• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ps doesn't show thumbnails for saved dds files

Participant ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that I can see for all of my saved dds files and svg files are Ps icons and no meaningful thumbnails like with other files like png's. Is there a reason for this? I would like to see whats inside the file from the thumbnail. 

Thanks for your help!! 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be supported in the Windows os, not Photoshop. The Open/Save dialogs are served up by Windows which would display the thumbnails. You will need a third-party utility to do this. I'd check Google for recommendations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been poking around on google. Installed Nvidia's dds thumbnail viewer and an svg extention of which neither one works. Seems a little strange that this only happens with files that would be opened by Adobe products. PDF's, PSD's, DDS's and SVG(Ai) files. I've read where an app called Adobe Reader may be the answer. Are they talking about Adobe Acrobat Reader. Isn't that another charge to be using that in my account? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Acrobat Reader is a free PDF reader

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/pdf-reader.html   Acrobat DC Pro is the paid version you can ignore for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, but I've only come across one issue. When I try to install the free version of Acrobat reader, I'm told that I have to uninstall my older copy of Adobe Acrobat 8. That program works great for my needs. What I need to know is will this new free version of  acrobat reader give me the same ability to scan documents and have a typewriter function that will let me add notes to scanned documents, then save them? I really don't want to uninstall Acrobat 8 only to find out that Acrobat Reader won't do those things for me. 

kellyy99042662_0-1655610529281.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can comment but you can't scan with Reader, so forget that. Even then I don't see how it would provide the dds thumbnails you want.

Try https://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/projects/sagethumbs/  It's free and provides thumbnail support for over 160 image formats including PSD and DDS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious about this. Sagethumbs does generate a viewable thumbnail, but it doesn't generate a thumbnail that looks anything close to what the document really looks like.  There's nothing from Adobe's end that would be better? I was looking at Adobe reader because I read in a post that it works to generate the correct thumbnails. If this is the best that I can do I can live with it, but it would seem that this only happens with Adobe apps. Ps and Ai are the real culprits.

kellyy99042662_0-1656424068036.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge 12 is the file manager companion app to Ps/Ai and can generate thumbnails, but not at the Explorer/Finder level. It's free and you can get it from the Creative Cloud app.

https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/whats-new.html

I have never tried it with .dds files, but its strengths is "collections" where different files types can be gathered for a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
How to view DDS files so simple Link : https://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/projects/sagethumbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines