• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSB saving really slow, semi slow sometimes laggy performance

Participant ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to some issues and just generaly, figuring out I could switch to 2023, I as stated switched to 2023, now the problem is, I changed all the optimisation settings, like not compressing, using GPU, setting up for large files, disable compression etc. I have issues saving as quickly as before. In the previous version I saved in 1 or 2 minutes and currently I seem to be saving in 30 minutes.

I love that many of the memory issues seem to be resolved now I used to have, I do seem to be undergoing issues in different areas switching

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

I will follow up on this thread if necessary, but I sincerly hope this can be kept up, because my PSB files can now reach 140 GB. If in any newer photoshop updates this is reverted, I'm looking into never being able to open these files ever again as it is 3-4x the file size I could open previously, would require 256GB RAM at a minimum, and unless motherboard manufacturers would start properly supporting those ram sizes, with available 64/128GB RAM sticks in DDR4/5 it could become a problem. Alth

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems currently I cannot even save my file, because the filesize Increased out of all proportions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will follow up on this thread if necessary, but I sincerly hope this can be kept up, because my PSB files can now reach 140 GB. If in any newer photoshop updates this is reverted, I'm looking into never being able to open these files ever again as it is 3-4x the file size I could open previously, would require 256GB RAM at a minimum, and unless motherboard manufacturers would start properly supporting those ram sizes, with available 64/128GB RAM sticks in DDR4/5 it could become a problem. Although I do concur that my files can have more layers as far as I can tell right now, which I am very thankful for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Concerning slow saves for PSB files...

Yep, my newest installation of photoshop on a new computer was taking 30 minutes to save a PSB file. It was near instantaneous on my older computer. Turns out the Photoshop default installation has a tick box wrong (imo).

I checked the tick box in PS prefs; File Handling; "disable Compression of PSD and PSB Files" and saving files is now back to normal - FAST.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, PSD/PSB compression has a dramatic effect on open/save times. Ten seconds uncompressed can easily become two and a half minutes compressed, especially with layers. Compression is just calculation and encoding, it's all done in the CPU. It's not related to disk speed.

That said, if you see save times of several minutes and more, your files are extremely big (even with compression on). That means you have to take precautions! The most important one is to make sure you have enough free disk space for the scratch disk. With file sizes like this, you'll be looking at many hundreds of GB of scratch files. They have to go somewhere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brecht Corbeel what exact version of Photoshop are you using (check in help - system info)? There was an issue a few versions ago where compression was introduced on psb  files regardless of the preference setting. It was resolved in an update.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines