• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems placing layered photoshop art into Illustrator

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue where I've created a layered photoshop document and saved it as a .psd. I open illustrator and select to Place the photoshop file into the document. As I place the .psd art, only one layer from the photoshop file is showing up versus the full piece of art.

The first image shows my photoshop file with layers, the second photo shows me trying to place it into illustrator. I'm using '20.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is it only this file or all files? Try this:

1. Save and Close your PS file.

2. In Illustrator, choose File > Place and select your image. Uncheck Link, Check Show Import Options. If you don't see them, Options is a toggle to hide/show.
    50.png

3. What do you have in this dialog?
    In the PS Import Options Dialog, choose Convert Layers to Object (or Flatten if that's what you want).
    51.png
  4. If you choose Convert Layers to Objects, each layer will become an object. If you choose flat, it should come in as a single image.
    52.png

Note: this photo is the sample photo that comes with PS for iPad.

Does this help? 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tried what you suggested and it still doesn't work. When I do it that way, no image shows up. I don't know if maybe there's something wrong with my Photoshop/Illustrator? I also have both 2019 and 2020 of both programs on my dock so I wonder if this is causing an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No, it's not the multiple versions. I have four versions of PS on this computer, six on my laptop, and I'm not sure how many on my older computer.

It might be something with the PSD, but I can't think of what. Have you tried it with another layered PSD? If you don't have one, then create something simple with text and paint. Try that and let me know.

Also, since you are on a Mac, you don't have to close the file before placing it.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane is correct.
I am having the same problem. Illustartor is Flattening all the layers. It didn't happen last week. But today yes I have a problem.
When I open the .psd file in Illustrator and I choose "Convert Layers to Objects" it flattens the image.

I had 5 layers on one attempt.

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 12.12.37 PM.png

And Then I even tried using  different groups. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 12.36.19 PM.png

Then I tried it with saving as an .eps file w/5 layers.

Illustrator still flattens the image with the Convert Layers yo Objects option on.

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 1.07.12 PM.png

My Resolution: The only work around I found until Adobe fixes this malfunction in Illustrator is, when saving the file in Photoshop, Use the menu
"File/Export/Layers to File..." option and save the files separately. I know it defeats the purpose. But hopefully they'll be concienctious enough to make the correction.
WHY? What did Adobe do to disable this important function in Illustrator for importing layered .psd files? 
Pls advise us and fix SOOOON.
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open the .psd file in Illustrator

What happens when you choose File > Place instead of Open? Is Link turned on or off? This is a layered PSD from Adobe that I have placed into Illustrator.

Jane

64.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

save it as a regular photoshop document. not a large photoshop document. that did the trick for me. if you can that is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

nevermind idk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines