• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing in photoshop CS5 problem

New Here ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IN photoshop CS5 when you select to print 8 copies of an image only one comes out of the printer...

worked fine with cs3 cs4

any input?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Well, nobody reported these print problems until CS5 had been out a few weeks.

We're looking into it, and have identified some of the underlying problems (older printer drivers not working with the Vista/Win7 printing system).

It may be a while before we (and Microsoft) can come up with a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 118 Replies 118
Contributor ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as OP.

Using PS CS5 on Windows XP SP3 and try to print 3 copies to a Canon Pixma MP110 (latest drivers installed). Only one copy comes out.

Change the amount of copies in the Print Dialog to 1 (one) and it gives me 3 copies. So the total amount is correct, and PS seems to remeber this amount.

However, if I change the amount of copies in the Printer Dialog itself (Print Settings), it is reflected in Photoshop's Print Dialog and all is working like it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a bug with some printer drivers.

We're investigating the problem with both Microsoft and the printer vendors, and are hoping to have a solution soon.

For now, going into Print Settings and changing the number of copies in there is the workaround if you have one of the printer drivers which exhibits the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have talked with Dell, Microsoft, and Epson, and none of them have indicated that this was a major problem..Epson said it was probably my USB cord or the Window 7 spool driver]  I changed the USB cord  and told Microsoft what Epson said, they to control and for over an hour tried to do something, NO RESULTS. this was on Aug13th, then about an hour later I received a tel call from a person that I assumed was the lead man. He told me that he would e-mail what I could do either the following day or in 2 days. and would follow up with a call to me on Monday yesterday I did not get any e-mail nor a call. I hope your investigatio with the OEM does some good.  Photoshop CS5 printing is a 45 minute ordeal, with the many printing steps I take. Again thank you  Richard Betchley 

Yes, this is a bug with some printer drivers.

We're investigating the problem with both Microsoft and the printer vendors, and are hoping to have a solution soon.

For now, going into Print Settings and changing the number of copies in there is the workaround if you have one of the printer drivers which exhibits the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I think all of us owe you a great big  "THANK YOU" for investigating this problem with both Microsoft and the printer vendors. It can't be soon enough..I have called all the companies, Microsoft , Dell , Epson , Photoshop CS5 without any success. None of these vendors have ever mentioned that this problem is so widespread. My prayers and hope are with you and your 'committee' if there is one.Please keep us posted.. Again, Thank you...Richard Betchley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2010 Sep 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has it been fixed? That would depend on which printer and driver you are using. Sorry to point the finger here, but there's really not much we can do on our end except remove the Copies field from our dialog entirely (which we'd rather not do).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nevermind.... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had fits with the Photoshop print dialog in Windows for a long time. (this version on Mac seems to work for me) I think it got  broken for me in about CS1 or 2. I even spoke with Dave at Photoshop World in Orlando about it a couple of years ago. I was eagerly waiting for it to get  fixed in CS5. Alas, I have many more problems than I ever had before.

Today it was doing something stupid and repeatable, so I did a camforge capture.

Watch this  video and tell me what you think is happening here?
Photoshop Print Dialog still broken

It forgets the settings, so I go to set them, then it tells me that is an invalid printer, then I have to select a different printer, and then back to the the Epson, after that it allows me to set the settings, I have to set almost every setting including the color profile for the paper, then print. Won't print 2.

It doesn't remember any setting from photo to photo, and doesn't even  remember that the printer is attached.  I have to check every setting  and  set the color profile every single print. Getting very old. It also  will not print more than one print at a time, so when I have to print 2  prints, I have to go through this twice on every print. I just got  through printing two prints of 10 different photos and it took more than  an hour. This is messed up.

Making the Epson R1900 the default printer doesn't help, it is.

Thanks,

Kirk

My system:

XP Pro SP3 4 gig RAM

Epson R1900 Driver version 6.61

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kirk, sorry to hear about your continuing problems, and yes, I remember you from PSWorld Orlando.

The settings are saved in two ways by Photoshop. First, they are saved with the document, and then they are saved in the application preferences.

What this means is that the settings will not be saved from photo to photo if you have previously printed the second photo. The saved settings from the photo will be used instead. If for some reason there is a problem trying to read the print settings from the document, or they don't exist, the settings from the application preferences are used. And if there are no print settings saved in the application preferences, the defaults from the OS are used.

But the behavior you show with the Epson driver in CS5 is clearly broken. I've got an R1900 that I just brought to my office from our print lab, and connected to my XP machine (32-bit XP SP3, 3.5G of RAM) and I don't see anything like that kind of problem here.

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the Epson driver? The fact that clicking the orientation buttons doesn't change the orientation of the paper in your video suggests to me that something's going wrong when we try to tell the driver about the changed orientation, which is one of the easiest possible things to do. If that's failing, there's something funky going on with either the driver or the printing system.

Once that's failed, I suspect you're falling back to the print settings from the application preferences, which may also have problems. To make sure that isn't the case, after reinstalling the printer driver launch Photoshop with the control-alt-shift keys held down and delete the photoshop preferences. Create a new document (so it gets the print settings from the OS defaults) and try printing that (I generally just paint a big X on the page so there's something there, but so I don't use much ink). If that works correctly, try your existing documents.

If the new document prints correctly, but your saved documents do not, the problem is with the print settings data stored within the saved documents. The solution to this is to open the saved document, select all, copy, and then paste everything into a new document. This does not transfer the print settings from the document.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2010 Oct 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Thanks. I had installed the newest driver,  but I had not completely uninstalled the old one first. I did that today  and so far so good. It is weird that Photoshop didn't have any problem  with the other printers and no other program had a problem with that  driver except for Photoshop. I haven't seen any odd behavior yet, but   will watch it.  I haven't tried printing several photos in a row with  automation, which I could not do at all in CS4 without the script that I  downloaded from Adobe. Hope that  is fixed now.

Thanks again,

Kirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kirk,

We tend to use more parts of the driver than most other applications, which means things tend to be a little more fragile. There's a reason they call it "the cutting edge" and I've got the stitches to prove it. But not completely uninstalling the old driver tends to leave things broken in ways that Photoshop will trip over.

For automation, in CS5, you should also be able to create a printing action. Start recording a new action, bring up the print dialog, and stop recording when the paper comes out. That's is reasonably good shape as long as you are:

a) always printing to the same printer (you'll need a different action for every printer)

b) printing the same size images (so the scaling and positioning aren't changing)

I'd like to get some scripts put together to show how to handle printing different-sized images to the same printer (combined with an action), but there always seems to be something higher priority to work on.

Glad to hear you've got things working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way that I can print to my Dell 3130cn laser is if I first save my file as a PDF and then print it like that.  If I go directly from PS5 to the Dell, a single file can take up to 4 minutes to begin printing.  This does not occur with my Canon Pro9000.  Yes, my print drivers are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bribentyl, this thread was about the number of copies problem.

If you're looking for help for your problem, you'll probably do better to start a new thread about your problem, rather than repeatedly trying to hijack this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, as an employee I would expect a more courteous reply.  I paid good money for this product and this thread is titled "Printing in Photoshop CS5 problem."  Rather than dismissing this problem as something that doesn't fit your own personal requirements for thread etiquette, perhaps you can ask your engineers to look at a possible correlation between this printing problem and the others that you deem acceptable to speak of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bribentyl, sometimes people use blunt or direct wording on this forum.  I'm sure Dave didn't mean to be discourteous, and he's right, starting a new thread might net you some additional help from other users.

You should understand that this is a user-user forum, and it's by the goodness of their hearts that some of the Adobe Engineers duck in here from time to time to see what's up.  They may not be customer support people, and it is uncommon to say the least to be able to have a direct line to the people who work on the innards of a product.  It takes different things to be good at customer support than to be good at Engineering, and I know of no other big company that allows its Engineers to go anywhere near their customers, so please consider allowing some slack.  A complaint might mean that Adobe would pull back their Engineers, and that would be bad.

Start that new thread.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2010 Oct 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still knackered here, with a Kyocera 250 colour laser using latest drivers on Windows 7 x64.

If the print system in Win7 is crap and CS4 didnt use it, why not use the old WinXP one that works fine till Microsoft fix the issue?

R         

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2010 Oct 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RikkiBAP, the problem for the number of copies isn't particularly the Win7 print system (actually introduced in Vista). It's that some printer drivers don't seem to notice changes made to the information (such as number of copies) unless their user interface is shown.

This same problem would happen with these drivers on any OS. It's just that we added the copies field to our dialog and didn't get that change run past all the various players in time.

You should be able to change the number of copies in the printer drivers UI (behind the "Print Settings" button), it's just that it's sometimes hard to find. That's why we tried to make it available in our dialog in a standard place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using vista and CS5 and have the same problem. If I open a document and set it to print 10 copies, it prints one. I have to save it, close it and reopen it for it to print the save number of copies!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2010 Oct 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a minute to poke at printing from PS-CS5 as I've noticed too that when I choose to print multiple copies it doesn't. But sometimes it does. So I did a quick test with some white text on a white background that printed quickly and did not waste any trees. Here's what I found:

Launch PS-CS5 (64)

1) Open 8.5 x11 document (white text on white paper for testing)

2) Select Print ->  Select 3 Copies -> Print

Result = Prints 1 copies

3) Select Print ->  Select 2 Copies -> Print

Result = Prints 3 copies

4) Select Print ->  Select 1 Copies -> Done (closes dialogue)
    Select Print again ->  Leave 1 Copy selected -> Print

Result = Prints 1 copy

5) Select Print ->  Select 3 Copies -> Done (closes dialogue)
    Select Print again ->  Leave 3 Copy selected -> Print

Result = Prints 3 copies

Launch PS-CS5 (32) to see if this might behave differently with 32 bit PS

6) Select Print ->  Select 3 Copies -> Print

Result = Prints 1 copy

7) Select Print ->  Select 2 Copies -> Done (closes dialogue)
    Select Print again ->  Leave 2 Copy selected -> Print

Result = Prints 2 copies

So it seems that whatever print code is applied when pressing the 'Done' button is not being applied when pressing the 'Print' button. But it does get applied after the print instruction is sent so that the next time you open the print dialogue the previous setting is what's in effect. It ends up being:

Launch Print /set 2 -> Print -> Prints 1, closes Print dialogue and sets # of copies to 2

Launch Print /set 5 -> Print -> Prints 2, closes Print dialogue and sets # of copies to 5

Launch Print /set 1 -> Print -> Prints 5, closes Print dialogue and sets # of copies to 1

BUT, if I press 'Done' after setting the # of copies it's then recorded and the next time I launch the print dialogue it is what will be in effect.

So if I want to print 7 copies I need to:

Launch Print /set 7 -> press Done

Launch Print -> press Print and it prints 7 copies

I don't think this is an appropriate way for a print dialogue to behave.

Why none of my other applications behave this way is a mystery.

Russell

Vista 64 Ultimate SP2
i7 960 processor
24 GB RAM
Photoshop CS5
Epson R280 with last driver update (v6.51)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Russell,

Yes, there is a known problem with the number of copies on Windows. Some printer drivers notice when we change that number, and others do not.

Note that if you change the number of copies in our dialog and click "Print Settings", some drivers will notice the change at that point (and again, some will not).

I've been working on a better solution, but it appears that to get this completely working will require changes to printer drivers. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave and Chris,

how could be a driver fault if every other application works fine with the number of copies? Here I have Win XP SP3 so the problem cannot be addresed to the new Vista/7 print system. As I suggested on the other thread I opened, it seems a problem with a variable scope, the number of copies is passed only after the Print Dialog is closed, please, please, please, please, check this. It would be nice to see the source code for the print dialog, I think Adobe have no secret on how they handle the print process, I mean, there aren't software patents or similar stuff on the print process, so make that part of source code visible would permit other programmers to guess what you are missing.

And yes, I have the last update of PS, and the newest driver for my printers (actually I work with two models of Konica Minolta, two of Epson, one of Xerox... all with buggy driver................... but that magically aren't bugged on EVERY OTHER program)

Please, copy the print dialog from one open source program of your choose and place on photoshop, so we are sure that everything will work correctly.

I'm so sorry to be so sarcastic, but I can't figure out how a Software House like Adobe can have such a problem... not with a stupid component used marginally by the suite, but with a core part of it. Really, it would be funny if we user did not pay 1k Euro for a license of the Standalone Version... really.

Here the list of the printers I use:

Konica Minolta 500

Konica Minolta 500 with finisher

Konica Minolta C253

Xerox 6030 (wideformat laser printer)

Epson Stylus Pro 9880 (wide format plotter)

Epson Stylus Photo R285

Will you inform them that they have buggy drivers or should I?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Every other" application doesn't have a "copies" field within the application which sets the value into the data used by the printer driver, but instead requires you to set the number of copies within the OS-supplied or driver-supplied UI. Which you can do in Photoshop within the "Print Settings" dialog, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, OpenOffice, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Autodesk DWG Trueview, Picasa, Adobe Reader, InkScape, and I can continue all the afternoon. All the mentioned programs does not need to open the Printer Preferences dialog to set the number of copies. Yes, they are provided with a common interface (not the autodesk one nor the picasa one nor the Adobe Reader one, that have a customized printer dialog). Anyway, I think you can agree that this problem is unbelivable

Supposing that the common interface work like this:

Common Interface -> set copies -> number of copies is passed to the driver -> the driver takes data to print and send it to the printer X times

we have to suppose that as long as the program with the "common interface" can print, the third party drivers are ok with the data passed by the OS Printer Dialog to the Printer Driver.

Now I suppose you have some sort of API from Microsoft and that API take the same parameters that are available on the previously mentioned "common interface". Ok, if the common interface works, why the API won't? A Microsoft problem? Or some variable to the API is passed on the wrong moment?

It seems that you have, for example, a variable like "copies_to_print" that doesn't get updated when you write a value on it, and the value of the "copies_to_print" variable is the one of the previous print process. This is what it actually seem the problem, because when you open the PS print dialog, put a number on it, close the dialog, reopen it and print, magically the correct amount is printed, so it means that the data IS passed to the API... why only after the print dialog is closed?

On the other hand, if the problem is not on your side, it should be related to the microsoft API. Third part drivers are working... and the "common interface" too.

I apologize to the other user that need to read this technical and hypotetical stuff, I would prefer to address the programmers a mail, but I can't find an email address.

I hope that this post will at least exclude the hypotetical problem reported. It would be a step onward anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I've been working on a better solution, but it appears that to get this  completely working will require changes to printer drivers. Sorry.

Perhaps Adobe is being over-ambitious. I really could care less that an image remembers its previous print settings once it’s closed. Seems that Adobe is been trying to impose a non-standard print workflow with Windows and it doesn’t work.

Perhaps it's time to stop trying to make Windows act like a Mac and start programming the Windows version to act the way Windows apps are supposed to, which is perhaps what most Windows users might prefer?  Just an idea... 

Like others have said already -> there’s no other Windows app that misbehaves the same way when printing. I really don’t think it’s a driver defect issue.

Russell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines