is active in the print module! I haven't checked this in photoshop. I will have a look later. At least Apple, or Adobe has fixed something after I complained so many times. Epson denied there even was an issue. Brian if you are reading this, you are an idiot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, not for me, it kinda worked in Ventura after a couple minor updates but it reverted to auto settings once I updated to Sonoma and I have to go select tray and paper type each time I print, which is a royal pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using to print from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M2 pro Mac mini with Epson l8180 printer

I moved my m1 Mac mini to my home and m2 pro Mac mini is in my studio. I needed 32gb ram for LRc/PS work flow as I was going over 16gb ram usage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a MacStudio, printing to a Epson large format SC8000 series. I meant to say, which application are you having issues with? I'm printing mainly through InDesign. Last week it was working fine with the Sonoma update. Like I mentioned earlier in the print module, they have removed save preset. But it did remember what I used last in the same file, which is a plus. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR classic mainly and sometimes PS

it's OS/driver level selection so Adobe applications are just riding along. When they work nice they work nice when they don't it's s$$$$$ experience that goes nowhere in terms of support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been facing this issue for quite a while now, and ever since the macOS version after Monterey, I haven't been able to save preset data correctly. I contacted Apple twice about it, but with no success. When printing regular documents, such as Pages or Numbers, the data is saved correctly. However, in Photoshop, I've consistently been unable to save the data. I recall this issue arising when the system settings interface changed to a design similar to that of the iPad. Surprisingly, even with numerous upgrades to Photoshop, the problem persists. It seems like Adobe, being such a large company, might not prioritize output files. It's quite laughable that such a big company hasn't resolved this issue in over a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best thing to do is not save a preset and see if your settings remain the same. It seems to work for me. But it does revert back to default settings every so often. I need to check every time I print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an Epson printer. Would strongly suggest Epsona Print Layout.  Excellent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Epson print layout isn't good if you want to print an exact size and many different images. Tried it with issues with margins. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I think this is an Adobe issue. I have M2 Mac running Sonoma and the latest version of PS and LR and I am seeing the same issues using a Canon Pro 1000!. Like everyone else, suffering wasted prints. Hoping someone from Adobe can take a deep dive and come up with a fix in the next version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brendan D Rowlands The print preset is saved by the Printer manufacturer's driver software, not Photoshop etc. how this saving fails in some apps but not others is a mystery. It does seem to be a MacOS issue.

There's a workaround - go to print from the Apple Preview app. save a setting there, apparently, I have been assured, that preset will stick and be usable in Photoshop etc.

I hope this helps
Help others by clicking "Correct Answer" if the question is answered.
Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines