PS-Scripts.com temporarily suspended?

Advocate ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've run into this page when trying to visit good old ps-scripts.com:

DB_ 2015-05-18 at 18.48.07.png

Never seen anything similar over the years - has anyone some news about it?

Thanks!

Davide

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

I'm afraid Mike L. Hale passed away September 9, 2014:

In Memory of Michael  Hale -- James A. McAlister Funeral Home, Charleston, SC

In the above page it's written that Mike has been "...a contributor to ADOBE Photoshop and led an international photo scripting forum" so little doubt about his identity.

As many others here, I owe him a lot - really sad news. He'll be missed...

Let's wait for X - I'm sure it is *not* impossible to put together a small group of people willing to maintain (and hopefully

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will host the site, if someone wants to help me manage the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is required for managing the forum ? The site is coming back or it's not official ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, what I'm offering, is to host a new PS-scripts related forum on my server. The forum would simply be a forum like all others. Management includes moderating, answering questions, etc. Also, forum admins would have access to make backups of the forum database to third party locations, so if anything were to ever happen the forum would live on. From what I gather most of the old content is gone other than archived sites, but if any bits and pieces of it are retrievable, those willing to help could add it to the forum.

xbytor2, I know you were one of the top contributors on the old site. Is starting a new forum something you'd be on board with? It'd probably be pointless without your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is everyone on board for a new start of a Ps-scripts forum; The Photoshop Scripting Forum ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xbytor2, I know you were one of the top contributors on the old site. Is starting a new forum something you'd be on board with? It'd probably be pointless without your support.

If someone does setup a replacement site, I will join and contribute where I can. What I cannot do is any admin or moderation work.

One thing that might be interesting is to populate the site with good stuff that we can recover from archive.org. Give it it's own subforum maybe called 'Archive' or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started the new forum here:

http://ps-scripts2.com/

It's completely RAW at the moment, but open for registration. Anyone who wants to jump on board as a moderator, let me know, so I can boost your status. Needs the basic forum Hierarchy to get started. I can't remember the structure of the old site.

A new visually appealing theme should be in order as well. I can probably handle that part on my own, but am open for suggestion.

Anyway... Hope to see some of you there.

Long Live The Mike Hale Legacy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be able to help. I was trying to see if Adobe was interested in setting up a sub forum on this site, just for posting short code snippets, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. There has been talk about doing something on Github as well.

As far as the old ps-scripts.com site, that is gone. the site has been deleted and all that's left is what is on archive.org.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps-scripts was a goldmine of code... it's all gone? If so, that would be a catastrophe.. surely it must be backed up somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's backed up on archive.org, but nothing is searchable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very sorry to hear that Mike passed away. I really enjoyed that forum and all the time that he and so many user invested there, and it would be a shame if all that code is lost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to Davide here but these are open questions to everyone:
What is the current status? Did anyone recover the old database? I see that ps-scripts2.com never took off, which indicates that either there isn't a large enough interest in this or people are already hanging around elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, I don't think the database has been recovered. The scripting community is fairly small, so it's difficult to get enough people involved. The new site could still work, but it needs more input: people posting helpful scripts and more exposure for people to find it. I've been very busy lately, so I haven't done anything with the new site. I'll have to see if I can start populating it with some snippets that I've written that have been helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the original forum's DB hasn't been recovered and I'd say it's officially lost forever.

We have the archive.org, unsearchable snapshot. Unless somebody very talented knows a way to seek through it and find a way to rebuild the DB from the snapshot via scripting of some sort, it's gone.

Starting a V2 is a huge amount of work, and it can't be a solo project, so hat off to everybody who tries (I did my own attempts in the past, but as everybody else I've a job and a life that don't allow me too much extra time).

FYI, there's also a new project that has been launched very recently here: ExtendScript · GitHub ​ and looks quite interesting, give it a look.

Davide Barranca

http://htmlpanelsbook.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For new comers who'd like to learn advanced scripting you can use it again:

The ps-scripts.com Forum is Back Online!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines