• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PROBLEM WITH NEW PS (24.3.0) versus PS CS5

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi..... whenever I finish preparing a .psd image for printing, I convert it to .jpg before printing, to
flatten it, mostly, and so the image is not so big..

now in PS CS5 I used to do this under SAVE AS, with no problem, and the beauty of it
was, it preserverd the resolution of the .psd i.e., it converted to a .jpg, but the resolution
remained at 300 ppi...

but I can't do this with the new Photoshop.... this is crazy...
now under SAVE AS, there is no option to save either as .jpg or .png.... WHY IS THIS....

under none of the format options available now (Large Document Format, PDF, TIFF) can you now flatten your image and preserve
the resolution of the .psd file.. (if it's converted to PDF, how do I know at what resolution the PDF is, and is it in the same dimensions as the .psd?)

am stumped here.. would appreciate some help/suggestions..  

thank you....

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Long story short: You have to enable the legacy "save as" option. Much has changed in MacOS and Photoshop since CS5.

You can then see jpeg as an option and preserve the print resolution of the PSD file.

Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 11.51.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and under the SAVE AS A COPY option, if you save as .jpg or .png, it cuts the resolution to about half (from 300 ppi to 144 ppi....) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Can you post a screen shot of the dialog box that you are seeing, because something doesn't sound right. If could see your window, the panels that you are using and the jpg dialog box it would help us help you!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi mg, thank you for your response.. it's the simple SAVE AS dialog... 

screenshot attached..  (am also including a screenshot of using SAVE AS A COPY option..  with all the options..

none of them (not even the jpg options (what the heck is "JPEG 2000" and "JPEG stereo"?)) saves keeping the resolution of 300 ppi... I tried stuff like .psb (what's that?), .png..  NONE of them would save keeping the resolution of 300 ppi...

am also including a screenshot of Adobe Bridge, showing my .jpg's at resolution of 300 pppi, which I saved with PS CS5 in my old computer, using simply the SAVE AS dialog...

am truly stumped here..  would appreciate help/suggestions.. (do you by chance have access to PS CS5? you can compare behavior of the SAVE AS dialogs, very different in new PS from CS5...)

I find it truly incredible that now in the new PS under the SAVE AS dialog, there's no .jpg or even .png option...

WHY THE HECK IS THIS....  

thank you very much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it truly incredible that now in the new PS under the SAVE AS dialog, there's no .jpg or even .png option...

WHY THE HECK IS THIS....  

By @maya90

Here's why:

• The jpeg specification does not support 16 bit depth, layers, transparency or alpha channels. Any document with these properties needs to be saved out as a jpeg copy with those properties removed. That has always been the case.
  • Directly saving out a jpeg copy through the Save As dialog was a "hack" that was actually introduced in Photoshop CS5, with some fanfare. Prior to that it was not possible at all (but nobody seems to remember that...)
  • This hack relied on certain OS APIs that happened to be available in both MacOS and Windows.
  • Some years ago Apple pulled the plug on those APIs. They simply removed them. The hack wouldn't work anymore, MacOS didn't allow it.

So then Adobe had to come up with a workaround, first Save A Copy, then "legacy Save As". The latter is not the default because this time, there is a real risk of unintentionally overwriting originals.

The big mistake Adobe did, was to try to sell it as a "feature" instead of what it was, an emergency rescue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long story short: You have to enable the legacy "save as" option. Much has changed in MacOS and Photoshop since CS5.

You can then see jpeg as an option and preserve the print resolution of the PSD file.

Screen Shot 2024-07-01 at 11.51.17 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!  that did it!!  thank you very much...  now I can save my .pds as .jpg's at 300 ppi resolution again..... woo hoo hoo..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

but am wondering why they did this with the SAVE AS option in the new PS...  I mean why they eliminated so many options...  what's the reationale for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines