Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSCC2019 - bugs?

Explorer ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I am trying to make the switch to CC2019 since yesterday and I don't want to start ranting right away again but are those bugs or some of those AMAZING new design decisions?

1. Soft brushes don't show the soft falloff in the brush cursor but only the core circle. I am having my cursors set to "Normal Brushtip". PS 2015.5 shows the falloff. Were there more settings for this before that I forgot about?

2. When I use free transform (thank god you can revert back to the old transform behaviour) there is a very limited bounding box around the transform handles. Maybe I wrote this a little confusing. Before when you used free transform you could go far outside the boundaries of the visible transform box to get more precise rotating control (since the handle is further out from the pivot). Now, instead of the usual handles it just shows a mouse cursor and a single click applies the transformation. Uncool!

3. Can you set the pivot visibility to on by default??? It doesn't even make sense. Even with the checkbox off, I can set the invisible pivot and use it. So, what's the point of the toggle anyways? Just to not confuse the already way too confused people nowadays?

4. When you open the layer style blending options, why are the sliders wider than the handles? This simply makes no sense as well.

I am sure I will have a longer list in no time but those are the main things so far.

Any pointers, explanations, help is much appreciated.

Take care,

Dziga

Creating worlds for screen and paper - also offering photo resources and HDRIs on www.dziga.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 2015.5 shows the falloff.

Did you use »Full Size Brush Tip« in CC2015?

I can’t recall any noticeable difference in brush tip display since that version.

Can you set the pivot visibility to on by default?

The setting should stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the layer style blending options, why are the sliders wider than the handles?

What are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fast responses.

to 1) I am using "Normal Brushtip" in both 2015 and 2019. When I Alt+Right Click drag resize a soft brush in 2015 it shows the red falloff outside the brushcore while 2019 only shows the core without falloff. I am not a fan of "Full Size Brush Tip". I can send a screenshot later to show what I mean.

Edit: screenshots:

PSCC2019_003.jpg

PSCC2019_002.jpg

to 3) My bad, I should've first tried to see if the option sticks. Still, I don't see why it still uses and manipulates the Anchor if the toggle is off. Shouldn't this lock the pivot? Well, doesn't really matter.

to 4)

PSCC2019_001.jpg

It's not something I cannot get used to, but it is a bit confusing when setting precise ranges since the far left is not 0 and the far right not 255 since it clips earlier.

Creating worlds for screen and paper - also offering photo resources and HDRIs on www.dziga.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not something I cannot get used to, but it is a bit confusing when setting precise ranges since the far left is not 0 and the far right not 255 since it clips earlier.

Never noticed that as I tend to focus on the numeric readout anyway, I guess, but I have to agree that the change is peculiar and seems to offer no meaningful advantage.

Might be worth a report/request over on

Photoshop Family Customer Community

When I Alt+Right Click drag resize a soft brush in 2015 it shows the red falloff outside the brushcore while 2019 only shows the core without falloff.

Seems to perform differently for me, have you experimented with different Advanced settings for the Graphics Processor Settings?

brushResizeDisplay.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Tool did you have selected at that CC2019 screenshot?

The Hardness indicator being missing seems strange.

As for your original second point, the Auto-commit:

Before when you used free transform you could go far outside the boundaries of the visible transform box to get more precise rotating control (since the handle is further out from the pivot). Now, instead of the usual handles it just shows a mouse cursor and a single click applies the transformation.

So far I know of no way to restore the old behaviour.

And as one is specifically mentioned for »Transform proportionally by default« but not for »Auto-commit« on

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop

I doubt such a reset-option has been made public yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows I also see hardness in CC 2019

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it too (on MacOS 10.12.6).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting. I will do a preferences reset later and see if this restores the brush.

c.pfaffenbichler​

I had the standard brush tool active. It also painted soft, only the preview doesn't show it for me.

That's a shame about the auto commit. I will also write about this one @photoshop family.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The others have covered most of the points.

On the auto commit question. If you start the rotation near the boundary box you can move the cursor as far away as you like, to get that fine control, until you let go (even to another creen in a multi screen set up) . If you release the button then you have to move closer to the bounding box pick up again (you see the on screen cursor change when you do).

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hullo,

yeah that still works as before. It definitely is not as useful as grabing the handle far away from the object in the first place when wanting fine rotation control. And also once again it adds more steps to operations that were fast before.

The whole free transform topic is rather questionable in my opinion.

Adobe forces me to update from a perfectly fine version, I want to give it a chance and start my current job in CC2019. The first thing I have to do is to watch a video on youtube on how the transform works. After over 15 years of using Photoshop

Why do they call it free transform still, if by default the ratio is locked? 😜 And why switch up the Alt+Drag, Ctrl+Drag behaviour? Does it really make a difference what button will trigger it after such a long time of people getting used to it to switch them up?

It's not even adding new features but just changing them. I guess, there will always be people complaining and requesting those changes based on their use cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe forces me to update from a perfectly fine version

So far one can keep obsolete versions installed so how are you being forced to update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that is not true anymore. At least according to Adobe's latest email and policy updates stating that you are not allowed to use discontinued versions anymore (I think CC2017 and older) and if you continue you risk claims of infringement by third parties. Using said versions is against their ToA now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting …

Because that would seem to mean that if the CC applications will have progressed far enough users using older hardware and OS versions might be forced to upgrade those components, too, to be able to use the CC applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, in addition it will force the Windows 7 users to move to Windows 10 at one point, too. It's a lot to ask on multiple levels just to stay with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2. You can hold down [command] while transforming and you'll be able to click anywhere on the screen to perform your transform. This is dumb that you have to do this. I end up converting my objects I want to transform into smart objects so I can re-transform them, knowing I'm going to somehow accidentally auto-commit the transform.

3. I agree: did anyone really need this hidden in the first place? In case anyone doesn't know, there is a Preference to un-hide the Transform pivot point. Photoshop > Preferences > Tools, "Show Reference Point when using Transform."

4. Blend If is such a great tool and there's a list of things I'd like to see in it improved. How about something as simple as numerical inputs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines