Exit

Problems with lightroom edits in photoshop

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I hope somebody can help me.

I'm trying to create a collage of photos in Photoshop that I have edited first in Lightroom. Once I have edited my pic in Lightroom, I go to Photo > Edit In > Photoshop, and I select the option to keep Lightroom edits, which sends my edited image to Photoshop. I'm then creating a new blank artboard in Photoshop, so I have the image and a blank artboard open at the same time. Then, when I attempt to copy the image to the artboard (either using the move tool, or simply by copying and pasting), EVERY time my image pastes on to the artboard the lightroom edits are removed and I've got the original (unedited) image pasting across without the edits I've made in Lightroom?! Can anybody help?

Thank you in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Emily,

I'm not sure about your workflow. Why are you creating a new document to paste the Photoshop file into? The new document you create has no connection back to Lightroom. However you say you are not returning to Lightroom, so maybe that doesn't matter.

When the photo opens in Lightroom, do you see the Lightroom edits? Or, to be more clear, does the photo look like you expect it to with the edits you made it Lightroom?

Here's what I think is happening. I think the color space is changing, and t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emilysatlas,

We're really sorry for all the trouble. Could you please let us know the exact version of Lightroom and Photoshop you are using now?

Since, how long you are facing this issue?

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've actually just recently become a member, so it should be the very latest version available for download? I'm using Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018

Thanks

Emily

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and sorry, I have just attempted to do this today, so this is the first time I have encountered this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas anybody...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain your workflow better. How exactly are you creating a “new blank artboard”? Is this a new document, or are you creating an artboard in the image file that you opened from Lightroom? Are you returning to Lightroom during any of the workflow you described in your original post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Firstly, I edit my photo in Lightroom. Then, I go to Photo > Edit In > Photoshop, and I choose the option to keep Lightroom edits. The photo then opens in Photoshop. Then, I create a new blank artboard by going to File > New > New document, within Photoshop, and selecting one of the templates - eg, Web Most Common. Now I have my edited picture and a blank artboard open in Photoshop. I then unlock my edited picture, and copy it by going to Edit > Copy. I paste it into the blank artboard - and voila, it pastes across, but not with my Lightroom edits. I am not returning to Lightroom at any point after exporting my picture from Lightroom to Photoshop. Hope you can help this conundrum! I am new to Photoshop and Lightroom, so I am probably doing something stupid - but I really appreciate the help!

Emily

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emily,

I'm not sure about your workflow. Why are you creating a new document to paste the Photoshop file into? The new document you create has no connection back to Lightroom. However you say you are not returning to Lightroom, so maybe that doesn't matter.

When the photo opens in Lightroom, do you see the Lightroom edits? Or, to be more clear, does the photo look like you expect it to with the edits you made it Lightroom?

Here's what I think is happening. I think the color space is changing, and that is changing the look of your image. It's not really that you are losing the Lightroom edits. By default Lightroom sends images to Photoshop in the ProPhoto color space. When you create a new document with a web template, the new document is created in the sRGB colorspace. When you paste the photo into the new document the colors get shifted. Default color settings have all warnings turned off so you wouldn't know this is happening.

Try this, open your photo in Photoshop, and before you copy it, go to Edit>Covert to Profile and choose the profile starting with sRGB in the name. Now do your copy and paste and see if the colors stay the way you expect them to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theresa, that worked! Thank you so much! I understand what you have said about the different colour spaces... this must have been what was happening.

The reason I'm copy and pasting them into a new document is because I wish to make a collage out of multiple photos I have edited first in Lightroom. Hence the blank document... I am pasting them all into a blank document, arranging them how I want them overlapping/layering etc accordingly, then making the bottom layer transparent, saving it as a PNG and using it as a web image. Does that make sense? I am new to it all so possibly going about this in a long-winded way.

I really appreciate your help, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yay. I’m glad that fixed the problem. Your workflow makes sense. Just remember to convert images to sRGB before pasting them into your new document. You could change the preferences in Lightroom to send image to Photoshop in sRGB, but I don’t recommend that. Only change the Lr preference if you are never going to use a Lightroom to Photoshop workflow for highest quality printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines