PS-Scripts.com temporarily suspended?

Advocate ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've run into this page when trying to visit good old ps-scripts.com:

DB_ 2015-05-18 at 18.48.07.png

Never seen anything similar over the years - has anyone some news about it?

Thanks!

Davide

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

I'm afraid Mike L. Hale passed away September 9, 2014:

In Memory of Michael  Hale -- James A. McAlister Funeral Home, Charleston, SC

In the above page it's written that Mike has been "...a contributor to ADOBE Photoshop and led an international photo scripting forum" so little doubt about his identity.

As many others here, I owe him a lot - really sad news. He'll be missed...

Let's wait for X - I'm sure it is *not* impossible to put together a small group of people willing to maintain (and hopefully

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Hale runs the site and pays the bills there. He has been off the grid since last September. I'll try and get in touch with him or someone in his family this week and see what has happened. I and a couple of others have admin permissions on the site. However, I have no site management skills so my soon be looking for someone in the community who can take over where Mike left off.

-X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has been an invaluable site for so many of us. Hope this gets straighten out, and I hope Mike is okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS-Scripts, Mike, Xbytor and other members have allowed me to push Photoshop far beyond it's traditional capabilities. I know that I'm just brushing the surface of what could be done with the program. It's the incredible abilities of people like Mike and Xbytor that allow the boundaries to keep being pushed to new limits. I hope we have not seen the last of PS-Scripts. If it's a financial issue I for one would be willing to contribute just to get the site back online. Let's not lose this major resource in the scripting community!

Mike, If you are out there, come back to us!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid Mike L. Hale passed away September 9, 2014:

In Memory of Michael  Hale -- James A. McAlister Funeral Home, Charleston, SC

In the above page it's written that Mike has been "...a contributor to ADOBE Photoshop and led an international photo scripting forum" so little doubt about his identity.

As many others here, I owe him a lot - really sad news. He'll be missed...

Let's wait for X - I'm sure it is *not* impossible to put together a small group of people willing to maintain (and hopefully recover) the ps-scripts archive. Please count me in.

D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was afraid that that, Davide, with his sudden absence from everything. So sorry to realize that my suspicions were true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The link has been changed. The new one is: Michael Hale | 2014 | Obituary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh no, So sad!!   I am another person here who learned SO MUCH From the ps-script forums.  It changed my life.  REALLY it did. 

Back in 2002 when I discovered scripting, Xbytor and that forum was THE place to go to share information and learn from each other.   As the site grew, so did my abilities.  I started getting respect from fellow production artists and employer as I was getting Photohsop to do things no one thought possible.  As those artists moved around the planet, I started getting calls from other studios asking for automation help, and this led me to my own small business today.

Thankyou Mike Hale! You helped so many people he helped in so many ways.

I want to help.  Let me know what I can do.  We need to get this back up in some way/shape/form   If for some reason it needs a new domain home,  I know the owner of PhotoshopScripting.com ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad Ā»newsĀ«, Mikeā€™s generous help and advice made the Fora better places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sad for that bad news.

It is right to keep M.Hale's memory for the great generosity towards the community .His skills and his support has been an unevaluable treasure . He did so much for us all . I hope someone will be able to recover and continue all his great work . For my part I can only say: count on me to be an annual subscriber.

Giuliana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sad news indeed!

Mike helped me out a few times a couple of years back. Not only was he extremely patient with my lack of scripting experience, but he went the extra mile to talk me through a number of issues I had via a headset. He seemed a very humble man when we spoke and someone who did what he did for the love of helping others. I'm sure he will be missed greatly, I really hope that all the hard work Mike put into the website can continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iā€™m with you on that. I do hope that the site contents were not deleted along with the account and will be able to be restored. Restoration will be a fitting tribute to Mikeā€™s legacy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

Mike did not leave behind access information to his hosting site's account and I have not been successful at convincing them turn the site back on long enough to get a backup of the site.

I am trying to get in touch with someone in his family to see if he left instructions to handle this situation.

I will let the community know if we are able to make in progress in reviving the site.

In the meantime, there is this:

ps-scripts.com ā€¢ Index page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link Xbytor. I wonder if we could petition the host to allow you access if the members and Mike's family join together? If a certificate is needed by the host to verify Mike's passing, maybe his family would be willing to provide that to them. Surely there has to be some level of understanding and compassion in the company that would lead to Mike's work being reinstated and continued. The loss of a knowledge source such as the removal of PS-Scripts is inconceivable! There has to be a way as long as the data is still intact on the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Xbytor!. Hope you'll be successful getting in touch with Mike's family and reviving the site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's sad news. I hope somehow his legacy can carry forward with the continuing of this site as a way to share his passion and remembrance. So sorry to hear of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 01, 2015 Jun 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike offered me so much help on the scripting forums on this site - all quite recently. He was a genius. I feel like I was reading his posts here just a few weeks ago. Terrible news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

after a long phone call with GoDaddy support last week, I've been told that the entire website content has been permanently deleted by the end of May 2015.

Conversely, the domain ps-scripts.com is still registered to Mike Hale until May 2016.

So, either Mike's relatives (that xbytor is trying to get in touch with) can provide his own personal backups - which would be out-of-date, September 2014 or possibly earlier - so that we can try to restore a functional phpBB forum and database on another domain, or I'm afraid we can visit the archive.org shapshot linked by xbytor in a previous post (up-to-date to May 2015), but only as a reference  - no new posts, no search, no logins, basically the server side doesn't exists on archive.org AFAIK.

Forum moderators and people from Adobe are aware of this and are currently evaluating ways to preserve Mike's legacy.

Davide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Davide!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad news, I hope that all the valuable info can be saved, and hopefully bring back ps-scripts. That is the least we can do for Mike.

Let me know if I can help somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The information is available on Archive.org. If you type in ps-scripts.com, you can select a date and the site pops up and is navigable. Gary Coyne and I tested this the other night at a meeting we were attending. We are also trying to work out something for the Adobe scripts forum to have a reference section or maybe something of github or both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RIP Mike. Your work has truly benefited us all, and you will be greatly missed. I would gladly be willing to help out to preserve Mike's legacy and get something up and running for people to post to again. I'll keep my eyes on this post for details to see when there are any updates, and if there is anything I can do to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The odds are it's gone forever, except archives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davide has been making some headway into downloading the old site to a format that is searchable. He's spent a lot of time on this, and I certainly appreciate his efforts!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a link to a thread on Ps-Scripts.com.  Davide can I give you the link and, hopefully you can find the thread ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines